Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-19-05, 02:55 PM  
cinza
VF Supporter

I never thought kegels are very effective.. and after reading several books on pelvic conditioning I find that kegels are just the beginning of taking care of the pelvic floor.
The whole floor is complicated, a lot of different muscles.
Pilates and yoga (except very few teachers make a point of teaching how to engage the pelvic floor... ) engage the whole floor lifting it from the tailbone, to the pubic bone and up.

The books:
Fitness for the Pelvic Floor byt Beate Carriere PT
and
Pelvic Power by Eric Franklin

Balldynamics sells the Carriere book and a video for pelvic conditioning

The Carriere book uses a stabilty ball for a lot of exercises.. the Franklin book uses small balls..

The Carriere book is for therapists and has more information about how the muscles work.. Like it requires muscular tension to release urine... that surprised me..
But then explains why we dont pee in our sleep or during deep meditation but wake up and have to goooo!

Still such stuff hasnt helped me except make me stronger
.. I have notice my hormones effect my urination..
right after ovulation the muscles get weaker and getting to the bathroom on time is a trick ... and I have to go way more often... However once into my period things get stronger again.

It is true that women can have their muscle tone change during their cycle.
cinza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-05, 03:50 PM  
nomio

Good Info and Body Rolling Question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinza
I never thought kegels are very effective.. and after reading several books on pelvic conditioning I find that kegels are just the beginning of taking care of the pelvic floor.
The whole floor is complicated, a lot of different muscles.
Pilates and yoga (except very few teachers make a point of teaching how to engage the pelvic floor... ) engage the whole floor lifting it from the tailbone, to the pubic bone and up.

The books:
Fitness for the Pelvic Floor byt Beate Carriere PT
and
Pelvic Power by Eric Franklin

Balldynamics sells the Carriere book and a video for pelvic conditioning

The Carriere book uses a stabilty ball for a lot of exercises.. the Franklin book uses small balls..

The Carriere book is for therapists and has more information about how the muscles work.. Like it requires muscular tension to release urine... that surprised me..
But then explains why we dont pee in our sleep or during deep meditation but wake up and have to goooo!

Still such stuff hasnt helped me except make me stronger
.. I have notice my hormones effect my urination..
right after ovulation the muscles get weaker and getting to the bathroom on time is a trick ... and I have to go way more often... However once into my period things get stronger again.

It is true that women can have their muscle tone change during their cycle.
Oooo Good'un, Cinza! I printed that one--Thanks again, I'll check out those books. Your info is always good. Maybe body rolling would help with increasing awareness of the muscles involved?

(BTW, how does one iron out the sore muscles on the side/back (upper rib cage/back) maybe three inches under the armpit? I tried body rolling that area and found it muy painful. Any suggestions?)

Nomio
nomio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-05, 04:54 PM  
yaya

Thanks everyone

For your replies - glad I'm not the only one who's "fit" and still can't hold it in sometimes!

I will check out the recommended books and possible the PT; they certainly can't hurt.

yaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-05, 05:37 PM  
cinza
VF Supporter

One of the books " pelvic power ", has small ball work so yes it can help.
The other book has large ball work..
Both books are alike but both have a few good things the other one doesnt have.
cinza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-05, 08:35 PM  
seriellen

My mom had to have surgery to correct this problem too. But all she had to do was sneeze or laugh to "leak". She had the surgery about 10 years ago, and it solved everything.
seriellen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
incontinence, pelvic floor dysfunction