Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-04, 11:27 AM  
pshmn

getting muscle--weight lifting versus calisthenics?

I'm wondering if one can get muscle without doing traditional weight-lifting? If I were to follow a strict yoga, pilates, callanetics regime, would I be able to get and maintain imporved muscle tone?
Do exercises that use one's own body weight help to increase muscle?
pshmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-04, 03:47 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Others with more knowledge will probably pipe in here, but it's my understanding that you can definitely build muscle with body weight exercises, but it takes isolation work with weights to make the muscles visibly pop out.
Old 01-17-04, 03:55 PM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

Re: getting muscle--weight lifting versus calisthenics?

Quote:
Originally posted by pshmn
I'm wondering if one can get muscle without doing traditional weight-lifting? If I were to follow a strict yoga, pilates, callanetics regime, would I be able to get and maintain imporved muscle tone?
Do exercises that use one's own body weight help to increase muscle?
Slim Series: Firm it up is an awesome 'no weights' strength workout.

From what I've seen from some power yoga workouts, you can develop some nice strength.

You might want to check out some of the reviews from Tari Rose's Hard Body Yoga...

GymRatt
GymRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-04, 10:35 PM  
pshmn

I've heard some things expecially about yoga regarding how it increase total body strength, and I know that you can tone your body with yoga, pilates, and LB, Bar Method, or Callanetics type exercises. However, is there a limit to the muscle that you will get with such body-weight exercises?

Yes, I figured that weight-lifting will make the muscles pop out more and become more visible to the eye...and also one can work specific muscle groups with weight-lifting, whereas with the other kind of exercises (using body weight), there is less target training...is this fair to say?

Thanks for any clarifications on this.

I haven't tried Slim Series yet, because I'm a fairly new home exerciser, but once I get through all my videos AND can afford new ones, I might consider it! Thanks for the great suggestion. It seems like a lot of people like SS.
Old 01-17-04, 10:37 PM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

Quote:
I haven't tried Slim Series yet, because I'm a fairly new home exerciser, but once I get through all my videos AND can afford new ones, I might consider it! Thanks for the great suggestion. It seems like a lot of people like SS.
Keep your eye on the VF Exchange...just as many people 'dis'like SS, too.

You might be able to get the whole set in a trade...

GymRatt
GymRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-04, 01:25 PM  
Seabush

I definitely believe you can acquire muscles and improve strength and definition doing calisthenics. Push-ups (works chest, triceps, shoulders), pull-ups (works the back and biceps), squats (works hamstrings, glutes, quadriceps), and sit-ups (works abs) give you a total body workout. If you can do unassisted pull-ups and push-ups, you've got a lot of strength.

Crystal
Seabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-04, 06:40 PM  
LaurenDoon
VF Supporter

I was surprised how muscular my son had become when I saw him after Marine bootcamp.
He said it was all from push-ups- they do not weight train. But, again, it was A LOT of push-ups.

Lauren
LaurenDoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-04, 07:06 PM  
Inchworm

I definitely noticed some really nice muscle definition

with a Pilates/Callanetics/Lotte Berke/Yoga Ballet style of workout. They are all about lengthening, so you won't get the bulky muscles. I have to say that my legs were just as toned, if not better while doing this kind of workout as opposed to weights only. I have a definite hamstring, however, a sleekly muscular kind, not bulky.

Kelly
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-04, 10:39 PM  
pshmn

Thanks for all your replies! I am fairly satisfied now about sticking to my calisthenics routine for a while. Having a lean and toned body is fine with me...
The reason I asked this question was because, although I like the feeling of muscle exhaustion after weight training, I find Pilates/Yoga/Callanetics/Ballet exercises much more *fun* and so I tend to choose such workouts more than the straight weight-work, or AWT videos.
From all of your responses, I think I will be able to continue my regime without feeling like I am "missing out" on something...
Thanks!
Old 01-18-04, 10:46 PM  
Seabush

Quote:
Thanks for all your replies! I am fairly satisfied now about sticking to my calisthenics routine for a while. Having a lean and toned body is fine with me...
The reason I asked this question was because, although I like the feeling of muscle exhaustion after weight training, I find Pilates/Yoga/Callanetics/Ballet exercises much more *fun* and so I tend to choose such workouts more than the straight weight-work, or AWT videos.
From all of your responses, I think I will be able to continue my regime without feeling like I am "missing out" on something...
Thanks!
What is your calisthenics routine?

Crystal
Seabush is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calisthenics, hard body yoga