Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Polls

View Poll Results: Are you dealing with Bone Loss?
I have no bone loss. 12 21.43%
I have Osteopenia. 12 21.43%
I have Osteoporosis. 13 23.21%
I dont know if I have Bone Loss! 19 33.93%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-19, 07:52 AM  
killoffsonny

Thanks Lanette. Very interesting. I bought a hand gripper at a sporting goods store a few months ago because I noticed my grip getting weaker. The other two parts of this test I had not problem with but I do a lot of pilates and most of my classes practice balance.
Old 02-27-19, 09:09 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I should get those grippers too - I can ace all the other tests.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-19, 10:37 PM  
killoffsonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I should get those grippers too - I can ace all the other tests.
They really do help. Or you can get those small balls to squeeze
Old 03-01-19, 08:28 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thanks Becky! Hmm, I have stress balls at the office - maybe I should just use those.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 07:40 PM  
Tanja

I am 51. I had a scan earlier this year and it showed osteopenia. I went to an orthopedic surgeon for a knee problem. After I got a steroid shot in the knee I did some exercise and this aggravated my issue. Therefore, he determined that my knee pain had its origin somewhere else and ordered a hip/lower spine x-ray. There he has seen that my bone density was low and I had to take the bone density scan. I am 5ft 10, 170 lbs, not post menopausal, small framed, video exerciser for 20 plus years. He thinks that because I nursed my babies for at least 36 months that this sucked the calcium out of my bones.
I am taking one caltrate a day, and add a citracal serving on some days.
The New York Times has an opinion piece about osteopenia. The writer says comparing your bones at 50 to your bones at 30 and then concluding that your bones are sick, is like saying you have a skin disease at 50 because your skin is more wrinkly than at 30. I agree with her. https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/...ltPosition=1th

I will take another test in two years.
Tanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-19, 12:38 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanja View Post
I am 51. I had a scan earlier this year and it showed osteopenia. I went to an orthopedic surgeon for a knee problem. After I got a steroid shot in the knee I did some exercise and this aggravated my issue. Therefore, he determined that my knee pain had its origin somewhere else and ordered a hip/lower spine x-ray. There he has seen that my bone density was low and I had to take the bone density scan. I am 5ft 10, 170 lbs, not post menopausal, small framed, video exerciser for 20 plus years. He thinks that because I nursed my babies for at least 36 months that this sucked the calcium out of my bones.
I am taking one caltrate a day, and add a citracal serving on some days.
The New York Times has an opinion piece about osteopenia. The writer says comparing your bones at 50 to your bones at 30 and then concluding that your bones are sick, is like saying you have a skin disease at 50 because your skin is more wrinkly than at 30. I agree with her. https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/...ltPosition=1th

I will take another test in two years.
Tanja, there are lots of resources about bone loss. I recommend MelioGuide as one for starters. Margaret Martin has many articles and books. She made a DVD which is OK, not great:

https://melioguide.com/

A book I recommend is, "The Myth of Osteoporosis" by Gillian Sanson. ETA: Yikes, the price for the paperback is crazy. Try the Kindle edition:

https://www.amazon.com/Myth-Osteopor...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Take care and good luck!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back surgery, bone loss, osteopenia, osteoporosis