Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-17-15, 05:04 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by marya View Post
--I prefer to do yoga to the music and tempo of Gregorian Chant. So, I'll likely revert to paper for yoga in 2016, and I'll just have to create my own progressions.
I had done just that, for close to 7 years. But for the final year, I'd had to go all "His Master's Voice" on myself, and follow the self-narrated sequence along with prompts, alignment cues and affirmations, recorded (sometimes while doing) onto my own mp3's.

Since I'd based that sequence on scores of live classes, Videos, CDs, flash card sets and yoga blogs - hence a syncretic yoga-pilates fusion "mutt" with no one yoga lineage (rather, about 4 or more ...) ... I did not bring it up too much over at VF (for reasons which SHOULD be obvious to Toaster and others), but talked about having done just that at former blogs.

The best thing about paper workouts is that they can change frequently over time ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-15, 05:27 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marya View Post
Me, too! But with the exception of Stronger Standing Balance (thanks for your review, VVFer) and a precious few others, I suspect that in 2016 most of my yoga DVDs will be resold or donated. Yesterday at the library I perused the book "2,100 Asanas" and realized the poverty of current yoga DVD offerings. It also hit me that I could think of only two yoga workouts that offered an effective progressive option: the aforementioned Stronger Standing Balance and Suzanne Deason's Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss. Plus--I prefer to do yoga to the music and tempo of Gregorian Chant. So, I'll likely revert to paper for yoga in 2016, and I'll just have to create my own progressions.
Ditto! Isn't that an amazing book ?!? I doubt if I've been exposed to 20% of the poses available. I realized the same about progressions and canceled my YogaGlo subscription. I'm only going to move forward by using books and "paper" sequences.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-15, 05:30 PM  
Chomper

Oh wow, I hadn't even thought about paper yoga workouts... Mind is blown!
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-15, 05:41 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
Oh wow, I hadn't even thought about paper yoga workouts... Mind is blown!
Glad for that

Just make sure you time it to the right tempo of music.
Doesn't have to be Deva Premal.
Some people practice flows using no music, but an actual metronome, hourglass (egg-timer) or non-ticking timer.

Um, and yes; I am far from allergic to chanting.
The "woo" is missing from a lot of DVDs, as is a lengthy enough savasana. But you guys already knew that (and you probably avoided this issue).

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-15, 07:02 PM  
jilybeann

For the past few years the majority of my strength workouts have been paper workouts and I love them.

Other than music, I find that having a timer going for each block of exercises helps me stay on track and focused. It also helps me make sure I have long enough rests during heavy sets.
jilybeann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-15, 12:12 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

What is this Stronger Standing Balance DVD? Sounds interesting. I love balancing poses.

ETA: Found Vintage's post on this. Thanks for mentioning it.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-15, 03:27 AM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
Glad for that Um, and yes; I am far from allergic to chanting. The "woo" is missing from a lot of DVDs, as is a lengthy enough savasana. But you guys already knew that (and you probably avoided this issue).
I also like lengthy savasanas, and even when I don't altogether subscribe to it, I find a certain measure of "woo" relaxing.

Thank you for mentioning the yoga flash cards, Bettina--I'd forgotten all about those. They'd be an invaluable aid to paper yoga workouts!
marya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paper workouts