Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-12-14, 03:47 PM  
ccfields81

Rebounder after back surgery

Im 50yrs old and working out has been my passion since I was a teen. I was diagnsoed with scoliosis at 14 which kick started me into a healthy lifestyle. I did very well over the years maintaing the double curves but now they are advancing and compromising my lung capacity and other organs requiring me to begin planning for the surgery. I will have 28rods and 32 screws and anchors down in both hips to stablize all the hardware. I know I will have to modify many of the workouts I currently do and Im wondering if a rebounder would be good for me to use after the surgery. Can anyone tell me if they are safe enough to use for someone like me with alot of hardware and precautions? Can you fall off them easy? I will be swimming alot but want to somehow continue with my aerobics.

Thank you!
Cynthia
ccfields81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 05:30 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Cynthia - I wish you a speedy recovery from the surgery! Do you have it scheduled yet? I would consult your doctor and physio before doing any significant impact exercise. I love my rebounder, use it regularly just freestyle jumping while I watch tv. I think your plan to hit the pool is a really good one. I have had a few injuries & surgeries over the years and have always found swimming a good way to get impact free cardio while I am recovering.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 07:15 PM  
ccfields81

Yogapam-
Thanks for fast response! My surgery will be in late Novemeber or early December. I still have insurance loops to go through and lots of pre-op stuff. As of now Im soaking in every minute of my yoga, pilates, and aerobic dvd's Ive accumulated over the years. I just keep thinking the rebounder will help me keep low impact but worried about the balance on it.

Cynthia
Old 07-12-14, 07:49 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Cynthia - If you are worried about balance on the rebounder you can get a handle bar for most models or place a sturdy chair beside it to steady yourself if needed. Do you have a bungee rebounder? I have a JumpSport and find it much a softer/gentler bounce than the spring Urban Rebounder I had before.

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Old 07-12-14, 07:58 PM  
andtckrtoo

A friends daughter just went through similar surgery. It was rough, but it did get better. Her first workouts were in the pool to keep the stress off her back.
Old 07-12-14, 08:06 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I agree wholeheartedly with Christine, definitely start with the pool.

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

Old 07-12-14, 09:28 PM  
ccfields81

I have yet to get a rebounder as I dont know for sure which one to purchase but I agree I will have to have the handle bars with it. Im very lucky to live in a town that has a community center with two big pools that I plan on using to help me. I started going last week and swimming laps...wow...I thought I was in shape...but dang after four laps it was taking everything I had to pull myself up out of the water. I have an entire new respect for swimmers and the power of water.

Cynthia
Old 07-13-14, 08:26 AM  
BunnyHop

I'd definitely talk with your doctor and therapists about whether or not rebounding would be safe in your specific situation before you buy one. No point getting spendy for nothing.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back surgery