Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-29-03, 12:52 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Oh yeah, I remember!

But I'm guess I'm thinking more of people who are unfamiliar with yoga postures themselves.

Does she just say, for example, "Go into downward dog," or does she explain what it is, how to do it, how your body should be positioned?

Don't know why I want so much info on something I already got rid of, I think I'm just in a mode where I'm looking for a lot of info, and am therefore also trying to put more out there (chiding myself for not posting all the reviews floating around in my head!)
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-03, 01:22 PM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

Hi again!

You know the funniest thing is that I got ATRM right after it came out, BEFORE I had done ANY yoga or pilates at all.
I thought it was the weirdest thing I had ever experienced! I could not understand why she kept on doing this weird pushup thing over and over again!(upward and downward dog) LOL!
Now that I've done some yoga tapes and am familiar with the basic poses maybe it would be a workout I would find useful.

Isn't it funny though how determined I am to actually find a way to say I'm doing some yoga without actually doing it??! What's with that? I don't love to lift weights, but I know I need to so I do it. What's with yoga that I just can't do it??

You guys have been so helpful!

Deanne-I'd love to take you up on the offer to try it before I buy it. The only thing I thought I might not like from looking at the clip was the music. But who knows?

Thanks so much everyone!
Janet
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-03, 01:31 PM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

ATRM

I had the same reaction to ATRM, didnt' realize what a downward dog was or why she kept repeating that sequence. I like it much more now.

Donna K
DHKWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-03, 01:40 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by frostyjan
Isn't it funny though how determined I am to actually find a way to say I'm doing some yoga without actually doing it??! What's with that? I don't love to lift weights, but I know I need to so I do it. What's with yoga that I just can't do it??
Two suggestions that I have to "doing yoga without actually doing it" would be Minna Lessig's Strength & Grace (also on the Balanced Blend DVD), it's not yoga, but it's "yogish" and you might like it. She does a really good job of instructing. It's a pretty unique tape, in my opinion.

The second one I'd recommend that you might like is the Slim Series Cool It Off. I've seen it on a lot of people's trade lists, so I'm sure you could pick it up on the exchange.
Old 08-30-03, 11:23 PM  
rad

Re: I think

Quote:
Originally posted by deanne
Janet, that since you aren't necessarily looking for yoga that you may still like this one! I REALLY like it personally. I guess it's what you are expecting?

I find that it is a strength workout made up of yoga moves. NOT a pure yoga workout.
I was thinking exactly this when I read Collage's description of this tape in their new catalogue this morning. It is depicted as a Strength tape using yoga moves. With that association, this tape might work for you, Janet.
rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-03, 05:49 AM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally posted by Loretta S.
Two suggestions that I have to "doing yoga without actually doing it" would be Minna Lessig's Strength & Grace (also on the Balanced Blend DVD), it's not yoga, but it's "yogish" and you might like it. She does a really good job of instructing. It's a pretty unique tape, in my opinion.

The second one I'd recommend that you might like is the Slim Series Cool It Off. I've seen it on a lot of people's trade lists, so I'm sure you could pick it up on the exchange.
I second Loretta's recommendations. I have a hard time finding anything even in the "yogish" family that I like, and I really like both of these.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-03, 09:52 AM  
kathym
VF Supporter

Liked it

I liked Hard Body Yoga. I wish the DVD had been broken down a bit more but it wasn't bad for a first effort.

The DVD sections were: Full Workout, Warmup (about 6 minutes of sun salutation), bodywork, abs, and final stretch.

Tari does 3 sets of the same type of exercise per longer set. The first set is the full explanation while working out, the second set includes modifications to make it easier. In a set she does the exercise at a quicker speed (about 3 times) and then does 1 slow count. For example she does a warrior lunge to the left side with 3 faster reps of lunge into warrior. Then she does a 10 count down into the lunge, then she holds in the lunge for a 10 count, then does a 10 count up. That is what all of the counting is about. Then she does the other side.

I can remember the first few sections were :
-Sun Salutation - warm up
-Chair pose with pulsing arms to back
-Downward dog with leg lifts (downward dog through plank to upward dog 3 repititions then 10 count down and 10 count up then right and left alternating leg lifts. This would be 1 set. Then repeat 3 times.
-Plie squats 3 faster then 10 count down, reach left, reach right then 10 count up. (Something like this)
-warrior lunges
-side plank alternate left and right 3 times, hold 10 count on each side then negative lower pushup
-....more
-bridge move regular then with right and left leg raised
-inner thigh and ab work

Sorry I can't think of more. Hope this helps.
I think for a first effort this is quite nice. You can make this workout as hard or as easy as you would like. I does seem a bit long and it is repetitive in that each sequence is done 3 times before you move on to the next one. It is more like a weight lifting sequence in that respect I guess.

The instructors wore gray long workout pants and blue tops. I don't remember the music at all so it must not have been memorable. I thought the production quality was quite nice. Tari gave many form pointers.

Other workouts somewhat like this are All The Right Moves and Leigh Crews Reebok Final Cuts. I really like Leigh Crews workout but the set is somewhat darker and she does the video one on one. Her instruction is very nice. All The Right Moves takes getting used to. I also hated the intro, but have now gotten the DVD so skip it.

I will keep this workout. I felt nicely sore the next day. I also kept Leigh Crews and All The Right Moves.

Tari gave instruction on the poses so I think someone with a little yoga experience would be quite comfortable with this. She did not just mention the pose by name. I hope she does more videos.

Tags
hard body yoga