Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-13, 03:48 PM  
wlorrie

Review Ninja Mega System blender

There has been a lot of talk about blenders and I wanted to give my review on this on. I’ve been longing for a Vitamix, but I can’t really afford one right now. I bought this one instead. It cost around $200 with shipping and handling. I’ve had my Ninja for a year now, and so far I really like it.

I see that Ninja has a newer, more powerful model out now, but this review is for older the BL770 model. It has 1500 watts of power and comes with 2 self-serve cups, a processing bowl and a 72 oz pitcher. I mainly use the processor bowl and the single serve cups since I’m in a household of 1.

For green smoothies—I tried it in the large pitcher with kale, carrots, celery and a few frozen strawberries. It did ok, not as fine as I would like it, as there were tiny green specks of kale in the smoothie. When I tried it the single serve cups, it totally pulverized everything into a smooth, velvelty mix in about 10 seconds! It does seem to pulverize things finer and faster in the single serve cups which are about 20 ounces.

As for dough- I’ve made bread dough, pizza dough, pie crusts, scones without any problem

Whipped banana “ice cream”- did a fine job with churning the frozen banana into soft serve “ice cream”

Grinding meat- I’ve ground turkey and chicken breast with no problem.

I’ve also made nut butters, frozen drinks, oatmeal flour, cheeseballs, hummus, processed veggies and nuts with no problem.

Pros: fast, efficient, powerful, inexpensive, easy to clean up, has suction cups to lock it in place
Cons: loud (not as bad as some of the reviews made it out to be), no vents so you cannot use very hot foods in it, the blades are sharp so you must be very careful with them, blending in the larger pitcher seems to reduce its power.
I may eventually get a Vitamix, but for now, I’m very happy with this purchase.

Lorrie
wlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-13, 04:24 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Thanks for the review, Lorrie.

I my Ninja.

I could do a lot of stuff with it and used it almost daily.

Alas, it lasted only about 18 months.

It was my gateway drug to my Vitamix. Truthfully, I liked my Ninja just as much as my VM.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-13, 06:53 PM  
klutze01

Thank you for this review! I really want a Vitamix too but can't afford one right now so am looking into the alternatives.

Tags
blender, blenders, ninja