Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-24-21, 02:57 PM  
Gams

Height

Has anyone here had their height checked at the doctor’s office recently? They will check mine before surgery next month, but I heard from a very close friend who just had her height checked at the doctor’s and she’s 3 inches shorter than she used to be (she’s 66 years old) and she’s freaking out. She didn’t believe them so she checked at home and it turns out they were right. I hope I haven’t lost any height.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-21, 03:09 PM  
Erica H.

I've lost some height (I'm 53). Used to be a solid 5'7" and I think I've lost 1/2-3/4"

I think losing some height is normal as we age, but three inches seems like a lot!

ETA - https://www.healthywomen.org/content...rter-i-used-be
https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article...as%20you%20age.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-21, 04:04 PM  
LAC

Your friend may want to be evaluated for osteoporosis and vertebral compression fractures. Sometimes such fractures are painful, sometimes they are undetected until there is a noticeable loss in height. I think I read a recommendation somewhere that a loss over 2 inches be looked into.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-21, 04:21 PM  
laurajhawk

I'm 5 feet and half an inch. Right after I did an Ultimate Yogi rotation, my doctor measured me at 5 ft 1 inch, and I thought that was so cool! But I've since lost that half-inch again. When I recently saw my mom and aunt (both age 82), they commented that I'm taller than they are now - and it's true; they were about 2 in taller than me and now they are shorter.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-21, 04:27 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

height can change overnight regardless of age.

at the end of the day, for example, you are usually shorter than at the beginning. this is because when you wake up from sleep, the fluid sacs between your vertebrae have been at rest and have literally expanded from sleeping all night and being in the horizontal position.

during the day, your spine is in the vertical position and with gravity and fatigue, will compress the sacs.

for the age-related height changes that others posted about, that also contributes to a decrease.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-21, 07:49 AM  
killoffsonny

Had it checked at the doctors a month ago. I'm still 5'4" which is what I was when I graduated High School. I'm 67 and have osteoporosis.
Old 06-25-21, 07:56 AM  
BunnyHop

I once knew a woman who seems to have gotten shorter because an entire vertebrae disappeared. This is rare, but not unheard of.
Old 06-25-21, 08:04 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

At my last checkup, it appears that I've lost an inch - from 5'7" to 5'6". I got excellent results from my last dexa scan so right now I chalk up this "loss" to the sloppiness of the nurse who weighed and measured me. She rushed through things and according to her I weighed 7 lbs less than I knew I actually weighed and I had to ask her to recheck. She didn't like being corrected. I'm seeing my doctor next week and I'll ask them to recheck.
Old 06-25-21, 08:11 AM  
Izzy

At my physical in 2019 my height showed I was 1" shorter. I had a bone density test and it confirmed it. But I don't need to get my height taken at the doctors. My daughter reminds me every time she sees me that I am shrinking.
Old 06-25-21, 10:13 AM  
Kizzy

Boy, after reading these posts I got nervous and had my husband measure me! LOL!! I'm 64 years old...5 foot and 3/4 inches... and HOLDING!!! Thank goodness!! My mom has osteoporosis and my sister has been diagnosed with osteopenia. I see an MD who practices integrated medicine and had me taking Calcium years ago. Between taking that supplement and working out with a lot of walking thrown in (I do not do much with weights) I'm thinking it has all helped.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, height