Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-21, 07:20 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Yesterday I took an unscheduled but needed rest day. Today I realized I didn't have enough time to do Kat's step so pushed that off until tomorrow and instead did what I *thought* would be easier---Cathe Live #159 Birthday Bash! I've noticed that the "holiday" Cathe Lives tend to be a little less strenuous but this one definitely was not! Part 1 was boxing and kickboxing combos, part 2 was blasts, and part 3 was hi/lo throwback to the 80s. It was a lot of fun but tough for me! I think it was tough for Cathe too since she took "breaks" and walked around the class more than she usually does. Hah! I'm wise to her tricks! I fully admit I did not do the one armed burpees. I can't remember where in the workout they were, but i said nope. Oh, I forgot to mention, there is a class member in this workout that I've seen before but Cathe said is Brenda's daughter! She does have the same smile as Brenda. Maybe I'm the last to know that Brenda's daughter was in some Live classes, but just in case I'm not, she is!!

FN1, so happy to see you post! I admit that since my leg inflammation issue I have been much more willing to modify when I feel the move just isn't something I wanna do---see the one armed burpees comment above. I don't want to risk another injury or some long lasting issue. Maybe I'm finally getting smarter as I get older? I do think that you will be able to do *some* Cathe once you've given yourself time to heal, but modify more than you've been doing. It's been tough for me to bring it down a notch, but I feel better for it and I'm sure my aging body will be better off for it.

manley, I think you must be named FN3 for working out right when you got home from vacation. Take care of that hip!

So *my* baseball team won the series with Mr. Cat's team 3-1. Mr. Cat was actually happy for me since, well, my team has been due south of stellar and they needed this boost more. He does like my team and roots for them when they aren't playing his team, so he was very gracious about it. It was nice that a rookie pitcher from Scranton did so well---5 "perfect" innings before a rain delay. He had 18 friends and family at his major league debut so I know they were excited for him.

Waves to everyone! Hope we all have a great week of good health and healing!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-21, 09:04 PM  
fanofladyvols

Bee and kittybug I thoroughly enjoyed my rotation of Slim in 6 and Slim series ...BUT I did add my own music. Other than that, it was a wonderful workout time. I actually intend to do it again once I have Cathe's new bands in hand.

Kittybug some gentle windchime studded hugs for you

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-21, 04:06 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Happy Monday, Fierce Ones!

Oh kittybug, nice to hear from you but I'm sorry everything has been kicking you! You will definitely get back to Cathe -- as cataddict says, modified perhaps, but in the meantime let's have a Slim Series party! It's a little scary to me that these days I feel like if I just take a long weekend off I still have to build back up to it, but maybe it's partly because I was overdoing it for a while. I hope that all the other stuff keeping you so busy eases up soon -- and also hope that the horrible hot spell is not hitting you. I'm not quite sure where you are or how big that hot balloon is.

cataddict, that birthday bash sounds tough indeed! It is funny to me the very rare times I see that Cathe needs a bit of a break. You were definitely not the last to know Brenda has a daughter in the Lives. How cool that she likes the same workouts! I did not even imagine Brenda having a daughter. I always think about her doing the triathlons or whatever it was she used to do... never thought about her being a mom or anything. To me Brenda seems eternally young! She has such a youthful face and fun smile. And, I suppose I'm also watching nearly 20 year old videos of her. And you can always count me out on one armed burpees.

Today I did an easy quick yoga to ease myself back into the yoga ouchies. I really liked it! This would be a great before bed practice. So for those who have an Inner Dimension subscription and want something like that, check out Jenny's Cozy Slow Flow. I thought I could "favorite" things on ID, and I definitely would for this one, but it seems like they don't have that feature. Followed that with a walk in the tree farm with my friend. Back to Slim Series tomorrow. Oh and Linda, yes, I was thinking I might need to mute and play my own music!!

Hugs to all my fierce friends......
Old 06-28-21, 06:09 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hello, Watulan friends!

Today I did Cathe Live #48 Lower Body Burn to finish out my makeshift rotation. It was tough but not killer. I think tomorrow I will finally do the Kat advanced step I've been talking about but not doing then start on a 2Lazy Best of Cathe Live rotation or maybe one that focuses on strength. I seem to do much better when I have some sort of "rotation" to follow, meaning I am getting more balanced work.

bee, Brenda looks almost the same in the 20 year old workouts as she does in the most recent ones, at least to me! She must have an aging portrait in her closet. She's always been my favorite Cathe crew member---natural looking smile and she sometimes makes tiny mistakes that makes her relatable to me.

Waving to all! Stay fierce!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Old 06-28-21, 06:24 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Yes, cataddict, I know what you mean about Brenda.... she's very relatable! And forever youthful, too!

I have a strange question for anyone who might be able to chime in (thinking Kate here, but maybe others, too). I'm trying to book a flight to take my kid to college in Ohio and there's a connection at the Minneapolis airport that is only 39 minutes. Do you think that's too slim a margin to bet on? It seems like the airlines are having problems with so many late flights. If I knew they were both running late, it might be fine, but I worry about missing the connection. What would you (any of you) do....... (the flight options, in general, are pretty awful!)
Old 06-28-21, 09:26 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Yes, cataddict, I know what you mean about Brenda.... she's very relatable! And forever youthful, too!

I have a strange question for anyone who might be able to chime in (thinking Kate here, but maybe others, too). I'm trying to book a flight to take my kid to college in Ohio and there's a connection at the Minneapolis airport that is only 39 minutes. Do you think that's too slim a margin to bet on? It seems like the airlines are having problems with so many late flights. If I knew they were both running late, it might be fine, but I worry about missing the connection. What would you (any of you) do....... (the flight options, in general, are pretty awful!)
bee, we flew quite a bit pre-pandemic and almost always had to change planes in various airports. We would allow an hour between flights. If you are checking luggage I would allow more than that so the bags will end up at the same airport as your final destination. We haven't checked bags in years to save time and avoid our bags going to Hawaii when we were going to St Louis (which has happened). I haven't been to the Minneapolis airport so I can't speak about timing there in particular. If you do need to take that flight I definitely would stick to a carryon bag and wear comfortable shoes in case you need to run to the next flight (we've also had to do that since initial flight was an hour late coming in), but personally I would not leave so little time between flights. Hope this doesn't sound too negative but we've had far too many not-so-good experiences with mishaps with connections! Even ended up renting a car in the middle of the night in Baltimore and driving all night to get home the next morning. So many things can go wrong---weather, mechanical issues, etc.---we tend to maybe be overly cautious. But look at it this way---it's an adventure!

Someone else please pop in and say that flying now is a dream!!

Old 06-29-21, 09:19 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post

Someone else please pop in and say that flying now is a dream!!
I'll pop in here and say my husband recently flew for what should have been a short trip and found it to be anything but a dream. Long, long lines at every step, particularly for the rental car. He left in the morning and while with this particular trip he usually gets where he's going by early afternoon, this time he didn't call me until 7:00 at night! Just crazy...Bee, I agree with FN2, you need more time for sure!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-21, 09:38 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Hey you Slim Series gals, I realized I must have got rid of Firm it Up (the lower body workout) and Cool it Off (the stretch one) years ago. Bummer! Do I need to reacquire copies of those??

Well, along with those I also found all my Ellen Barrett and Jessica Smith DVDs so I have other stuff to use, I suppose. You know, when I can move better again. Speaking of...

So Sunday I tried and failed miserably to do some Essentrics. It's hard to do any floor work when you can't lie flat and it hurts to get up and down! Then yesterday I wanted to try something low impact, low key, just to get the blood moving while being careful about said blood moving.

Watulans, I owe Cathe an apology. I think I tried Cardio Party one time and had said in the past it was neither cardio nor a party. I was so wrong! It was SO perfect yesterday for what I needed and fun and what was I thinking before?? So glad I hung onto this one. I tried to do the extended stretch too but alas, I had to modify the heck out of that until I can lie flat on the floor again or do any down dog/up dogging. Sigh. Baby steps!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-21, 12:02 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hello!

cataddict and kittybug, not negative at all.... just realistic, which is what I was thinking, but just hopeful that it would work. I think I just have to get psyched for a really long day or maybe do a "red eye" -- seems silly to think about taking a red eye on what seems like not that long of a flight, but whatever. It is what it is. I think we will be checking a bag unless we just ship his stuff to him -- which may be cheaper! Looks like even United might be charging for a carry on bag now -- or maybe it was just an option on google flights. Honestly I find this process incredibly stressful. DH said he'd look at it but I'm afraid he will sit on it too long and I just want it done. I'm going to try to book today. Thanks for your thoughts!!

Oh kittybug I'm sorry you are struggling so -- sounds very painful. I'm glad you realized you enjoy Cardio Party since that is one of my favorites! As for Firm It Up -- I did that one today and hmmmm, do you need it? I dunno..... you've probably already read some reviews, but just in case.... reviews say it's a very tough non-weighted lower body workout. I did not find it "very tough". The first half is standing -- variations of squats and side kicks for the most part. No lunges at all. The second half is all floor work -- a lot of glut squeeze variations, a fair bit of inner thigh work, and some very traditional crunch work at the end. I like that it's different than most lower body workouts I have being non weighted, and I did think she gave fairly good form pointers for the second half so that I really felt it. But do you *need* it? Well, as a vidiot you probably do. Oh, and as for Cool it Off..... reviews seem good, but I feel like with all your yoga options and youtube, you could probably find something as good.

fanofladyvols, I started the warm up and right away remembered your tip and restarted with music muted and had my own playlist going. It was a little odd in that I definitely had to be off beat most of the time. But the music was way better, for sure.

Hope people are staying cool..... wherever you are...... xox
Old 06-29-21, 12:03 PM  
Mickey12

Ok, I have lots of catching up to do.

Kittybug I am pretty sure I have those Slim in 6 workouts you mentioned since I believe I have the whole series. I did them once and hated them. You may have them all if you want. I still have your address so I can mail them to you.

ManleyM I watched some of the women's gymnastics on Sunday night. It made me so nervous! It's crazy, but seeing them perform for such high stakes just gives me butterflies. I feel so bad for those that don't qualify when they are all performing at such a high level and so close in the scores. I felt awful for the woman that fell in her floor routine. (can't recall her name). I feel this way during the actual Olympic competition too. I mean, they are ALL great to even be able to GET to the Olympics.

Cataddict a rookie pitcher from Scranton? That's in my and ChelePA's neck of the woods. If I followed baseball I would probably know his name. I'm not really much of a sports fan except for golf and I don't watch that as much as I used to.

And ChelePA so, so, happy to have a post from you. I think about you often and hope you're healing and not in too much pain.

Super cool about Brenda's daughter too. As Bee mentioned, I also don't really think of her has having children. Remember when Cathe used to post pictures of her sons in her emails, or newsletter, or website, what ever that was she used to send out? I liked seeing them.

Our Gettysburg trip was very enjoyable and a lot of fun. We had excellent weather. We did all the National Park Service ranger programs that were available [4 of them] (I love them and was very sad when they weren't offered last year), we did two bus tours of the battlefield; we rented Ebikes and rode through the battlefield; we sat for a special presentation about a new museum opening up in September; we did a walking tour of the town with a focus on the Irish civilians and Irish that fought; we did some shopping; we went to the National Cemetery for the playing of taps (they do this every evening at 7 pm and it's a very beautiful, but short, ceremony).

One of the best parts was hiking to the top of Big Round Top. Most people don't go up there since there aren't many monuments up there and the climb is very steep (although it only takes about 10 minutes). It was something we never did before and I'm so glad we went up. Another highlight was finding two monuments documenting regiments from a neighboring Luzerne county that fought at the battle. We were looking for a monument with a regiment from another neighboring county (Susquehanna) that we knew fought there, but while we didn't find Susquehanna mentioned, we did find Luzerne.

Workouts are still pretty scattered and uninspired. I was going to exercise yesterday and ran out of energy. Lets hope for today!

Tags
watulan check-in