Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-30-21, 06:04 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Human 2.0 seems to post a lot of good stuff. I have done other mobility routines from them, and I think I recently found a new Kathy Smith there too.

I updated for today. Tomorrow I'll be teaching (first time back to the Mind-Body-Brew series I do with my friend since pre-pandemic), so that will probably be my practice, possibly some reading too.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 08:04 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post
One of my belated posts that will appear on General Discussion someday, so I hope, concerns some related cuing guidelines that came from a certain instructor: you had named four guidelines about cuing, and this planned post is the result of searching for those phrases. The search led me to an article on the Yoga International site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Does the "you" in this mean me? If so, I don't remember my own guidelines! Maybe it was something that came up when I was doing my YTT...regardless, I'd definitely be interested to hear more about this as well.
I found both the article and your post, first through searching the Yoga International site and then some keywords to search VF posts.

(Before you view this article: When I last visited in 2020, the site allowed non-members three free views a month. I don't know the current policy, but I don't want to test the site yet. I intend to view this page only when I'm ready to write more about the concepts because I don't want to "waste" any views before I'm ready. )

Article: The Importance of Body-Affirming Language in Yoga Class

Your post was from 2020, the latest conversation so far in the thread The Yoga Workshop Reporter (emphasis added at the specific portion):

Quote:
Hi everyone--I know that this is an old thread, but it's got great info, and I hope others will keep adding to it too!

Last weekend I went to two workshops with Jennifer Kreatsoulus, a yoga teacher and therapist who specializes in yoga for eating disorders. I'm a yoga teacher and psychologist myself, so I went to both her morning workshop, which was on body mindful yoga, and the one in the afternoon, which was on cueing for teachers. Both workshops had about 11-12 participants (some overlap, some different).

In the morning workshop, Jennifer talked about "appreciation," asking us how we view appreciation and how we show it for others, ourselves, and for our bodies. There was a lot of discussion/sharing (all in the room identifying as women) plus a short yoga practice. At the end, we gave each other a "gift"--e.g., people chose gifts such as kindness, caring, acceptance, etc. (My gift was "see the good.")

A lot of what we did in the afternoon was familiar to me, is it centered largely around language, and I've done a lot of reading in this area as it relates to trauma-informed and accessible yoga. Jennifer built on some of the things introduced in her own book, Body Mindful Yoga, which I had already read. She introduced 4 concepts for cueing that are relevant for how I teach my yoga classes (and really, how I conduct much of therapy sessions as well): 1) curious inquiry, 2) neutral observation, 3) purposeful pauses/silences, and 4) permission for comfort. We also discussed being mindful of the effects of certain words on particular populations--for example, the use of "belly" with eating disordered folks.

Jennifer was very friendly, humorous, and down-to-earth. I would definitely recommend her!
My schedule went busy in an unexpected way and should remain so for several more days; I've been continuing the sadhana with some exploration of even more "restful" things. I'll update my sadhana list and write more posts later
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 08:31 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Henry, thanks so much for the reminder! I was wondering if it was that workshop or perhaps another that I had attended. I do still try to cue this way when I am teaching live, particularly asking exploratory questions, using words such as "notice" and "observe," allowing silences, and encouraging comfort. I'm guessing that I do a bit less of this when filming for YouTube though; it feels a bit odder to ask questions without the live audience. But I'm glad to be reminded of these cues and will keep trying to add them in both in my live and YouTube teaching!

Also, Henry, you were right, Yoga International limits the number of free articles per month. Sometimes you can bypass that by choosing to open a link in an incognito window, but that doesn't seem to always work.

[On a side note, I loved that workshop with Jennifer, but there were a few sad follow-ups. First, the studio where I took the workshop, a cozy little place owned by a very sweet couple, closed during the pandemic. Second, Jennifer herself contracted covid last fall and has been dealing with "long covid" symptoms since. ]

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 08-02-21, 01:40 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I was thinking more about the cuing issue when doing yoga today (will update above). There is one cue that I try hard NEVER to say, "I want you to..." That comes out of my reading/training in the area of trauma-informed yoga. I always want to give people agency for the own bodies and don't want to talk to them as if I'm a drill instructor.

A big of yoga news: I signed up to do an "Intro to Acro Yoga" workshop with my friend this Thursday, and I'm excited! The instructor is the same person I did SUP Yoga with several summers ago. I have dabbled in acro with my niece (now 11), but it will be different doing it with an adult!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 08-02-21, 02:06 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Oops! Mistake, I was thinking aerial yoga, not acro yoga lol. Have fun Beth!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-21, 03:38 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Oops! Mistake, I was thinking aerial yoga, not acro yoga lol. Have fun Beth!
Pam, I think people do sometimes call aerial yoga acro yoga. I actually did a 1-time trial of aerial years ago (with suspended silks), and it was fun but made me dizzy! On the other hand, when I did yoga with ropes at the wall a few years back, I really loved that.

I will try to remember to post some pics of my version of acro yoga with my niece in my profile.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 08-02-21, 10:14 PM  
TonyaK

Hi all, I'm still considering myself "in this" even though I have had a rocky start. Thanks for welcoming all comers

27th: short yoga
28th: nothing
29th: short yoga
30th: nothing
31st: nothing
1st: nothing
2nd: short yoga!

Tonight I did the warm-ups (about 13 minutes) from Ravi and Ana's Yoga Bliss Hips. It felt great. It was so easy. I have had a very rebellious streak for several years now. Whenever I commit to a self-driven schedule, I rebel against it. I'm going to keep trying and eventually I'll get to 40 yoga sessions. Maybe I will work through the rebellion and be able to have a steady practice. I always feel better in so many ways when I do yoga almost every day.
TonyaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-21, 10:21 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Pam, I think people do sometimes call aerial yoga acro yoga. I actually did a 1-time trial of aerial years ago (with suspended silks), and it was fun but made me dizzy! On the other hand, when I did yoga with ropes at the wall a few years back, I really loved that.

I will try to remember to post some pics of my version of acro yoga with my niece in my profile.
I’ve done several aerial classes & they were fun, but I wouldn’t want a steady diet of them. One of my teachers had a free standing yoga swing in her home studio. We could use it if we arrived a bit early for class.
I look forward to your pictures.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-21, 08:49 PM  
Vantreesta

I updated my original post this morning but missed a bunch of days and haven't kept up with reading the new posts.

I went to a Ren Fest with hubby on Saturday and again the next day with a friend and her kids. It was 2 hours away so 8 hours on the road and slow walking outside for several hours in the sun and smoky haze for two days left me so tired Sunday night! Yesterday I retweaked my calf that's been such a nuisance since about mid June. I know I should get it looked at but I just don't wanna!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-21, 09:29 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I'm starting a new post for my next 10 days, starting with today, August 3rd.

Day 11: 8/3
Yoga Conditioning for Athletes - "Mini" routines for Golf, Cycling
TAUGHT yoga at studio

Day 12: 8/4
Yoga Core Cross Train - Strength practice

Day 13: 8/5
Intro to Acro Yoga Workshop*
*described in another post

Day 14: 8/6
Kate Vantucci Yoga, Leggy Flow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71N9...teVantucciYoga

Day 15: 8/7
Yoga Journal Your Daily Yoga - Peak Form
TAUGHT yoga at studio

Day 16: 8/8
Travis Elliot - 30m Yin Yoga Lower Back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD_N...&index=2&t=71s

Day 17: 8/9
yin on my own (held saddle, child's)

Day 18 8/10
Yoga for Stress Reduction - Cool-Down & Meditation B
TAUGHT yoga at studio

Day 19 8/11
pre-bed yoga practice:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsa...IT-NGNNgN6urEQ

Day 20 8/12
"no mat" office yoga practice:
https://youtu.be/P5HNuQIPdfA

I also finished the book Voices of Insight earlier this week, but I don't remember exactly when.

Wow, I am halfway through, at Day 20 already! I will start a new thread tomorrow.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Tags
sadhana, vf sadhana