Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-30-21, 09:45 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

So why can’t you do upper body exercise? Chair exercise? Yoga in bead exercise? Brain exercises to strengthen your inner head talk.?

And the coffee, yes, Cut It Out. You don’t need the stimulation. Get some herbal teas.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 10:22 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

First, I want to say that my heart goes out to all who have to deal with sleep issues. Poor sleep makes everything harder!

Cheryl - Thanks for the sleep mask info!

Erica - That happens to me sometimes.

Linda - Yes, if I have a good night's sleep, it's like I'm a totally different person!

Like many long-term insomnia sufferers, I've tried it all. I, too, did a sleep study and they could find nothing amiss. They didn't suggest CBT, but inferred it was a mental problem.

The DH snores like a freight train, so I have had my own room for a while now. I have blackout curtains, a humidifier, a white-noise app, ear plugs, etc. I usually fall asleep OK. Then, I wake up numerous times. Sometimes I get back to sleep. Sometimes, from about 2am, that's all she wrote.

The "PM" pain formulas have an ingredient that is not so good for seniors, so I rarely use those.

I did just see a recent study that indicates that regular exercise (Physical Activity), including exercise and general movement during the day, can mitigate the bad health effects of poor sleep:

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2...ts-2021-104046

"Conclusion: The detrimental associations of poor sleep with all-cause and cause-specific mortality risks are exacerbated by low PA, suggesting likely synergistic effects. Our study supports the need to target both behaviours in research and clinical practice."

So, exercise and movement may not cure insomnia, but may reduce the ill effects.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 12:02 PM  
BunnyHop

One thing that does help me fall asleep when my mind doesn't want to shut off, is to write down the stuff that's worrying me. Just a literal word for word transcription of the thoughts I'm having that won't shut up.

Something about writing them down helps my mind calm down.
Old 07-30-21, 12:16 PM  
LoYoMo99

I’ve had sleep issues my entire life.
A few months ago I started listening to “Sleep with me” podcast. The host tells meandering stories that just shut my mind off and put me to sleep. If I do wake up again in the middle of the night, I put another episode on and I’m back to sleep before the episode ends.
It’s made a huge difference for me.
LoYoMo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 12:26 PM  
antbuko

[QUOTE=fanofladyvols;2935311]Hi Helen!!
would working a later shift help you?

Hi Linda! Ugh, I just couldn't tolerate nights, I don't think. They wanted me to be a full time closer and I thought about it but declined. Now you've got me rethinking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
Could you possibly need more water ? Water causes a lot of minor illnesses.

I’m sorry you’re working with this so really see a doctor.

You may be carrying the weight of doing something you don’t really want to do and you’re worried about it, subconsciously.

I know people don’t like pills but sometimes they do start you on a better track until you can make it a habit in your body. They aren’t for ever but try 2 weeks. Journal your sleep and if it doesn’t change, you really should see a doctor.
Cheryl, I've been having charlie horses too, so you are right about staying hydrated. And you're right about doing something I really don't want to do. I do enjoy the job, but it really interferes with my old way of life. I am researching other options.
Old 07-30-21, 02:19 PM  
Dancing Queen

At the suggestion of two different doctors, I started using CALM Sleep drink mix (Mixed Berry flavor) in December and my sleepless nights went from 5-6 times per week to 1-2 times per month. (CALM has several formulas, but I specifically get the one for Sleep.) I can sleep a full eight hours and wake up feeling well-rested without any grogginess.

It has to be mixed with water, so I drink it around 6 p.m., don't drink anything else for the rest of the evening, and empty my bladder right before bed so I don't need to use the bathroom during the night.

A 16-oz. container costs about $33 on Amazon and lasts two months when using the maximum recommended dose. It's some of the best money I've ever spent.
Dancing Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 09:08 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Me, I just did the extreme premix recently, I fell asleep at around 6 - 7 a.m. today

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
One thing that does help me fall asleep when my mind doesn't want to shut off, is to write down the stuff that's worrying me. Just a literal word for word transcription of the thoughts I'm having that won't shut up.

Something about writing them down helps my mind calm down.
Thanks, I will try this trick next time and see if it helps.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-21, 09:38 AM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
My sleep hasn't been great for years, but lately - yikes!

Who else is dealing with insomnia? Is it a new issue for you or has it been going on for a while?

(I'm one of those for whom working out regularly helps but has not eliminated sleep issues.)
For years and years I thought I suffered from insomnia. It was horrible. High stress jobs and insomnia made for some really horrible years. My worst experience was going back on a sleep medication I relied on to sleep. I got off of it and was up for I don't know how many nights. I got back on it out of desperation and it didn't work. I was up all night in a panic. Long story short, it was affecting my health and decisions. I went to a psychiatrist and got on anxiety meds. I suffered from anxiety, not insomnia. The first night I slept I woke up and almost cried from joy. I'm sorry to all who suffer from not being able to sleep, whatever the reason.
Old 07-31-21, 10:13 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

BunnyHop - Writing things is a good idea. I have a visualization meditation where you are asked, when you get into bed, to think of all you worries and put each in a different box by the bed. It said you aren't trying to ignore or eliminate them, just put them aside until morning. That helps sometimes.

AsSweetAsSugar - Finally falling asleep at 6am? Gaaaaah! I hope you could get a nap in later that day.

Dancing Queen - I might just try that Calm drink. Thanks!

gigi - I'm glad you found your solution. That must be a huge relief!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-21, 06:32 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Alta, thankfully I did, I took a three hours nap, I was so tired!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insomnia, sleep, sleep help, sleep issues, sleep mask