Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-21, 03:18 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Nice job!! I could have written this post. Most of my decluttering projects start with moving a piece of furniture.
It is a slippery slope.

In this case, finally figuring out how I wanted the furniture arranged was the final key. Dithered about it for years, but now it's done I like it.

The extra table was just an extra surface for clutter.
Old 07-26-21, 10:23 AM  
Catahoula Cate

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
So far, no one's complained about me reusing boxes to ship them their stuff (it's rare I buy a new box). In fact, I get a lot of positive feedback about how well I package things. Some ebay sellers are terrible with their packaging. One time I ordered an old board game and the seller literally just wrapped brown paper around the old board game box and stuck a shipping label on it.

*This is all somewhat on-topic because it's part of my ongoing decluttering efforts. I sell our old crap on ebay and craigslist. Some of it's actually worth something. It's A LOT of work though and it's taken me YEARS to slowly sell off anything of value in our house that we no longer want. And I keep finding random things to sell so I always have some listings up. Plus I have a running list of stuff I still need to take photos of, research, and list on ebay. It's actual work though so I tend to procrastinate on getting listings up. But then I can pretty much just set-it-and-forget-it until it sells.
adawn, When I sold on ebay, I always reused packing material and boxes as well and got great reviews on well packed. We don't have Craigslist but I found ebay very satisfying for decluttering and earning a little cash. I stopped when they wouldn't let sellers use paypal anymore. I hope to find another alternative when things slow down enough for me to look more.

I read an article quite a while ago about decluttering titled something like "reclaim your ground". I can't find it again but ie: decluttering a cupboard, drawer, counter, etc that you get to your satisfaction and maintain it...only to take on something else another time. I'm always on a time crunch so this works well for me to tackle little areas as time permits and try to maintain them. We have been maintaining our recycling thankfully and since we use feedsacks/large dog food bags to collect the recyclables, we are at least getting those things reused at least once anyway. We've also kept up with getting the grocery bags back to the store for recycling too. I've gotten a few shelves and cupboards clear of some expired items and so a little more space there. It's taking up quite a bit more time to fill the thrift box but slow and steady.

Laura S. That's fantastic that you got your craft room to 98%! That must feel sooo good. Great job.

Quit sitting!! Joints and muscles love motion!

Do The Next Thing!
Catahoula Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-21, 07:13 PM  
fanofladyvols

Anna that sounds like a nice set up for your office...good job!

Catahoula Cate good for you for finding a way to stay on top of the recycling. It can overflow and sidetrack you from other decluttering projects.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-21, 07:25 PM  
Vantreesta

Linda, I love your new avatar!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-21, 07:59 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Linda, I love your new avatar!
Haha..thanks. the fruit of insomnia

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
Old 07-27-21, 09:14 AM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
Hi Izzy, thank you for your input and ideas - good things to consider. what was the key factor when you eventually landed your current position? could you tell what you might have had that made the hiring manager select you?
Ok, well try not to laugh at what happened with that...That director was terminated 2 years later for years of harassment and HIPPA violations among other things like listening in on department head personal phone conversations, and just being crazy. She was very hard on me my first two years and I was glad she left. I was one of the people she consistently harassed. She told people she hired me because I was "the soul of Toni." Toni was the person who had my position, not directly before me, but before her. She passed away and the director felt I had the soul of Toni and that is why she hired me. She later realized I really didn't which started the harassments. She was known to just fire people when she didn't like them. The person before me and her were very good friends. She just terminated her out of the blue one day for no real reason. I am not really sure what I said in the interview. I remember using my many years of library experience and said I was an "idea" person. I am not creative or clever but I do have ideas. I think coming up with ideas and suggestions in the interview helped. I didn't have much finance experience which was required but I really built on my other experience and kept saying that of all the qualifications I met most of them at a high level and learning quickbooks should not be too hard. TBH the job description made the job sound really tough and I debated on applying. But a friend really pushed me and kept saying "build on your other skills." I read up on quickbooks which was required and learned enough to take the quiz and pass. I know I came close in a lot positions I interviewed for. I just couldn't get pass A- or B+. I think in the end is that you just click with who is interviewing you. I hope it's the hiring manager and not HR that interviews you. Part of what I do is HR and I try very hard not to be "HR" as others view you. I found I had a harder time getting past HR but once I did I found I connected well with most hiring managers.

I am happy to help anyway I kind. Let me know.
Old 07-27-21, 10:46 AM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-21, 02:11 PM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyK View Post
We have recently cleaned out the last room (dumping ground) in the house. We ended up with two large garbage cans full of trash, three donation boxes and a few things that belonged to the adult children. We also cleaned out our media armoire, getting rid of two boxes of music cd's and some movies along with a small radio/cd player and speakers. Even though a few things have landed in the garage temporarily, this is the first time in a very long time where we actually know where everything is and is accessible.

We have also been deep cleaning and organizing and I have found more things to get rid of that I thought that I wanted. I honestly feel like I could just take us to the bare minimum as I'm looking at things so differently now. Since unsubscribing to several blogs and shopping alerts (buy-buy-buy), and minimizing the commercials I see (buy this-wear this-take this-eat this-drive this-buy more), and spending more time with family, cooking new recipes, working and playing and relaxing and cleaning and organizing instead of shopping "I feel so free". Without all of that in my face, I'm realizing that I don't really want anything and I am actually unaware of what I'm missing!

I have always considered myself a late bloomer and I'm still trying to figure things out. And what I have figured out recently is that I no longer want to be consumerist driven. I want to live a simple life doing simple things or doing nothing at all, just being alone with my thoughts. I enjoy all of the wildlife that we see on our property and neighborhood daily, the butterflies and bees in our flowers, the wind blowing in the trees, the board game my husband and I play, baking cookies, hugging our grandchildren and making plans for our future, going to church and bible study, and allowing myself to be sad and grieve the loss of my youngest son. His loss is what is sending me down this path of rediscovery. When you lose a child, it certainly changes your perspective.

I am not only thinking of the money I have wasted over the years by buying more and more stuff, I am also thinking on a much larger scale about our earth and environment and how every purchase and every decision we make collectively effects our species and the planet we live on.

I like this youtube channel I found (Green Renaissance), though I don't subscribe to it.
I am very sorry for your loss Penny. My deepest sympathy. I found your post so soothing. Where I am not quite where you are at in terms of perspective, my goal is to get there. I will say over the past 4 years I have minimalized myself and lifestyle a lot. I was never one for needing all the fads and gadgets but did find myself making purchases to fulfill voids in my life. I am going to keep your thoughts and perspectives front and center. I think it will help me. Congratulations on your decluttering accomplishments.
Old 07-27-21, 02:26 PM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-21, 03:19 PM  
fanofladyvols

Congratulations on your decluttering progress, Penny.

Your perspective following your loss is amazing... thank you for sharing

Tags
career advice, declutter, decluttering, downsizing, sentimental clutter