Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-02-21, 11:46 AM  
Mickey12

Just popping in to answer Bee's question about going to a chiropractor. I went to one once, didn't have a great experience, and never went to one again. I have been very lucky to never have needed one, though. I've been fortunate in my life with no serious injuries except for a back muscle pull while shoveling snow. I went to physical therapy for that and it cleared up fine.
Old 06-02-21, 02:23 PM  
manleym

Hi everyone!

Glad to hear from Kittybug and Horusosiris! I hope things settle down for ya'll soon.

KB yay on the new appliances! How is the rest of the kitchen coming along? Are ya'll finished? (wish there were a fingers crossed emoji.)

Bee I'm glad your son liked 5 Parks. Funny comment about her Darth Vader breathing. Back in my running days when I got in the zone I know I sounded like a horse snorting. HA! Hopefully he'll be willing to do more with you later. Another instructor I'm really liking these days is Nicole Wild. I've done a couple of hers recently and really liked them. Sorry to hear your sleeping has been off and on. I LOVE epsom salt baths with lavender oil. I took one every night when I was struggling with insomnia and it really did make a difference. And I use to take it for recovery sometimes. It really does make a difference - for sleep, recovery, and overall health. I've gotten out of the habit but was thinking the other day an epsom salt bath would feel really good. Hope it helps and you get back on a better sleep schedule.

I don't see a chiropractor on a regular basis (only been once, but liked it) but my brother and SIL used to go regularly and they swore by it. Hubby goes occasionally and he loves it when he goes. His former boss goes fairly often as part of his maintenance. I guess my maintenance is yoga (especially yin) and foam rolling. I did Yoga with Kassandra 30 min Yin Yoga for Your Nervous System yesterday and felt SO GOOD afterwards and even this morning. She used a used bolster (which I don't use often) and held the poses for several minutes. I tagged this workout as one to return to frequently or when I'm feeling really stiff and sore.

FOLV the spotify link worked! Thanks! And congrats on finishing RB2 and TTM! Yay you!!

Horusosiris I looked at Kineticflix.com but it doesn't show sale prices or how to order. Any suggestions? Can't think of anything I want right now, but if the price is right...

Cataddict, are you out there? Hope all is well. How are your veggies coming along?

I'll be back with workouts....

Oh, speaking of workouts...anyone have any good ideas for Fun Friday? Maybe a Kat step for Chele?
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-21, 02:38 PM  
manleym

Now workouts...

I'm still doing some Kettlebell workouts from 2Lazy's rotation, so Monday I did Heather’s Kettlebell HIIT Workout, which was GREAT and flew.

Tuesday I did Cathe Live #272 Love Me Some Cardio Kickboxing. What a GREAT workout! And hello Nate! He really should be in some of Cathe's workouts. I'm surprised he doesn't have a Youtube channel or dvds/workouts available. Then I did Yoga with Kassandra 30 min Yin Yoga for Your Nervous System and it really opened up my tight hip flexor. Felt really good afterwards. I think using the bolster made the difference. I tagged this one to do again when I feel really stiff and sore.

This morning I did Heather’s Leg Day Warm Up Routine + Caroline's 30 Minute Full Body Kettlebell Workout Supersets + Caroline's 15 Min Lower Body Kettlebell Workout at Home. Both were great workouts and work well together. Caroline is a beast swinging that heavy kettlebell. I used a 15 and 20 because that's what I have. I felt like for some moves I needed a 17 or 17.5/18 lb bell. Any thoughts on how to add a couple of lbs to a kettlebell? 15lbs seemed too light for some moves, but 20lbs was too heavy. I finished with Naomi Joy 7 Minute Stretching Session. I haven't done her workouts, but her stretch was good. I think she does alot of rebounding workouts.

Think I might jump into the June rotation when we get back from Florida. I'll probably skip the workouts we did in the RB2 April rotation and combine some workouts to catch up, like do an upper and lower on the same day instead of 2 seperate days. Or I may try some new to me workouts. I still need to learn Christy's Hi/Lo Heaven and a few others. Might tackle Hi/Lo Step, but read that's pretty advanced. So we'll see how things work out for June.

Waves and hugs everyone! Love "hearing" from each of you!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-21, 03:16 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by manleym View Post
Hi everyone!

Glad to hear from Kittybug and Horusosiris! I hope things settle down for ya'll soon.

KB yay on the new appliances! How is the rest of the kitchen coming along? Are ya'll finished? (wish there were a fingers crossed emoji.)
We just got the last two things installed literally moments ago, phew! In an epic dumb move, the previous owner had tiled the dishwasher IN so that was a total bear to deal with, but the installer did a fantastic job anyway and didn't even have to tear out any tile. Now my husband just has to finish refinishing the last of the cabinets which he's making progress on, but we're so far ahead of where we were just two weeks ago, I cannot complain! One less thing to be stressed over because work and jury duty is totally enough this month, thank you very much!

Monday my internet wasn't cooperating so I did Rhythmic Step instead of a Kat workout. Tuesday I tried a practice from Denise on ID called 'Joy'...it was nice and she's incredible to watch, but I'm having a really hard time clicking with other instructors aside from Travis. Kim, I too cannot pinpoint exactly what it is! Travis is just my favorite, hands down (or down dog)!

I had planned some type of a high reps workout today but honestly, I'm feeling like Bee talked about and like I need a break, mentally, physically, emotionally, all of it. I'm sleeping crappy and have been for months on end now and I'm stressed out all the time. I don't know...I reserve the right to decide later today.

Yes, Horusosiris, please share a link to this sale you mentioned!

All I really want to do is curl up with Cheeto like he is in my avatar and get some kitty snuggles!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-21, 04:45 PM  
Mickey12

Popping in again to comment on Kittybug’s comment about the dishwasher issue. We had a similar problem when we did some upgrading to our kitchen. I wanted hardwood installed and we were told by the contractor that because of the “cut corners” way the house was built, if we installed hardwood it would be too high , or thick, so that if we ever needed to replace the dishwasher we would have to take off the countertop to get it out. I was disappointed but opted for vinyl flooring so we would not have that future problem. Kittybug I’m so glad your contractor was a pro and got the new dishwasher installed ok.

Oh, and I posted in the general discussion thread my efforts to contact Kineticflix. I got a response about how to buy the used DVDs.
Old 06-02-21, 07:02 PM  
fanofladyvols

manley I run into the same problem with kettlebells too. Lauren mentions slowing the tempo down or increasing reps for some moves to increase time under tension when possible. Obviously not possible with some things.

kittybug good for you on getting the appliances in. It seems daunting when you start but definitely great to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Take a break if you need it. Your nervous system might be going haywire from all the stress you've been going through.

Today I opted for doing Cross train express upper body split. I did a segment from a Barre workout to get warmed up since this doesn't have a warmup or cooldown. Only thing I didn't like was how she kept saying after segments to get a mat ready for stretch. I was like.."Ughh Cathe don't tease me like that girl!!" I loved all the different music for the segments and was shaky mess by the end..haha. The Barre stretch was most welcome afterwards.

Cataddict and Garrie hope all is well.

P.S. I will do a fun step workout on Friday for you ChelePA...not Kat though. Probably a Gin Miller vintage or some vintage Cathe.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-21, 07:57 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Hump Day!

I decided to start the June rotation at the beginning. I slept really well last night so Strong & Sweaty PHA was the workout this morning. I feel great! I don't know how much outdoor chores-ing I have to do today.

Hey, I've been meaning to ask you guys this for a while.... do any of you see a chiropractor on a regular basis -- for maintenance, not for a specific injury? I sort of was before the lockdown. Started as an injury but then I just kept going once a month. I felt great when I walked out of the office, but I'm not sure how long that feeling lasted and I'm not sure it's something I really "need" -- if that makes sense! But now when I stretch and I crack my back the way the chiropractor used to, I wonder if I should go back again. It all made me curious about whether or not at any of you go.
I randomly lurk on this thread now and then and saw your question. I have been going to the chiropractor regularly for probably close to ten years by now. In 2009 I tore my high hamstring tendon and the labrum and other ligaments in my hip. I also have a bad anterior pelvic tilt and SI joint issues. I swear my chiropractor helps keep me mobile, along with everything I do for workouts and general daily movement. In the beginning of 2020 I had to cancel an appt due to deaths in the family and then covid hit. I was going every 7 or 8 weeks so missing one appt was pretty big. By the time I got back to him I had to go a couple times a week for a few weeks to get everything back in alignment. Of course, during that time I also had a lot of emotional stress, long hours on the road, and sleeping in hotels, couches and just not my own bed that contributed too. But the quick answer for me is I won't give up my adjustments unless I am forced to! Not sure if that helps or not. I am now going every 5 weeks.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-21, 08:15 PM  
Mickey12

Hi Vantreesta!

Tonight I was going to do one of the workouts you guys posted about but I decided on a JNL Fusion workout instead. I did total upper body. It was 35 minutes. I liked it better than the lower body one I did. She alternates weights with cardio moves, 30 seconds each, done in several rounds for each body part. Then she moves on. I liked the alternating from cardio to upper body weights. It gave upper and lower a break. I also had a short walk at lunch.

I spent waaaaay too much time on the kineticflix website and found a few DVDs I want. I emailed them with my wishlist and will wait for a response.

Hope everyone has a good night.
Old 06-02-21, 09:36 PM  
ChelePA

Quick update on Michele:

Third surgery for Michele today. The most difficult one so far. Bones from previous surgery needed to be realigned since doctor didn’t like the bend in the knee. Lots of pain unfortunately that will only decrease with time. Next surgery needs to be done on stomach so she needs the all clear from the spinal surgeon regarding the c7 fractures. Hopefully this will be the last one to repair her right leg. Continued thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-21, 06:28 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
Quick update on Michele:

Third surgery for Michele today. The most difficult one so far. Bones from previous surgery needed to be realigned since doctor didn’t like the bend in the knee. Lots of pain unfortunately that will only decrease with time. Next surgery needs to be done on stomach so she needs the all clear from the spinal surgeon regarding the c7 fractures. Hopefully this will be the last one to repair her right leg. Continued thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.
Oh this makes me cry thinking about her in so much pain. I'm so sorry Michele. You are so stinking tough!!

Please squeeze her hand for us.
And definitely will be praying.

Thanks so much for the update, Mr. ChelePA

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watulan check-in