Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-21, 12:55 PM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

This is helping my knees—Kneesovertoesguy—ATG Training

Hi to all-

I am in my second month of following a program to “bulletproof” knees and I have to say so far I am having great success. I broke my arm a few months back and my orthopedic surgeon recommended the program when he found out I tore my meniscus and was advised to have surgery.

My left knee is bone-on-bone (I was offered a knee replacement last year) and my right knee has a huge meniscus tear that I was told required surgery.

I declined both and have chosen to keep myself at an ideal weight, avoid foods that inflammatory for me (wheat/sugar/daiiry) and for the last 6 weeks I’ve been following this program.

https://www.atgonlinecoaching.com/

I am making really good progress in both mobility, stiffness and becoming pain free. I can’t run anymore, but I can jumprope, hike, bike and many other things someone with “bad knees” shouldn’t be able to do.

It is worth looking into if you are in pain, trying to avoid surgery, or want to maximize your potential in a sport.

He is easiest to follow on Instagram. Kneesovertoesguy

YMMV!

Janet
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-21, 02:46 PM  
Pam

Janet- Your experience and other comments on the website make me tempted to try this program. But would love to hear more about your experience with them. Why do you the results are so much better than just doing lower exercises and stretches?
Old 05-29-21, 02:56 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Congratulations on your hard work and determination!!
Old 05-29-21, 07:13 PM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
Janet- Your experience and other comments on the website make me tempted to try this program. But would love to hear more about your experience with them. Why do you the results are so much better than just doing lower exercises and stretches?
Hi Pam-
I think the best thing for me is the coaching on form. Your film yourself doing the last 3 reps of each exercise and a coach critiques to ensure that form is correct.

Also the emphasis on ankle mobility and training of calves, shins and quads are very different than where I personally have been putting my time and energy in the past 10-15 yrs. I mostly squat, lunge, step up, and deadlift.

The signature move is a very deep split squat that one would think doesn’t suit someone with compromised knees, but I really think that this move has made a big difference in how my knees feel in general. If you look on his Instagram I am sure you can see an example. I tried to attach a photo/video of my progress but can’t seem to get it to upload.

The first phase (the one I am doing now) is body weight only, and then you can move on to adding weights in if you like. I think I read the kneesovertoesguy himself, cycles through all of his programs throughout the course of the year.

One of his knees is partially rebuilt and he has an artificial patella. His story is compelling and for a non-physician/physical therapist he has a large following.

He receives lots of endorsements from PTs and physicians on YouTube who don’t know him, but they get lots of questions about his methods and have taken the time to explain what they think of his program.

Hoping this info help!
Janet
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-21, 07:51 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Also the emphasis on ankle mobility and training of calves, shins
^^this also hamstrings and hip flexors

frosty Jan that I have heard emphasized a bunch from BJ Gaddour, Lauren Brooks and Miranda on Classical stretch with respect to knee health.

Definitely on board with anything to avoid future surgery!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-21, 09:01 AM  
Pam

Thanks Janet for your thoughtful and thorough reply. It gave me a good feel for the program, that can only come from someone experienced with the program. I may take the 50% off 1st month offer.

Glad it is working well for you! I agree with you about avoiding surgery, if possible.
Old 05-30-21, 09:49 AM  
warriorprincess

This sounds fascinating. I will try to learn more about it, but I'd have to actually have bad knees to shell out $50 a month.

But I do occasionally get knee pain, and fortunately have discovered that simple leg extensions fix mine quickly. That requires an expensive machine though.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-21, 09:49 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
This sounds fascinating. I will try to learn more about it, but I'd have to actually have bad knees to shell out $50 a month.

But I do occasionally get knee pain, and fortunately have discovered that simple leg extensions fix mine quickly. That requires an expensive machine though.
Why can't you just use a kettlebell on your foot or attach a band behind you to do leg extensions?
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-21, 07:39 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Thanks so much for your post Janet. I looked at the list of items needed for the program. I have most of them, having a home gym in my basement. Do you need them all to start?

How much time does it take to do the exercises? Are you able to add in other workouts?

I’ve had knee issues off and on since 2006 after I had ACL reconstruction. I recently strained my calf in that leg and it’s been a downhill spiral. Now my calf is better but my iTband is inflamed because of an imbalance in my gluteus (lost strength because I was babying my calf) ugh.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-21, 12:37 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

$50/month after the 50% off trial month is quite high. does he do other specials?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atg training, ben patrick, knee exercises, knee strengthening, knees, knees over toes, kneesovertoesguy