Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-25-21, 11:37 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hello All.

Yes, cataddict, I know I did them out of order -- I had to mix things up that last week because I was so sore. And truthfully, I missed some of the cardio workouts because of walking with friends.

Garrie, as far as results from the rotation...... first off, I did not do the bonus work for the most part, but.... there seemed to be a lot of metabolic workouts this month and I have noticed my cardio endurance is a lot better than I remember it being. I think everything I've done over the last maybe year has really helped with that -- Cathe the most, but even the youtube workouts I've done I think helped.

manleym, I do not remember seeing goof ups in Afterburn -- I'm going to need to watch that more closely! Your evening by the lake sounds heavenly!!

I have started Cathe's March rotation. I do like having things laid out for me -- that part is nice. I should have started yesterday but right before I was about to start a friend asked me if I could walk. She is moving to Durango in a week and I haven't seen her in person since the lockdown so I was thrilled to be able to see her. So many people are moving away. At any rate, instead of adding Flex Train on after yesterday, I started raking around our houses. We had a fire guy come and tell us some things to do and one was to rake up all the cut stuff around the buildings. Makes sense. At any rate, I probably did two or three hours of that yesterday. This morning I did Flex Train -- I liked it -- I don't have much memory of this one -- and then an hour more of raking. I'm not even halfway through all of the work so it's going to keep me busy. Not sure I will get back to it today -- we'll see.

Waves to all!!
Old 05-25-21, 08:28 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hi Watulans!

I finished the rotation with Afterburn on Sunday! Woo Hoo!! This really is a great workout---my favorite from the Low Impact series. It's also a tough one. Funny but the dragging pushups didn't bother me as much as they have in the past, but there was a point earlier in the workout that kicked my butt. It might have been the accumulation of all the work, but the segment alternating kicks when on the floor was tougher for me.

Today I started the March rotation, but I have decided to change it a bit, so I am not "obeying my rotation" this time around. When the workout is repeated from the last rotation, I'm going to substitute a Cathe Live that I haven't done before. So for the Stacked Upper Body & Supercuts I'll sub similar Cathe Lives. I'll probably sub in a Cathe Live boxing/kickboxing workout for Hard Strikes since it's not one of my favorites. Anyhow, I'll see how that goes.

Update on DH, the doctor has extended his time out of work and his PT for several more weeks which is more than okay by me. If he worked during the holiday they would schedule him for 4 days straight, 10 hour days, all on his feet. No way is he ready for that. Dr. also recommended better shoes--meaning more cushioning and support. I've been trying to tell him that for years, so I'm glad she told him the same thing so now he is apparently going to do something about it.

manleym, welcome back! I do recall the alternate v same leg glitch in Afterburn. I alternated as well since the cue was late and I continued that way, but of course Jai had to adjust quickly to follow Cathe. We got colder weather so that has slowed down the tomato growth. We are very anxious to eat them!

bee, it's funny but I forget workouts all the time. I didn't remember much about Flex Train either other than it wasn't as hard as some of her other metabolic workouts. It's plenty challenging, though. I was ready for it to be over at the end. Wow on all that raking! Between Cathe and her heavy focus on shoulders and the shoulder work from raking you really got an upper body workout! No Memorial Day plans for us at this point. This will be the first Memorial Day in our marriage that DH will not be working so we don't really know how to act.

Garrie, as far as "results" for the Rock Bottoms rotation, I do feel tighter and a little stronger. I also gained a pound which I'm attributing to muscle as my eating didn't change at all. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Chele, thinking about you and sending hugs!

Waves to all!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-21, 06:23 AM  
lavna

Hi everyone,

I've been kind of MIA: I don't have access to my computer these days and I really dislike writing on my tablet, but I've been reading all your posts.

Thanks to Chele's husband for the update. I'm keeping her in my thoughts.

I've been keeping up with my usual workouts. On Sunday, I tried Live 5 Cardio leg blast. It wasn't as tough as I was expecting by I had decided to err on the side of prudence and use 3 risers instead of 4 for some moves. I might go a little heavier next time.

I have to start to work!
Keep up the hard work Watulans!
Nathalie
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-21, 12:59 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by horusosiris View Post
I want to thank Chel's husband for giving us an update. Yes, she has a long recovery ahead. I am wishing her a complete recovery and the strength and fortitude to endure everything that is ahead. I know she is grateful to have a caring husband and family. Chel has been a blessing to this group and I miss her encouraging words and her cheerful disposition. Yes, it is amazing how fulfilling a cyber friendship can be and I for one am grateful to her for her cyber friendship. My prayers and thoughts are with her and her family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
Thanks so much to Chele’s husband for posting with an update. It brought tears to my eyes. We miss and love Chele so much!!!
horusosiris and Kim I couldn't have said this any better...

Thank you for the update Mr. ChelePA..please give her extra Fierce Watulan hugs for us!! I will be praying for her!

I won't finish Rock bottoms rotation until Sunday but for those like Cataddict that did...
Gadank ...GADANK...GADANKITY!!!

manley you're right..Cathe doesn't have as many catch phrases as she used to.

cataddict I am sure I will change up the March rotation (if that's what I do) to include kettlebells so change away!! I honestly haven't decided what I'm doing yet though.

Garrie I'm not sure how to credit "results" since my rotation blends in so much but it is definitely still a lower body focused rotation. I feel great but not beat up in my version. Either way, no weight loss (not a goal for me though). I'm firmer and have seen stamina and strength gains. I'll be going up in my deadlift weight again and can do Cathe's BBW and 200 tactical walking lunges after working outside in the heat for an hour and a half. Also did a practice steep climb on a trail labeled 'difficult' with tons of switchbacks and never got tired. So the goal of helping me get prepared for the mountain hike I have planned in August is definitely being met with this rotation.

Hugs to bee, kittybug, Kate,and lavna!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-21, 02:40 PM  
Mickey12

Lavna, good to hear from you again. Bummer on not having access to your computer. I also hate typing on the ipad and forget about trying to type on the phone. UGG!! I saw it was Victoria Day in Canada on Monday. Did you have the day off from work? Did you celebrate it in any way?

Linda thank you for your wonderfully funny post. As usual, I was laughing out loud at your cowbell cheers! You're my favorite nut.

Manley congrats on your upcoming vacation to Florida. I'm very excited about going places again. My husband and I are flying to Florida in early June for a super quick trip - going to spend a few days at Disney Springs and then fly back. It's too quick for me, but he has talked about doing a quicky short trip like this for years. We are also going to Gettysburg again this year. We love it there so much, I can't even tell you all. I feel so fortunate that it's only about 3 hours away from us.

Sooooo, I've been sort of slacking on workouts lately. I skipped Sunday and I skipped yesterday. Monday night I did a new-to-me Kathy Smith routine, cardio and weights, 50 minutes, moderate work, nothing too crazy. It was adequate.

I went for a walk at lunch today since it was another great day to be outside. I am hoping to get in a workout tonight too.

Hope everyone is doing well. Go Watulans!!!!
Old 05-26-21, 05:19 PM  
manleym

Hi Everyone!

Quick check-in. I decided to do kettlebell and cardio workouts this week so I picked some KB workouts from 2Lazy's KB rotation.

Monday I did Heather's 40 Minute Kettlebell Workout Full Body Strength & Cardio + Total Body Kettlebell Workout. Both were GREAT workouts, but the 2nd one, the add-on, was a real burner. If you need a quick sweaty burner workout - this is it! Both of these workouts were part of 2 Lazy's Heather 4 Week Rotation, and I remember liking them the first time. Still do. I needed a nice long stretch afterwards so I found Travis 30 for 30 Flow & Stretch on YouTube. It was good, but I thought the music was repetitive and a tad dramatic for a yin practice. Since it was only 30 minutes I also found Full Yin Yoga "Low Back Love" with Dana - Inner Dimension TV and found my new favorite yoga pose! I LOVED this practice! The pose is this - lay on your back and do eagle legs. Rotate legs to one side and then come into sphinx pose with your upper body. So your torso is twisting since your lower body is in eagle pose facing one direction and your upper body is in sphinx pose facing forward. Oh, la, la!! Felt so good!

Tuesday I decided to find a step workout, and actually found 2 since they were each a little over 30 minutes. I started with Kat Gates-Buettner (thinking of you, ChelePA ) Basic/Intermediate Step Aerobics Workout #3 Groovy 60's + 70's Mix and then did Step Aerobics with my Twin Sister! Intermediate Workout #8. They were both so much FUN and both had GREAT music, though I probably liked the Groovy mix better.

Today I went back to KB's and did Caroline’s Kickass Kettlebell Series Day 4: Kettlebell Cardio +15 Min Full Body Kettlebell Workout at Home. Again, both were great workouts. I finished with Travis's Yin Yoga "Complete" class because I was feeling so stiff and sore. There were LOTS of KB swings today, and I think I may have overdone it Monday because it felt like I pulled the muscle in my hip flexor. Been trying to work it out all day.

Kim it sounds like you have some fun trips coming up soon! Even if it's just a weekend, at least your getting away. That will help so much. We're really looking forward to our trip, esp. my husband. He's ready to fish with his twin brother.

Cataddict and Bee I remember Flextrain well! It was a go-to workout for a long time. I probably did it every 2-3 weeks for awhile. Great overall workout.

Hugs and waves everyone! Hope you are all doing well!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-21, 05:55 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hey All!

cataddict, I'm definitely very sore in my upper body. More raking work this morning and moving piles. Felt like I was in the army. In fact, because of that and my schedule for the day, that was my only "workout" today. I'll get back to Cathe tomorrow -- love your idea to substitute similar lives for the repeats. I was thinking about substations, too, but I'm also curious about revisiting some of them to see how them seem when they're a little fresher in my memory. I'm going to play it by ear.....

fanofladyvols, I completely forgot you were doing the RB rotation, too! How could I forget that when you were the one who gave me the idea of breaking up the bonus work?! Thanks for the cowbell!!

Wave to lavna! Good to hear from you. I don't blame you for not wanting to type without a real keyboard -- that's how I am too.

manleym, I'm going to try that Dana yoga you mentioned.... that pose sounds great! I saw that "new" (a few days ago at least by now) Kat step workout and thought about doing it in Chele's honor. I want to do that soon if I can work it in.

Kim, tell me what it is that draws you to Gettysburg. It's nice to hear anyone's vacation plans these days..... good to dream!

Waves to horusosiris, kittybug, Kate, Garrie, and of course Chele!! xox
Old 05-26-21, 08:41 PM  
Mickey12

Bee and Manley it sounds like great minds think alike. I was also thinking we should all do a Kat step workout for ChelePA. I was going to suggest it for Fun Friday.

Manley I am trying to figure out that pose you described. I don’t think I’m that bendy.

Bee what draws me to Gettysburg? For some people it has a particular, very special, hard-to-describe appeal. It has that appeal for me. It’s a feeling I have when I visit. The battlefield itself is one of the most documented battlefields in the world. I love touring it and walking quietly among the monuments. The National Park Service rangers are so excellent in their presentations. The National Park Service website has some really great information too. I love the history. I love the cleanliness. I love the knowledgeable, friendly staff at all the attractions. I love the architecture. I love the small town, safe feeling. I love the relaxation and all the places to visit and see. The National Cemetery is so somber and beautiful. It’s an honor to be able to walk among the graves of so many who died. The museums are amazing and so interactive and entertaining. I can’t do it justice in my description. It’s simply a very special place for me.
Old 05-27-21, 05:17 PM  
Mickey12

Hello all,

Yesterday I did Afterburn. I knew I was in for a hard workout when Cataddict said it was hard. Even Cathe was stalling to catch her breath during it! I watched closely to see Jai’s mixup on the lunges. They did a great job with the editing because I would never notice it if I wasn’t looking for it. The look on her face was great though.

Today after work we tackled planting flowers and sprucing up the cemetery for Memorial Day. We met some friends we haven’t seen since before the pandemic, so it was a nice reunion and fun to catch up while we planted flowers.

Hope everyone has a great night.
Old 05-27-21, 10:36 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hello all!

Today was Day 3 of the March Cathe rotation. So Tuesday was Flex Train, yesterday was Kick Max and today I subbed in Cathe Live #52 which was upper body with the stability ball. This Live had a little more core than I was prepared for, and one move was tricky for me. It required balancing on one side on the ball with the legs long and feet on the floor allegedly helping to keep one from falling over, all while waving both arms and doing a side crunch. LOL at my description--I don't think it makes any sense. Anyway I had to change my foot position and put one hand on the ball because it kept rolling away. I was comforted in my clumsiness by the sight of many in the class having the same issue that I did! I bet that move never, ever, shows up on another Live or on a DVD! It wasn't really like Stacked Sets Upper Body either so I must have been crazy when I picked it as a substitute. Kick Max was good as a workout but man, I couldn't take my eyes off the oiled up skin on Cathe and crew and the incredible muscle definition showing! I only did a little of the leg conditioning drills as I really only wanted an hour long workout and the whole thing is 74 minutes! Plus after Rock Bottoms I just didn't want to do that much leg work.

Oh, I'm all in for doing a Kat step workout for Fun Friday in honor of Chele! I'll just push back All Out High Low HiiT (or whatever it's called) to Saturday.

Kim, good to hear you are doing things that are more "normal" these days and getting to see friends again. So you didn't comment on what you thought of Afterburn. Was it hard for you too or am I a wimp?

FOLV, THANKS for the cowbell!!! I know you've been putting in some kettlebell workouts in the rotation so I wasn't sure if you were going through all the workouts in it. Oh, you and manleym may have already discussed it, but have you tried the Heather kettlebell that she mentioned in her post? I've also done it and I think Chele has too and we all give it a thumbs up so if you haven't done it, check it out!

manleym, enjoy your trip to Florida! It's nice to be able to travel again, isn't it?

bee, Kim's response about Gettysburg made me think about my feelings when I've visited. Part of my response may be because I'm a native Pennsylvanian, and so many units and men who were killed were from my home state, and no doubt I had relatives among the dead. It was very somber place, and somehow I felt the presence of those who were there so long ago. Since I live in Virginia, I've been to a whole lot of battlefields, both from the civil war and the revolutionary war. Of course the civil war memorials/battlefields/museums looked at it from the perspective of the south, whereas Gettysburg was obviously from the northern point of view so it was totally different. I never quite got the same feelings anywhere other than at Gettysburg. So I guess for me it was an emotional experience rather than strictly historical, although certainly that was also interesting.

manleym, I need to check out Kat's Groovy workout, although Groovy was gone by the 70s. Not that Kat would know that. Or me either.

Nathalie, good to "see" you! Hope your new job is going well and you are settling in.

Waves to all! {{hugs}} to Chele

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watulan check-in