Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-21, 04:26 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I just finished Michael J. Fox’s new book No Time Like the Future. It was good but also a little sad. A quick read at just over 200 pages.
I read this one, too. Another one I had mixed feelings on, but can't remember why. It is definitely sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
After reading that you liked Shuggie Bain I put it on a wait list at my library yesterday (Erica you and I have similar tastes in books), it became available today. I’m still reading Hidden Valley Road and will start it when I’m finished. I work at a school and we are on April vacation this week so I hope to get a lot of reading done.

If I finish both books this week I will definitely need something a lot lighter to read next.
I hope you like Shuggie Bain and agree that something lighter would be nice after two dark books.

I really liked Jerry Seinfeld's "Is This Anything" (and I don't even like Jerry Seinfeld) for something light. I also liked "Open and Shut" by David Rosenfeld. That's not the type of book I would normally read and enjoy, but I liked it a lot. He has a bunch of books in this series (Andy Carpenter series) and I plan on reading more.

Enjoy your break!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-21, 05:12 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I read this one, too. Another one I had mixed feelings on, but can't remember why. It is definitely sad.

I hope you like Shuggie Bain and agree that something lighter would be nice after two dark books.

I really liked Jerry Seinfeld's "Is This Anything" (and I don't even like Jerry Seinfeld) for something light. I also liked "Open and Shut" by David Rosenfeld. That's not the type of book I would normally read and enjoy, but I liked it a lot. He has a bunch of books in this series (Andy Carpenter series) and I plan on reading more.

Enjoy your break!

Erica
Thanks for the recommendations Erica. I put Jerry Seinfeld’s book on the wait list at library.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-21, 05:20 PM  
TracyQ

I finished the audio version of Nomadland. It’s an interesting but depressing book. It’s being made into a movie starring Francis McDormand.

Here’s a description from the library:

From the beet fields of North Dakota to the National Forest campgrounds of California to Amazon's CamperForce program in Texas, employers have discovered a new, low-cost labor pool, made up largely of transient older Americans. Finding that social security comes up short, often underwater on mortgages, these invisible casualties of the Great Recession have taken to the road by the tens of thousands in late-model RVs, travel trailers, and vans, forming a growing community of nomads.

On frequently traveled routes between seasonal jobs, Jessica Bruder meets people from all walks of life: a former professor, a McDonald's vice president, a minister, a college administrator, and a motorcycle cop, among many others—including her irrepressible protagonist, a onetime cocktail waitress, Home Depot clerk, and general contractor named Linda May.

Old 04-18-21, 07:36 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
I finished the audio version of Nomadland. It’s an interesting but depressing book. It’s being made into a movie starring Francis McDormand.

Here’s a description from the library:

From the beet fields of North Dakota to the National Forest campgrounds of California to Amazon's CamperForce program in Texas, employers have discovered a new, low-cost labor pool, made up largely of transient older Americans. Finding that social security comes up short, often underwater on mortgages, these invisible casualties of the Great Recession have taken to the road by the tens of thousands in late-model RVs, travel trailers, and vans, forming a growing community of nomads.

On frequently traveled routes between seasonal jobs, Jessica Bruder meets people from all walks of life: a former professor, a McDonald's vice president, a minister, a college administrator, and a motorcycle cop, among many others—including her irrepressible protagonist, a onetime cocktail waitress, Home Depot clerk, and general contractor named Linda May.
The movie is on Hulu. It stars Francis McDormand and it’s really quite good! It wasn’t as sad as the book sounds. I also got the audio book but haven't listened to it yet. Now I’m wondering if it’s a case of the movie being better than the book!

I’m half way through Stephen King’s new book “Later” which I’m liking....so far.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-21, 10:44 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

I finished Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia on audio over the weekend and it was a very dark but entertaining "haunted house" book with a flawed but headstrong heroine.

My hold on Say Nothing by Patrick Radden Keefe, about the Troubles in Northern Ireland, came in just as I was finishing the above so have started listening to that. I read the New Yorker article a few years back and was reminded that I wanted to read the book after hearing the author talk about his most recent book on Fresh Air last week.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-21, 04:25 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
The movie is on Hulu. It stars Francis McDormand and it’s really quite good! It wasn’t as sad as the book sounds. I also got the audio book but haven't listened to it yet. Now I’m wondering if it’s a case of the movie being better than the book!

I’m half way through Stephen King’s new book “Later” which I’m liking....so far.
I don’t subscribe to Hulu but Xfinity is having a free preview week next week. I’ll be watching Nomadland.

Old 04-20-21, 07:11 AM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Dietland! One of THE Best books I have ever read in my life. Life changing read!!
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-21, 09:10 AM  
BunnyHop

Currently listening to The Last Chronicle of Barset by Anthony Trollope.

I'm not much into actual reading these days, but am really enjoying this on cd. Put a disc in my bedside player and doze off listening. When I wake up at 3 I figure out where I dozed off and play it again.
Old 04-20-21, 09:12 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini2874 View Post
Dietland! One of THE Best books I have ever read in my life. Life changing read!!
Thanks! I have had this on my to-read list and maybe I'll read it sooner rather than later.

Erica
Old 04-26-21, 07:57 PM  
Erica H.

I just finished The Book of Joy. Beth/Toaster recommended it to me a while ago and I put off reading it because I didn't think it would be my kind of book but I was wrong. It was a wonderful book and gave me a lot to think about. I borrow all of my books from the library but I am considering buying this one just so I can highlight quotes from the book that I want to consider regularly.

A big THANK YOU to beth/toaster!

Started The Choice: Embrace the Possible and it looks really good. One of my sons recently read it and then someone else recommended it to me.

Erica

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, spring reading