Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-13, 07:21 PM  
Kyra

I have about the first half of the year roughly planned, in terms of gym work/strength training (Westside for Skinny Bastards for a while, then High Performance Handbook when I am back to my usual gym in late winter). I'm thinking very seriously about doing some hiking around the end of next summer, and when I have the details of that more firm in my head, I will back plan roadwork appropriate for that. If all goes in the best possible way, I will be out of state next fall on a clincial rotation and have no idea what resources I'll have there, so no plans for the end of next year as of now.

LOL. In short, keep on keepin' on!

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 07:49 PM  
rosepetals

I am doing Joe Cross's Reboot. Anytime I do his reboot I feel so much better. Workouts will be yoga, barre, T-Tapp, qigong, and walking.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 07:54 PM  
marya

[QUOTE=bzar;2334325]tip: i also listened to a couple of CD's and audiobooks by Jack Kornfield and Andrew Weil, and Meditation for DUmmies. i can now meditate on demand and see an immediate body response. i was connected to a BP machine during a recent medical procedure, and i was able to lower my BP literally at will! i felt like Obi Wan.

Jeannine, your post is such an inspiration! I've been resistant to putting much time into silent meditation (although I love the active kind), but your results are so persuasive!

Demeris, congratulations on your early retirement and your move. I'm so happy for you--and best wishes for your outdoor walks! After I retired, I also found myself wanting to do outdoor walks more than Leslie workouts, even in my urban environs. Rural walking would be ideal!

Donna, sorry your Raviana experiences have been so negative! Every body is different--my spine is my most flexible part; shoulders and knees are my "Achilles heels", and I do a lot of modifications to accommodate them. I hope your chosen 2014 workouts will prove back-friendly for you!

In 2014 I intend to do a kundalini yoga workout every morning, plus 10,000 steps every day--plus short Pilates or barre segments in the evenings (if I have any energy left ). Oh, yeah--and lose 40 lbs.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 08:21 PM  
sherry7899

Sarah-sending hugs your way!

Helen-good luck with your surgery!

I don't know what I want to do for fitness for 2014. I just want a better year than 2013. I've had horrible insomnia all year plus various injuries/health issues, so I barely exercised. If I could consistently get good sleep, I know I'd exercise consistently.

Good luck to everyone with their plans
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 08:34 PM  
JezthePuff2

Funny, one of my wellness goals is to start meditating consistently again. I did a 21-day challenge with an Oprah/Deepak Chopra program, and I really enjoyed it. And when I was doing it, I noticed I was much more deliberate and mindful with everyday activities--most notably eating--which caused me to lose a little weight.

So my goal is get back into daily meditation and MINDFUL eating.

As far as workouts go, I do pretty well with those. I probably could do more, but I don't need to push myself as much there.

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 09:05 PM  
barreboxbell

I'd like to be consistent about working out at least 4 days a week doing either yoga or ballet. I'd also like to give up added sugars. I've set that as my New Year's resolution for years now, and have never made it. I keep trying to shock myself away from sugar by always reading how it's so bad for you -- no effect. Oh well. I guess we'll see how it goes!
barreboxbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-13, 12:03 AM  
NRGWoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraipel View Post
I want to feel more like an athlete again. I was always one when I was younger, and I stopped boxing about 5 years ago. I miss the feeling of training for something, and the feeling of being all around fit. I remember during the time I boxed, my mom was moving apartments and I was able to move and carry things that I had never been able to do before, up and down stairs even, without fatigue. My endurance was ridiculous, and I just felt amazing. I basically need to make a plan and stick to it, instead of being distracted by everything out there. I am great at maintaining, which I'm happy with, but this year I want to look and feel like an athlete again.
I had a similar feeling about martial arts, I missed it so much that it almost ached. This past year I was able to find a martial arts school that I really click with and started taking classes in May. At first it was 2 times a week and has increased to 5 times a week. I am so happy and proud of myself for taking the leap and going back to something I missed so terribly. And I do feel like an athlete again.

My new school took me in as a black belt since I already had achieved that at another school. I do have to test at this school for their first degree black belt since they do some things differently. This year I hope to be able to take that test. I am so determined that I am pretty sure I will make it!!

One unexpected side effect of going back to martial arts is that I don't buy as many DVD's. Funny that even though I originally paid for an entire year of lessons I may actually save money since I buy fewer videos

Your future isn't written yet, your future is what you make it, so make it a good one. - Dr. Emmett Brown, Back to the Future III

What would happen if everyday I woke up and I did everything in my power to change my life? How would my life be different in a month, a year? - Liz Murray, Homeless to Harvard
NRGWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-13, 02:14 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I also want to clean up my eating habits and increase my water intake - these are always on-going goals for me. I was thinking of a monthly food challenge - like January will be to eat a healthy breakfast, Feb more water, etc.

And, I want to become more disciplined about my work hours and focus - I tend to allow myself to get distracted too easily by competing forces - and then I end up working late all the time!

Donna
Donna, your monthly challenges sound very good and very doable. Like you, water intake and nutrition habits are ongoing goals for me too.

I also have to become more disciplined with my work, especially if I want to get a part-time job any time soon! I need to set myself deadlines or work with a timer. Something so I don't end up working all evening.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-13, 07:23 AM  
donnamp

Marya - thanks, I like the Ravi Ana DVDs but I do need to be careful w/ my spine - particularly my lower back/SI joint. I probably would do better w/ a live class where someone could check my form and offer modifications. I'm lucky in that I don't have other problems like feet, knees, ankles, etc. I guess we all have our weak spots. Maybe if I worked on my spine more this year I would be able to ultimately do the Ravi Ana DVDs?

Can you recommend any Kundalini Yoga DVDs that are more gentle than the Ravi Ana's?

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-13, 07:33 AM  
sherry7899

Donna, I would suggest Nirvair's AM/Pm dvd. It is very gentle. The production is low budget, and there are no matrix/premixes like Ravi/Ana. However, he has a lovely and gentle personality.

I will see if i can find a link.

Sherry

This thread is a few years old, but very helpful:

http://96.30.11.231/~vfwnk/forum/sho...d.php?t=137037

This is the dvd I was posting about:

http://www.yogatech.com/Nirvair_Sing...ing_Relaxation

I have ordered from Yoga Tech several times, and they have excellent customer service. Unfortunately, I think you missed several recent sales.

I keep meaning to purchase this one: http://www.yogatech.com/Nirvair_Sing..._Your_Back_Now

I can't find any actual dvd clips, but there are some lecture/meditation clips from Nirvair here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/KRIKundaliniYoga/videos

If you can stream from you tube, there are a ton of practices here:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...nne+novak&sm=3

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, goals, new year goals