Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-13, 10:36 AM  
NRGWoman

Fitbit question

I am thinking of getting a fitbit and I am would like to know more about it. One of my questions is if there is a monthly subscription fee? Also does anyone feel strongly about it one way or the other?

TIA

Shayne

Your future isn't written yet, your future is what you make it, so make it a good one. - Dr. Emmett Brown, Back to the Future III

What would happen if everyday I woke up and I did everything in my power to change my life? How would my life be different in a month, a year? - Liz Murray, Homeless to Harvard
NRGWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-13, 10:47 AM  
Poodlepants

There are no monthly fees.

I had to buy a new FitBit last weekend, because my Ultra bit the dust (I had only had it for a year). I bought a One. I had mixed feelings about buying another Fit Bit because I had nothing but problems with my Ultra. Their CS was of no help. My biggest gripe is their CS shows no parity. I have read on here and at MFP that FitBit replaced (for free) Fit Bits for people who had lost their Fit Bits or dropped them into the toilet. Mine would never sync properly or hold a charge for more than two days and their answer to me was always to reinstall the software and do a reset. I asked for a new Fit Bit and I was flatly told "no."

So far, I am liking my Fit Bit One, but once a competitor makes a better product, I will go to them.

Last edited by Poodlepants; 09-22-13 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Correct typos
Poodlepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-13, 11:27 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodlepants View Post
There are no monthly fees.

I had to buy a new FitBit last weekend, because my Ultra bit the dust (I had only had it for a year). I bought a One. I had mixed feelings about buying another Fit Bit because I had nothing but problems with my Ultra. Their CS was of no help. My biggest gripe is their CS shows no parity. I have read on here and at MFP that FitBit replaced (for free) Fit Bits for people who had lost their Fit Bits or dropped them into the toilet. Mine would never sync properly or hold a charge for more than two days and their answer to me was always to reinstall the software and do a reset. I asked for a new Fit Bit and I was flatly told "no."

So far, I am liking my Fit Bit One, but once a competitor makes a better product, I will go to them.
My Ultra is also a paper clip after a little over a year. It started not holding a charge for more than a day, then the button quit working entirely. I went through 3 base stations and reloaded/reset countless times.

It was great while it lasted, but I don't think I'll buy anything else from them.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-13, 11:38 AM  
suegy3

I bought the Fitbit Zip July 7th and I love it! I bought it because I thought that it would make me move a bit more. Never thought that two months later, I'd be 33 pounds lighter.

You can synch it with myfitnesspal.com to really keep track of your eating and exercise.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-13, 11:45 AM  
Poodlepants

Quote:
Originally Posted by suegy3 View Post
I bought the Fitbit Zip July 7th and I love it! I bought it because I thought that it would make me move a bit more. Never thought that two months later, I'd be 33 pounds lighter.

You can synch it with myfitnesspal.com to really keep track of your eating and exercise.
Wow, that's awesome! Congratulations on the weight loss!
Old 09-22-13, 11:49 AM  
Poodlepants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
My Ultra is also a paper clip after a little over a year. It started not holding a charge for more than a day, then the button quit working entirely. I went through 3 base stations and reloaded/reset countless times.

It was great while it lasted, but I don't think I'll buy anything else from them.
Oh, yeah--the base chargers. My first one broke less than a week after I bought my Ultra. It took 6 weeks for a new one. That one lasted for about 6 weeks and they had to send me a new one. It was just ridiculous. The One has a small dongle now, so that is an improvement.
Old 09-22-13, 11:54 AM  
suegy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodlepants View Post
Wow, that's awesome! Congratulations on the weight loss!
Thank you so much!

One nice thing about the Zip, is that you don't have to charge it. You just change the battery every few months.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-13, 11:58 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I like my One much better than I did the Ultra.

As for CS, I agree that they are inconsistent. I had amazing CS from them at first, but it was much slower the last time I dealt with them. I wonder if maybe they're growing too fast to keep up with the demand? I don't know...

Anyway, I'm on my third Fitbit in three years. Paid full price for the first one, they replaced that one for free, and I paid half price for the One I have now. I am hopeful that the One will last longer than the first two. I think the new design is a vast improvement on the Ultra.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-13, 12:06 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

I love my FB, but I am resigned to the fact I will get a new one every year, though my Ultra (knock wood) is about 18 months old now.

I buy mine from REI. They will take it back at any time for any reason. That makes me feel better about the issue.

I lost one, got another, found the first one, so I have not had to rely on that REI return policy; but I like knowing it is there.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-13, 12:32 PM  
slysam

I love my fitbit and have had very little trouble with it. I currently have a One and it is my third fitbit...

The first I had was a "classic" (an older model before the ultra that doesn;t track floors). I had it about a year, maybe a little longer. It survived one trip through the washing machine and dryer. Then the Ultra came out, I wanted to upgrade so requested the Ultra for Christmas that year with the plan o give my classic to DH. Sadly, on Christmas day I mistakenly sent my classic through the washer and dryer again attached to my PJ's and it didn't survive. I received my Ultra that day.

I ended up buying another used Ultra off ebay for my DH since he was disappointed about the demise of the classic. He used his used Ultra for maybe 6-8 months before it stopped working. But really don't know what else it went through. The One had come out, so after his Ultra died, I ordered a One and gave him my Ultra. I've been using the One for about 6 months and my DH's Ultra will be two years old on this coming Christmas day (touching wood that it lasts).

But we have had pretty good luck with our fitbits other than the sudden death of the used Ultra I bought on Ebay.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote