Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-15, 01:58 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
I closed my account too because I thought Linked in was BS. It never really helped me at all and it is indeed a way for people to check you out. Where else would you put your personal info out in public for anyone to Google. Recently I started getting connection invites again which I accepted, but I haven't updated my profile, no personal details at all and I've made it as private as I could get it to be. I also tried to get Linked In to stop emailing me with updates, etc. I've managed to minimize it but I still get the occasional email.
The updates don't bother me. It has been my alternative to Facebook for over two years off and on. What does—or did, until I dumbed down my resume ... sometimes stuff like that needs to be done if you are trying to appeal to the most likely to hire someone like me (who actually because they are small businesses, usually don't have time for that nonsense)... these gigantic financial services companies "were interested in me", according to Linked In bots.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 02:41 PM  
leigh1673

Yeah I figured out pretty quickly that people can see me when I viewed their profile because I received notices that so-and-so viewed my profile. Of course I'd looked up a few ex-boyfriends and co-workers before I figured it out!

All in all, though, LinkedIn has been more of a career help than any personal hindrance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInTheHat View Post
This is why I have a fake facebook and a fake linked in account, all tied to a fake email I use when I'm required to give an email address for something that I'm skeptical of.

It only backfired when someone friended my fake-name on Facebook, then 145 of their friends all did too, thinking they knew me, then some guy did and started writing the fake girl incessantly. So I googled him to see what his issue was. He was just released from jail. Awesome. Fake names are the best.

If millions of idiot Ashley Madison users had though to make a fake-name-account, their marriages and jobs might not be in such jeopardy now.
I guess I can see the point of a "fake" FB account (although not entirely). But what exactly is the point of a fake LinkedIn account? To be able to look at people's profiles without them knowing it's you?

And it's my understanding that most people on Ashley Madison did have fake name accounts. It's the fact that their credit cards are being tied to the accounts that are getting the names out there in the public eye.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 02:43 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh1673 View Post
Y
I guess I can see the point of a "fake" FB account (although not entirely). But what exactly is the point of a fake LinkedIn account? To be able to look at people's profiles without them knowing it's you?
I was wondering the same thing.....
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 02:52 PM  
pcdoctor01

Quote:

And it's my understanding that most people on Ashley Madison did have fake name accounts. It's the fact that their credit cards are being tied to the accounts that are getting the names out there in the public eye.
I guess they should have used one of those visa gift cards instead of a regular credit card. I hear some folks used their real work email address. How crazy! I've never heard of the website until the new brought it up. As far a Facebook, it's great to keep in touch with old classmates but some classmates are just like Kim Kardashian. Always showing photos of herself every five mins.
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 02:59 PM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdoctor01 View Post
I guess they should have used one of those visa gift cards instead of a regular credit card. I hear some folks used their real work email address. How crazy! I've never heard of the website until the new brought it up. As far a Facebook, it's great to keep in touch with old classmates but some classmates are just like Kim Kardashian. Always showing photos of herself every five mins.
OR--and here is a crazy thought--just decide to not cheat on their spouses!
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 04:25 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

I actually wanted to see the old boyfriends contacts to see if he linked to the group of friends from way back when. He seemed arrogant and flirty, both of which are still making me want to brain bleach. I do not have fond memories, but do of some of that group and wonder what happened to them. I don't have any bad ex boyfriends that would be worth ranting over though, just this one lost my respect and to think he thinks I was all excited to track him down, blech.

Anyhow, I repeatedly told it it could not search my email contacts.

Maybe I was on the realtor's contact list. The other person, I don't get at all. They shouldn't have my email address but may. They haven't worked in years and years.

If I join again, I'll use my name and a different email because I will only join it to look at jobs. I'm not really looking for a new job, but am considering a big change when my dd graduates. I also found a job I would love to have, but it is just over the distance that would make it actually doable.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 04:28 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
OR--and here is a crazy thought--just decide to not cheat on their spouses!
Not getting into the cheating aspect of this - how is it possible that grown men (and a few women) just aren't getting the message we have been telling our kids for years- NOTHING you do on the internet is private and it NEVER goes away for ever.
Old 08-25-15, 04:58 PM  
andtckrtoo

I'm going to give a completely different point of view. I am a huge fan of Linked In - it got me every single job in the past 10 years. In hiring people, I look at their Linked In account and would not consider hiring someone who does not have one. I work in technology and a Linked In presence is really required. I can see that someone who is not in technology might not consider it to be so, but so many jobs are posted there. I also use it strictly for business purposes, so I'm probably not going to be looking up past boyfriends, etc.

I do NOT use it for personal anything. It's 100% professional. Yeah, I get some weird stuff on it - people wanting to meet me, etc, but I quickly shut that down.

Facebook if you are being stalked, you need to change your settings. You can actually make it so no one can find you, and you have to invite people to be your friend. Any old boyfriends I wanted to find, I'm either friends with on Facebook, I know personally, or they have names like John Smith (seriously).
Old 08-25-15, 06:14 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Christine, there was zero personal on my linked in account, which is why I found it so weird, that no one suggested was in my field. All of the people associated with the ex are in similar fields to what I do, so would be on linked in. So it makes sense to renew those contacts. As I said, I'll rejoin when I'm more serious about a new job. You may be missing some great people who don't want the unwanted intrusion that came with just a week of my account. Like I said, I'm on facebook so was shocked at how not professional my linked in results ended. I'm also very cynical that I can't seek out fellow alumni without paying for an account.

I'm glad you love it, but I give it a huge thumbs down, and I for the most part, I've been assimilated into the borg.

ETA- this article. You may all wonder what the heck... Why would someone care about a random person showing up as a suggested contact- http://www.interactually.com/linkedi...ocial-network/ This kind of answers it- the only way this person came up is if they searched for me at some point on linked in- this is a person I kept my distance from for 25 years, no even accidental email or facebook or any other social media. Doubly considering they have never had one would call a career and have not worked in years- there is no reason for them to be on linked in except to look for info on others, including "following" people who refuse to have a real life relationship with them. If you have an ex stalker (not that this is my case) or just someone really nasty in your past, I would totally skip linked in.

For my field and experience, no one is going to care if I'm no linked in, but i might miss some job opportunities.
Old 08-25-15, 08:56 PM  
andtckrtoo

Lynn - it happens. People (aka men, mostly) see your profile pic, and decide they need to connect with you. With a new account, you're showing up on feeds etc. A new account, and updated account - anything like that will bring you back to the surface. Give it some time and let it simmer down. If you get those kinds of personal messages simply tell the guy, "Sorry, this is a professional network, I'm not interested in anything else." They usually leave you alone after that.

Tags
facebook, linkedin, privacy, social media, technology