Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-14, 04:08 AM  
cristinalatina

Teresa Tapp facebook posts

Teresa Tapp is a fan of holistic health care. I respect that.

However, some links she uploads on her FB page state that lemon and baking soda are more powerful than chemo, root canals are dangerous to life and how people have overcome lung cancer by drinking wine with friends and reconnecting with their faith.

I am disturbed by these posts. I find them dangerous, vague and misleading. Should I unfriend?
Old 09-01-14, 04:37 AM  
topfitmama

That sounds like awful advice, Cristina. Unfortunately, anyone can post anything on Facebook and elsewhere on the internet, which just confirms that we need to use discernment and not accept all advice from one person regardless of how much we respect and trust them in their field of expertise. If your body is sick, find a doctor. Teresa Tapp is a fitness instructor.
Old 09-01-14, 05:28 AM  
Demeris

Oh, Christina--I'm disturbed by what you report of Teresa's FB posts, too.

I'm not on FB, but I know she occasionally gives nutrition/supplement advice that just sounds wonky (and 15 years ago, her God Made/Man Made diet put 30 pounds on me in 3 months!!!).

I love her workouts, but--except for the pyruval (sp?) glycine--I ignore her supplement advice.

I don't know enough about FB to know whether you can selectively ignore/set up a firewall for her dumber posts and just get updated on the sales or releases of new DVDs, but if those ill-informed posts continued, I would figure out how not to get them.

In fact, those FB updates you refer to in your post suggest that these aren't even based in sound holistic health care.
Old 09-01-14, 08:05 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Are you 'personal' friends with her, or does she have a fan page? You can hide a friend on your news feed without 'unfriending' him or her, which I have done with a couple of people whose posts I found objectionable for various reasons, then just check the wall from time to time to see if anything new is going on, but you'll still see all her posts...

If it's a fan page, I think you'd just have to 'unlike' it.
Old 09-01-14, 08:20 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristinalatina View Post

I am disturbed by these posts. I find them dangerous, vague and misleading. Should I unfriend?
Yes. UGH!

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
Old 09-01-14, 08:31 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenP View Post
Yes. UGH!
Absolutely. I unfollowed fitness people who put up links to Mercola, Food Babe and similar garbage, or any body-shaming. Who needs that stuff.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 09-01-14, 08:54 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:

However, some links she uploads on her FB page state that lemon and baking soda are more powerful than chemo, root canals are dangerous to life and how people have overcome lung cancer by drinking wine with friends and reconnecting with their faith.

Unfriend her. I think what she's saying is grossly irresponsible, and I am very much in favor of holistic and non-invasive procedures myself. She's an exercise teacher, and should stick to that. I am heartily tired of fitness instructors and yoga instructors (and there are MANY), who seem to want to control many aspects of their students' lives--what they eat and drink, what they wear, what sort of medical treatments to use, and so on. That is one of the reasons I got so turned off from kundalini yoga, for example.

This is why I do not "friend" instructors on Facebook. They aren't my friends, and that way I can enjoy their workouts without knowing about some of the off-putting things they post on Facebook. Because when I do hear about some of these off-putting things, I don't buy their workouts and get rid of any workouts of theirs I may have already bought. I will not subsidize people who have strong views that make me viscerally recoil.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
Old 09-01-14, 09:08 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:

I have met Teresa in person. It was not a fun experience. She gives me the creeps.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 09-01-14, 09:14 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
This is why I do not "friend" instructors on Facebook. They aren't my friends, and that way I can enjoy their workouts without knowing about some of the off-putting things they post on Facebook. Because when I do hear about some of these off-putting things, I don't buy their workouts and get rid of any workouts of theirs I may have already bought. I will not subsidize people who have strong views that make me viscerally recoil.
Exactly. I have liked many instructors' pages, but after a while I will unfollow and finally unlike them. So far, none of them have managed to not irritate me somehow
I only friended one instructor and I did so by mistake. I unfriended her a few months later because I don't really know her or want to know about her private life.
Old 09-01-14, 09:29 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I would definitely unfriend her. I am also an advocate of holistic medicine and being your own health care advocate. I think that any fitness person giving health care advice like this is irresponsible.

I did T-Tapp years ago and had enough one day...couldn't do another workout if you paid me. I know her workouts are effective for many VFers and I'm glad for that. We're lucky to have so many options.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
Closed Thread

Tags
alternative medicine, facebook, t-tapp, teresa tapp