Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-18-21, 09:44 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Essentrics

Cyana, I bet your your coral bark maple is gorgeous! I have never seen one but saw how pretty they are in a google search.
Thanks for the link to the Layla video!
Turmeric is healthy! How do you fix your turmeric (what do you put it in)?

Margot, I loved hearing about your vacation!

Sandra, I hope you feel better soon. Our 6 year old grandson had a cold recently. It lasted only 3 days and he is fine now.

Karen Jo, I hope your DH's procedure goes well for him and hope your mom recovers. You've had a lot of stress, I'm sending you hugs!

Beth, it sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed your yoga training.
I hope your director gets back to work soon and that things stay calm at work for you.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-21, 10:13 AM  
Garrie A.

Happy Monday aka Moan-Day! Someone bring me a pumpkin spice latte.

Here was last week for me. As I said earlier I'm doing a Body Beast rotation "my way" and this week started the Bulk phase. I've done the Build and Tempo workouts before, but this is my first time trying the Bulk workouts. I like that they are short (ranging from 30 to 40 minutes) but intense. What I don't like is that Sagi and the crew sometimes goes a little too fast (especially noticeable during Bulk Arms), and that I have to add additional stretching on my own.

Sunday:
Body Beast: Bulk Chest

Monday:
Body Beast: Bulk Legs (Strangely, while doing this workout I felt it was more quad-heavy to me but the next day my glutes had major DOMS. I was pressed for time so I didn't add any hip thrusts on the BootySprout.)
Cathe's Xtrain: Legs (stretch only)
TAUGHT Step class in the evening

Tuesday:
Body Beast: Bulk Back (I loved this workout. Short, intense, and to the point.)

Wednesday:
Active rest day
TAUGHT half of a Bounce Blast class in the evening

Thursday:
Body Beast: Bulk Arms (I like that he alternates between biceps and triceps but the pacing gets fast especially during the progressive sets. I thought I'd picked the right weights early on--10/15 reps, 12/10 reps, 15/8 reps, but when he reversed I had to go as light as 5 lbs. towards the end.)
TAUGHT Barre and Upper Express classes in the evening (did more coaching during the latter because my arms were fried after Body Beast)

Friday:
Body Beast: Bulk Shoulders (good workout but I like Build Shoulders more)

Yesterday:
Rest day

I will be back in a minute with personals...
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-21, 10:32 AM  
Garrie A.

Sandra: I had a cold a few weeks ago. Strangely, it was right after SO got his second dose of the Moderna Covid vaccine. (((HUGS)))

Beth: Glad you enjoyed your yoga training! Hope work isn't too stressful this week.

Cyana: The cat in my avatar pic is SO's cat (and now our cat), Pearl (aka Pearlie). She's such a sweetie and will be 5 in March (he adopted her when she was a baby).

Margot: Your vacation sounds beautiful! I've only knitted two sweaters since I've taken up the hobby--one pullover and one cardigan. The cardigan is my favorite of the two. While I enjoyed knitting the pullover (it was my first ever sweater and was a fairly easy knit except for putting in a zipper), now that I've gained more muscle in my upper body it doesn't fit me as well. So now in the future when I knit sweaters I will have go up a size.

KarenJo: Thanks for asking! Mom is doing very well; I visited her yesterday. Sorry to hear the loss of your Mom's friend. (((HUGS)))

Paine: I started a crocheted blanket a few weeks ago (this one using the same yarn but a different color scheme). As soon as I started everything came back to me, although I did watch the YouTube video for it.

Next week I think I'll take the week off from Body Beast since that weekend will be the Cathe Virtual Roadtrip. I might do a couple kettlebell workouts early in the week or even a Cathe full body workout just to get back into her style. My kettlebells are gathering dust but I've also kinda missed Cathe the past few weeks.

Waves all around!
CLX 6/19-9/19

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Old 10-18-21, 10:36 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

RE colds, I wonder if our bodies are now more vulnerable given that we are out and about more again, with fewer people wearing masks than this time last year? I'm glad that I haven't been sick, but I know there are colds going around on campus. I am also hoping I don't get flu-like symptoms in reaction to my covid booster next week.

Garrie, that is a pretty blanket; it would definitely be a nice baby gift! When you were during Caroline Girvan, did you have a favorite series? I just did her 5-day kettlebell (over 2 weeks, haha). I'm thinking about trying one of the EPIC series; I don't want it to be too hard, but on the other hand, I prefer using weights to bodyweight-only work. Any recommendations?

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-21, 10:47 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Garrie, you'll have to let us know how you like Cathe's Virtual Roadtrip.
Several decades ago, I made crocheted blankets in the pattern you linked to. It's a nice pattern. Crocheting a blanket was always meditative and relaxing for me. I had crocheted small stuffed animals and a mermaid before and that wasn't as relaxing because of so many pattern changes in the directions but I was happy with the finished toy.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-21, 10:55 AM  
Garrie A.

Beth: I actually haven't done many of Caroline's workouts. She has so many it's hard to keep up with! My favorite upper body workout is Day 8 of Epic (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSXA9iPfNOU). It features press variations (both shoulder and chest), and row variations (for the back)--nothing fancy. There's also a brief set of chest flyes and front raises towards the end of the workout. Since the presses and rows use the biceps and triceps as ancillary muscles there is no isolation work for the latter two muscle groups. I like this one because of its basic nature and the fact you can go seriously heavy. Another one I like is her "Dead Arm & Shoulder" workout/Day 39 of Epic II (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP6ajLZidD0).

For lower body, I've only done her glute/hamstring focused workouts. My two favorites are Day 13 from Epic (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh07zuq0rnQ) and her Galvanized Glutes/Day 21 of Epic Heat (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwzXJz0XeS0). I love both of these because they feature activation work with the fabric booty band plus hip thrusts (which I ).

I do plan on trying more of her workouts. Now that you got me talking about her, I might sub one of her shoulder workouts in place of Bulk Shoulders.
CLX 6/19-9/19

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Old 10-18-21, 11:02 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Garrie, thanks for sharing your favorites! One thing I liked about CG's kettlebell series is that the workouts were only about 35 minutes; I think that made them more doable for me (no dread). That's another reason I'm reluctant to try her EPIC series, although I guess if I wasn't planning to do the program as is, I could skip around.

Paine, I stopped doing cross-stitch in part because I was doing a large, complicated project. It's sad because it was a woman in a yoga pose, and I did finish a good bit, but I haven't gone back to it. Someone created the pattern for me, but the program that made it definitely did too many color changes; it could have been much simpler. My sister got my a sloth cross-stitch last Christmas that I did start but never finished - I should go back to that one.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 10-18-21, 12:07 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Look at this - I'm posting two days in a row and have some exercise to post!

Yesterday we did a dog walk. Daisy has a limit to her distance, mostly because she is very set in her routines and we think she didn't get taken for walks in her past. She does make up for it by setting a brisk pace so we went our usual 0.7 miles at about 3.7MPH average. I also did another 20 minute bike ride to an Ambient video. Decided I need to set up the larger TV we have in our extras in my workout room. Then at bedtime I did a stretch mostly sitting on the side of the bed plus some in bed and a bit over 15 minutes of meditation. Felt very relaxed after that and I was not feeling anxious all day like I was a few days ago.

My mom is doing pretty well. She hasn't had a fever for a few days and her cough and energy level are better. She usually keeps track of everyone and everything in her senior facility, though, so she's feeling a bit disconnected right now. I'll call her when I'm done her. No visits right now, even through her window, due to the outbreak there.

Yesterday we saw the fawn we'd rescued. She just has a little limp in that back leg but otherwise looked good. We were both very happy to see her doing well.

DH's procedure will be in mid-November. So a bit of time to angst about it. I was a cardiology nurse for a few years so I already know it's pretty routine nowadays and we have the best guy doing it and I know the worst that can happen. But right now DH had 10-second runs each of the last two days after several days without any. They leave him totally drained and anxious for hours afterward.

Beth, oh dear on the work surprise this morning. Fingers crossed for no big issues today. Maybe some kickboxing followed by restorative yoga tonight? First give your day the beating it deserves and then let it go? And I do need to actually look at those links you posted. I think I was conflating two separate sentences and took you to say the edgu was a chair yoga style.

Cyana, I do hope you got in something relaxing. You deserve it. I had a paperbark maple in my garden in Seattle. They are gorgeous. Glad you're enjoying yours.

Sandra, did you get rain last night? We did and there was snow in the passes so they're all closed again. It's cloudy, cool and damp today. A nice change. I get so tired of summer by its end. Not that we're guaranteed to be done with it yet.

Gary, that is a classic crochet pattern and a lovely one. What colors are you using? Good to hear about your mother.

Paine. Thanks for the hug. Simple needlework projects are definitely relaxing. I should unpack some of my yarn and knit a scarf.

I need to get a move on. Good time of day to call Mom. Hi to Margot, Carolyn, Donna and everyone else out there.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-21, 12:54 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Karen Jo, I actually was thinking about kickboxing for tonight! Glad you found some tings to relax you; that's good about your mom doing okay.

Here's the video I filmed yesterday that posted today for anyone interested:
https://youtu.be/45yq20JijOk

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 10-18-21, 01:31 PM  
Twigs

Hello everyone!

I'm keeping my workouts low-key this week. I didn't realise how much the vacation had worn me out!

Today's workouts:
- ETV Lauren's All Standing
- Karin Slings Anatomy 101 Hip & Rib Mobility

Sandra - So sorry you caught another cold so soon after the last one. Hope you feel better again very soon.

Beth - Hope today goes well for you with no unexpected surprises. Thank you for posting your new workout. I look forward to doing it tomorrow. I've been thinking of getting the Healthy Aging book now, after your rave reviews. I'm glad the course was so valuable to you.

Garrie - Pearlie is so cute. I miss my cats, they were so much fun. I'd love another one but my DH isn't so keen, as he's hoping we'll travel more once all the travel restrictions have been lifted. The crocheted blanket looks beautiful. My MIL taught me to crochet one afternoon but I don't think I'd have a clue where to start now. I'll take a pumpkin spice latte too please. Enjoy your Cathe roadtrip.

Paine - You are so clever being able to crochet stuffed toys.

Karen Jo - I'm happy to hear your Mom is doing well. Hopefully, it won't be too long before you can visit with her in person. It's also heart-warming to hear the fawn you rescued seems to have recovered from her trauma. I'm sending all good wishes to your DH for his upcoming procedure. I hope you can find some ways to relax in the meantime. Not easy though, I know! ((Hugs))

Cyana - It made me chuckle that you think of your ginger and turmeric as pets. I feel the same way when I sprout my seeds and grains. Watching them grow is kind of cool. I am a bit weird though! ;-)

Waves to Pam, Pat, Carolyn, Donna and anyone popping in today. Hope it's the beginning of a great week.

"Practice makes progress" ~ Sandra Hanna
Twigs is offline   Reply With Quote