Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-14-21, 09:17 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Nothing yesterday again. The back is still pretty painful. Today seems marginally better but that may be because I did virtually nothing yesterday except a few stretches. I'm afraid a walk may further irritate it. It's quite frustrating.

CAMBET, well done on the step count.
When I had this problem a few years back I did see the doctor but his only solution at the time was a round of steroids and PT.
Neither one was for me. It did eventually resolve so that's why I'm still thinking along those lines at this point. My kids keep urging me to see the doctor so I'm not in pain so I may change my mind at some point but I'm just not convinced yet. My DS suggested a chiropractor so that may be my next move.

Have a wonderful day!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-21, 07:21 AM  
cambet

Hi Ladies,

Yesterday I took a 48 min walk with a coworker around campus. We would probably not have walked for so long but I dropped an ornamental pin along the way, and I wanted to find it, so we retraced our steps so that I could (made another big circle), and I did! I did parts of CH Elite: Wild Horse earlier in the day. Made it to over 13,000 steps for the day.

SB - I guess from your previous experience going to the doctor is a tough call. I'm sorry to hear that you're still in pain. I hope that the stretches help some. Sending hugs.

Waves to All!
Old 10-16-21, 12:44 AM  
patchworkpenguin

So we got to our spot at the campground on Monday, looked around and basically sat down and stared at the lake for the next three days :-). Usually we plan a hike in the morning and then another hike in the afternoon however the weather was so nice, our spot was so lovely and we were so tired from everything going on in our lives we just wanted to rest, so we did! We did end up going to the grocery store twice however :-). part of the problem was there was only one hiking trail and it wasn’t exactly easy.

So today, after doing all the weekly laundry and then all the camping laundry I didn’t want to workout either. I should’ve just done one short cardio workout, I seem to have an ‘all or nothing attitude’ which could definitely be changed.

In other news, I’ve been alternating between the two “aluminum free“ deodorants I bought and found I definitely like the rose better, mostly because of it smell, but I have to keep reapplying it! I figured out the problem :-) it’s deodorant not anti-perspirant! It does nothing to keep me from sweating, it only smells good when I do! Ewwwww! So before we went on our trip I did a spot test of my old deodorant, Degree, on my arm and I had no reaction, so I went back to using it. I even checked out the Hubby’s deodorant that was in the camper and it’s only deodorant and not anti-perspirant. This explains a lot!

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-21, 12:58 AM  
patchworkpenguin

Cambet, on the road, we like to think of Dollar General as the first sign of civilization :-) will be driving down a two-lane highway and suddenly there will be a DG and we know there will be a town ahead. I’m glad to hear that you found your pin! That could’ve been a totally different story. I’m glad you enjoyed the clip.

SB, I’m sorry to hear that your back is still frustrating you. Although it sounds like the rest and stretching are helping. This may just be your body‘s way of telling you that you need to rest and take it easy for a while.

Old 10-16-21, 07:23 PM  
patchworkpenguin

Today’s workout started with Growingannanas’ 20m Arms and Shoulders . While the description said this was a no repeat she lied, for example we did alternating Arnold press and then we did them both at the same time. While technically not a lie I still feel this is a cheat. :-(

Next was Get Fit with Rick’s 2000s Fast Walk, 2000s with Ed Sheehan (?) and 7m CD/ST. . I haven’t done his workouts in a while and I was surprised to find only a few new ones. I don’t like the fast walks because I feel they are too fast, no fun, and I’m only taking little bitty baby steps however they do bump up my step count. I’d rather do a longer slower work out however.

Hope you guys have a good weekend :-)

Old 10-17-21, 06:32 AM  
cambet

Hi Ladies,

This is Homecoming weekend for me (my 30th reunion) and we're carrying out a graduation-like ceremony for the Class of 2020 this morning, since their graduation was canceled back when it should have taken place, so I'll be quick.

Friday there a was a lot of walking around campus for Homecoming activities. I made it to over 12,500 steps without getting in a workout.

Yesterday was not quite as active as Friday, though still good in terms of getting in steps. I had 8,300 steps when I got home in the evening, so I did CH Elite: Rope & Ride last night, just doing it for movement, to make it to over 10,000 steps for the day.

Penguin - Glad to see you're back! It's sounds like your vacation was nice and relaxing. Good to hear that you were in a lovely spot, and that y'all were able to focus on getting some rest! Yay! Also glad that you got the deodorant/anti-perspirant thing figured out. Good job with your workouts!

SB- Hope you're enjoying your weekend with your friend!

Waves to All!
Old 10-17-21, 09:40 PM  
patchworkpenguin

Cambet, It’s so nice of your school to hold a postponed graduation ceremony! I’m sure the graduates appreciated it :-).

Today’s workout consisted of Improved Health’s series 2 day 3 interval walk. Usually I like to add together shorter workouts but this one was 40 minutes and I was only planning on doing one :-). We started out with a 10 minute warm-up and then alternated 2 1/2 minutes segments a fast walk/slow walk, With a five minute cool down. I added on Rowan Row’s Post Workout Stretch

Old 10-18-21, 07:59 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Still nothing to report walking/exercise related but wanted to pop in and say hi.
I had a fun weekend with my visiting friend and our other friend so that was nice.
Still not sure if I'm ready for a walk yet.
My back is about the same and it is still painful when I walk and I have to kind of limp along so I don't really think that's helpful. I need to be a little more disciplined about stretching and doing some yoga/pilates routines focused on sciatica pain. There are so many on youtube.

CAMBET, your homecoming weekend sounds wonderful. Glad you're keeping active.

PENGUIN, sounds like a lovely relaxing trip for you so that's great to hear. Good work getting back into your exercise routine.

Have a great day!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-21, 10:08 PM  
patchworkpenguin

SB, I’m glad to hear you had such a good weekend with your friends. It’s easy when we don’t feel very good to just sit, expecting immobility to make us feel better :-). I had one woman tell me that when her back hurts she lays down and doesn’t move until she feels better “takes about two weeks“. Well I’m Happy that she is so lucky that she gets to lay down for two weeks but the rest of us have stuff to do.

Cambet, I was surprised to hear that Colin Powell passed away on Monday since we were just speaking of him.

I got tired of doing the same people again, so today I did Garage Fitness Girl’s 3000s HIIT walk, this was pretty good but she only has a few walking workouts and the other two are longer. Followed by MonikaFit’s 15m Walk and Tone. Not real impressed with either one of them.

Old 10-19-21, 08:02 AM  
cambet

Hi Ladies,

I was exhausted Sunday evening, and though I made it to 7,900 steps by nightfall, I just couldn't make myself get up off the couch and do 21 minutes of cardio/movement to make it to 10,000 steps for the day. I decided that was ok, and I would cut myself some slack.

Yesterday I had two brief meetings with colleagues and we decided to make them walking meetings, so I took a 25 min walk with one colleague and a 27 min walk with the other. Made it to over 12,000 steps for the day.

We have Fall Break coming up on Thursday and Friday and I'm telling you I cannot wait! I have so much to do and it'll be nice to have a couple of days to catch up and relax a little. One of the Italy crew was trying to get me and another friend to do a road trip to Boston, which would be a 14 hour car trip for us , but I think that I managed to talk her out of it yesterday. At this point I would definitely prioritize rest over a road trip.

SB - I'm glad that you had a fun weekend with your friend, but sorry to hear that you back is still so painful when you walk. My Italy-crew friend has aggravated her sciatica (from mountain biking too much) and she was just telling me last night that she started PT yesterday hoping to get some relief. I know you don't want to go the PT route, but maybe it could be helpful. I do hope that you get some relief soon.

Penguin - Great job with you workouts. I'm going to check out that interval walk that you mentioned when I get a chance. When I saw the news that Colin Powell had passed away, I thought about us talking about him and I'm glad that you mentioned that clip. The graduates were so thankful about finally having their postponed graduation ceremony. It was so worth doing!

Waves to All!

Tags
vera laro