Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-21, 09:03 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

I'm still struggling here with the back pain.
Even the plank the other day was painful so that's out too now. It feels marginally better today but I'm afraid if I walk that will irritate it further. It's very frustrating. And my friend from upstate NY is visiting this weekend so I have to do some house cleaning, no putting that off. From past experience I know it's a long process, but frustrating nonetheless.

DONNA, I'm glad you're seeing some improvement with your SI joint pain. I do have several CS dvds but I can't seem to click with them. Maybe I'll look through the youtube channel for something short and sweet. Thanks.

PAT, looks like another interesting walk for you.

DIANE, thanks for the recumbent bike link even though it's not available on amazon.
It certainly looks like a nice model. Wow that hill sounds intense. I do remember your saying you did nothing but yoga for that period when your back was so painful.
I know you mentioned what yoga you were following at the time but if you could refresh my memory that would be great. I'm not much of a yoga person but these are desperate times.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-21, 08:24 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning and TGIF! Yesterday featured:

~ YWK 15 Minute Morning Yin Yoga Stretch plus affirmations
~ Shakti Warrior Open and Receive - Letting the Heart Expand
~ Winsor Power Sculpting Buns & Thighs
~ 5,910 steps

I finally made it past Shakti Warrior class 4! Woot!

Oh Summer Breeze that is so frustrating and I can't stand to think you're in such pain. Good luck with the housework, and I hope this dark clouds moves away from you.

Donna, good news about your SI joint. Hmm, I forgot about those CS freebies on YouTube. I will try the shoulder one and see if it helps.

Diane, I am impressed by your bike ride - you go girl! I'm chuckling in your having healthy smoothies in the got-nailed glass.

Good morning to any else who visits on this fine day.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-21, 08:57 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

This morning was just an Essentrics from You Tube - Full Body Pain Relief w/ Sahra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnaxj4ejDdM

This was more advanced than the Aging Backwards for Beginners series I was doing with Miranda.

I took a walk yesterday and I plan to take another one today.

Summer Breeze - Ugh, I'm so sorry about your back...it is very frustrating. This time I decided I am going to take it slow and really try to get over this - my SI has been flaring for the better part of this year.....and I'm tired of it! once I feel that I'm on good footing I am thinking of adding on either Caroline Sandry's 30 Days to Flat Abs Pilates - this is a good one for stabilizing things in the low back and pelvis - which is what I need. Or, I was thinking about doing Jessica Valent's program for Prolapse or Post Partum. I don't have a prolapse and I haven't been post partum in 18 years, but in looking over both of these programs there is a lot of pelvic stability included which is what I need. In fact, the programs look very similar. It really does stink not to be able to exercise - particularly if it is form of fun/recreation/stress relief.

TGIF, Pat!!

Waves, Diane!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-21, 05:16 AM  
amoodygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post

I know you mentioned what yoga you were following at the time but if you could refresh my memory that would be great. I'm not much of a yoga person but these are desperate times.
For a full year, I did Bad Yogi's first program, which I had purchased years earlier but never tried (typical vidiot). But I think any yoga program, done consistently, can help you heal. My focus was on hamstrings, piriformis, and IT band. I had a wicked case of sciatica because of all these problems which moved painfully into my lower back. HTH!!!

Not ready to log my workouts yet as they're downstairs. Will post a bit later on!

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-21, 08:05 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

This morning it was:

CS - Aging Backwards Posture

Caroline Sandry - 30 Days to Flat Abs Pilates Day 1 - warm-up and level 1

I may get a chance to walk today before the weather turns stormy. Yesterday was really warm in the afternoon so I had to cut my dog walk short for the sake of my out-of-shape and aging Golden!

I have considered doing the virtual consult with Jessica V - I know she struggles w/ SI joint issues as well - so that gives her a nice personal perspective on things.

I have had issues w/ my back for years and years - going back to my 20's. Not exactly sure of the trigger. I used to run but I never had a bad injury from it -

I am trying to be more aware of my posture as I think slouching, leaning to one side, sitting on one hip, etc. is a big culprit in mis-aligning me.

Summer Breeze - the only caution I have w/ yoga is a lot of forward bending postures - proceed cautiously there. I have to be careful with those - instead of a forward bend I will sometimes do a reclined leg stretch for instance - it still stretches the hamstring, but it keeps the back out of it. Also any standing forward bending, I would not go as far, bend your knees, etc. I think Miranda from CS has it right - if you feel pain, back off to the point where you don't feel pain and do it from that modified posture. It is easy to get caught up on "flow" practices and over do it - at least for me!

I also suggest checking out Jessica Valent's you tube channel, she has several short practices for various back issues - scoliosis, si joint, herniated disc, sciatica, etc. They all seem fairly safe and not extreme in any way.

Also I do find ice to be helpful -

Diane - I bought that program as well and I have never done it ---- someday!! Right?!

Waves, everyone!

Donna
Old 10-17-21, 11:33 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

My friend just left a little while ago. We had such a good time this weekend with our other friend joining in too. I didn't do any walking or exercise but we kept busy.

DIANE, thank you for reminding me about Bad Yogi. My friend is a huge yoga devotee and she highly recommended it to me also.
She said since she's been doing yoga regularly she hasn't had any low back pain anymore.

DONNA, thank you for the reminder of the forward bending which is so painful for me. Those are good tips from Miranda too. I definitely need to check out Jessica V's channel. I'm going to try ice too, I keep forgetting, thank you!

PAT, hope your pain resolves soon too.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-21, 02:58 PM  
amoodygirl

Hi everyone!

Hope you all had a great weekend. It finally feels like Fall weather coming in with the cold front. I'm not a summer person so this definitely my kind of weather.

I have 4 days of workouts to log:
Thurs:
Pushups, Margaret Richard's Series 1700, show 7 (Biceps, Back, Glutes, Outer Thighs and Abs)
Lesley Hip Stretch Quickie yoga

Fri:
We wanted to go out for a bike ride, got ready, headed out to the car and it started raining. I was bummed to say the least. So all I did was Cathe's Ab Circuits Weights & Plates

Sat:
Cathe Body Fusion Step & Weights workout - an oldie but goodie
10 1/2 mile bike ride

Sun:
Pushups, Margaret Richard's Series 1700, show 9
Lesley 15 minute stretch
11 1/4 mile bike ride
Cathe's Ab Circuits - Stability Ball

Donna - that's funny you bought the same program. It's a really well-balanced program. I'm planning on revisiting it for a third time!

Pat - Now I think of you when I'm drinking my smoothie in my "nailed" cup! I like to blend a couple of blenders full of smoothies to enjoy for a couple of days. These cups are huge so they're absolutely perfect! Your workouts have also reminded me to revisit my Winsor Pilates dvds. Oye, so many dvds and so little time!

Summer Breeze - My body has never felt better since starting and sticking with yoga. These days I may be doing shorter practices but still so, so good! Sciatica, for me, is a funny thing. I really have to be super mindful all the time. My last injury was because I ignored a pain in my glute and continued my run and I was sorry. Never again! I'd rather be recuperating for a week than for a year!

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-21, 07:38 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

I think I forgot to check in yesterday - it wasn't an overly exciting day, LOL!

Sunday:

CS 1215
Dog Walk
Caroline Sandry - 30 Days to Flat Abs Pilates Day # 2

Monday:

Ellen's Barre Conditioning
Jessica Valent - Scoliosis Routine & Sciatica Routine - there was some overlap in these, but not too much and both were good routines for me today!

Hope to get out to walk today...

Diane - I think one of these days I'm just going to have to do that program!!!

Summer Breeze -how are you feeling? I'm better but not still where I want to be...but I guess I need to be patient. I'm thinking Ellen this week and Jessica V's PT routines and walking....hopefully!

Waves, Pat....

Happy Monday!

Donna
Old 10-19-21, 08:31 AM  
donnamp

Hi!

Yesterday after work I took my doggie for a walk - it was cooler so she walked faster and so did I!

Today was:

Ellen - Prayer Flow
Jessica Valent - Pilates for Scoliosis 2 and Sciatica Routine

I don't know of it is a coincidence or what - but my back started to feel better after doing the Scoliosis practices. It was feeling better already but that seemed to improve it even more. I guess a sign I need to do those more often?

Summer Breeze - I hope you are feeling a little bit better. I think Jessica's Scoliosis and Sciatica practices are on You Tube if you want to check them out. The Scoliosis practices are 20-ish minutes and the Sciatica is 10 min.

Diane - I'm getting the bug to do more yoga......just have to decide what to do! Is Erin's program really advanced? I feel I need to start at a beginner level and work may way up b/c I haven't done much yoga lately and I need to not re-injure or re-irritate anything

Waves, Pat!

Donna
Old 10-19-21, 08:47 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning everyone! I'm sorry to disappear. My arm situation flared up and then I sprained my little toe and was so disappointed I couldn't walk during the glorious October weather we had.

However, I got to see my adorable great grandnephew 2, who I haven't seen since Christmas before COVID. He gave me so many hugs and smooches I just couldn't stay sad for long.

Here's what I've been up to:

Friday:
~ YWK 20 Minute Morning Yin Yoga Stretch plus affirmations
~ 20 minute lunch walk
~ 5,622 steps

Saturday - nothing formal; 3,222 steps

Sunday - Nothing formal; 2,322 steps

Monday:
~ Winsor Pilates Power Sculpting
~ YWK 10 Minutes Hands Free Morning Yoga
~ 4,324 steps

I'm hopelessly behind! Have a great day everyone, sending healing vibes where needed!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jim fixx