Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-05, 08:22 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Question Janis Saffell Dynamic Stretch? Anyone tried this?

I want to put this on my wish list. I'm on a complete Janis kick and would like to read some opinions. (No reviews I could see yet.) Thanks!!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-05, 08:59 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

I have it and previewed it (but sent it back for an exchange because it was scratched). It looks good ! There are standing stretches, followed by floor stretches. All held a nice length of time, it seems.
The picture and sound quality (especially the latter) are NOT very good, though. And it's odd that Janis is "talking" to us in the intro section, but there's something off. Then it becomes clear she is just mouthing the words and her voice is actually dubbed in, when her mouth stops moving, but she keeps talking!!

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-05, 09:14 AM  
twinkletoes

Dvd

That voice-over thing really bugged me and I sent it back to Collage for a refund.
Old 10-19-05, 12:13 PM  
KathAL79

I have this, Pat, but haven't done it in a while.
This combines some athletic stretches, Pilates-type moves, and yoga-type moves. Parts are rather strenuous if you're expecting a relaxing workout. But I did pull it out a couple of times when I knew I couldn't fit in stretching, Pilates, and yoga and thus didn't feel guilty about skipping them.
It's set poolside, with boats going down the river in the background. Since it's outside, the sunlight varies from bright to overcast at various times. Janis could have cued a few more of the moves, particularly the ones where you can't see the TV. But her cueing isn't so bad this is entirely undoable.
From what I remember, there are a lot of lower body and torso stretches, but there wasn't much for arms and such. (I'm only pointing this out because somewhere there's a review that complained about all of the upper body stretching.)
My verdict (fuzzy because this is what I remember): I liked it but didn't love it.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-05, 12:39 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thanks everyone! Hmm ... seems like the Janis vids I already have - Hardcore, QF Cardio Kicks, and Strike Zone are pretty much the best ones. Too bad about the bad dubbing or lip-synching or whatever it is. I might have to get it because thanks to BeachBody, I now have a "need all vids in set/by instructor" compulsion in addition to a video addiction.
Old 10-19-05, 01:26 PM  
mtnmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58
Thanks everyone! Hmm ... seems like the Janis vids I already have - Hardcore, QF Cardio Kicks, and Strike Zone are pretty much the best ones.
If you want to branch out from Kickboxing and get another Janis workout, try Brand New Butt + Pilates. There are three parts to it if you get the DVD: standing leg work (my least favorite, but to the point), floor exercises using the band (gives you that worked-out/stretched-out feeling and is the part that is pilates based. I enjoy this section even though I'm not a huge pilates fan), and a step segment (my DVD is worth it for this alone!). The price has come down quite a bit since it's original release and it includes the band.
Old 10-19-05, 01:40 PM  
BarbK
VF Supporter

I bought this at Ross the other day for $4.99. The picture didn't seem very clear and somewhere on it, it said it was voice over (which didn't bother me) but I thought some of the music was irrating near the end. I did feel nice and stretched out afterwards. I liked how it flowed - I never do just a stretching video, so the fact that I completed it says something.

I didn't think she looked liked she does in BNB or BNB+P
BarbK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-05, 09:59 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thanks Diane, I've been looking at BNB+P but the "price!" Even on Amazon it's over $30. DDD has it for $18'ish but I don't know if it comes with the band. Think I'll wait for Amazon to lower a little.

It is good to know Janis has another winner out there.
Old 10-20-05, 12:51 PM  
Cathy Agostini

Hi Pat58,

I have this DVD and I hated it. If you'd like to work something out with me, I'd be happy to pass it along.

Send email to catherine.agostini@gsa.gov.

Cathy
Cathy Agostini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-05, 01:32 PM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

I didn't like Dynamic Stretch either. The quality was really poor.

I just got BNB on DVD - YAY!

Pat, have you tried her Yin Yang workout? They might have changed the name to something else, but it's the one she co-teaches with Scott Cole. You might like it.
GymRatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brand new butt, janis saffell