Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-15-22, 08:05 AM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Other Links of interest related to this topic:

ASDAH: https://asdah.org/health-at-every-size-haes-approach/

Fitness Influencers: https://www.dia.com/blog/live/our-fa...ers-to-follow/

Inspiring article of women running a race in their underwear to promote body positivity:https://www.badyogi.com/blog/800-wom...dy-positivity/

Fitness Influencer viral: https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/body...nstagram-post/

Award winning Body Positive Barre/Fitness Instructor: https://www.laurenleavellfitness.com...stofphilly2020

How to protect yourself from Eating Disorder Triggers in Fitness (*trigger warning- talk of eating disorder in article): https://www.self.com/story/eating-di...in-fitness/amp

Aubrey Gordon Nationally published articles: https://www.yourfatfriend.com/
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-22, 09:54 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Gemini, thanks for posting those links - love the underwear 10K! Also thought it was cool that the winning barre instructor was from Philadelphia (where I'm from originally).

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-22, 10:31 AM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I don't know. I'm about to have gall bladder surgery in May. It's a routine operation, but I'm sure that if I had a lot of fat deposits in my midsection that the surgery would be harder to do, and the recovery would take longer. I am not super thin by any means, but exercise has kept me out of the obese category, and I think it's better not to be in that category. However, I do think that everyone should be treated with respect regardless of their size.
I agree.

The HAES movement does real good in promoting the bolded.

If the emphasis is on being as healthy as you can in the body you currently inhabit, and loving yourself along the journey, that’s fantastic!

On the other hand, denying that obesity is real and greatly increases the risks of many chronic health problems, isn’t helpful. I think some of the HAES talk out there hurts people by going too far in the other direction.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-22, 10:44 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
On the other hand, denying that obesity is real and greatly increases the risks of many chronic health problems, isn’t helpful. I think some of the HAES talk out there hurts people by going too far in the other direction.
I will preface this by saying that I am not a medical professional or research expert.

However, in my clinical psychology doctorate program, we followed the scientist-practitioner model and were thought to think critically about research. Many of the research studies involving obesity find a correlation only, not a casual effect. That means many other potential causes could be a factor (e.g., low income).

I believe that HAES is attempting to expand our view of what we consider healthy/not healthy and encouraging us to consider a greater complexity of factors contributing to optimal health.

It is complicated; I do believe that's part of the point HAES is trying to make.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-22, 11:17 AM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I agree.

The HAES movement does real good in promoting the bolded.

If the emphasis is on being as healthy as you can in the body you currently inhabit, and loving yourself along the journey, that’s fantastic!

Yes, one of the things HAES is saying that you can’t look at someone and know how healthy they are. I know plenty of people who would be considered “obese” according to the BMI that have low blood pressure, excellent cholesterol, and no diabetes. Conversely, I know plenty of thin people that need to take medication for high blood pressure, cholesterol, and type 2 diabetes. Nobody ever says these thin people are unhealthy by looking at them. So, why assume that just because someone has a high BMI that makes them unhealthy? Studies have shown that genetics play a role in health conditions and also that health conditions are multi-factorial. In other words, weight does not define health.
Old 04-15-22, 11:26 AM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

I think it might be hard for people to digest the HAES concept…..especially on a fitness forum. Couple that with the fact that our society breeds fatphobia into us at an early age and it can be a challenge. Studies show that most girls begin calorie restriction behavior by age 8. Think about that. I think it says more about societal pressure for women to conform to some arbitrary beauty standard to always be sexually pleasing to men (men have no such requirement) than it does about a quest for health. In other words, fatphobia is behind a lot of our “concern” for people that are not thin.

I don’t see how HAES hurts people at all. It’s just saying that other health markers besides weight should be used to determine how healthy an individual truly is. But, I really appreciate all discussion even if it is opposing! And, I thank everyone for sharing their opinion whatever side they are on!
Old 04-15-22, 11:44 AM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
gemini, thanks for posting those links - love the underwear 10k! Also thought it was cool that the winning barre instructor was from philadelphia (where i'm from originally).
I loved the race as well!

Yes, Lauren has quite the business model! She has tons of clients and posts a lot on social media! People rave about her fitness classes!! I think if you get on her waiting list, you can do a drop in barre class.
Old 04-16-22, 12:40 AM  
topfitmama

Thanks for sharing the article, Gemini. In this paragraph, the author explains how HAES doesn't encourage denial but a different approach.

Quote:
Given Health at Every Size's unique approach to weight, Spence says there's often a misconception that the ideology is "anti-health," meaning folks will always be told that their current state of health is perfectly acceptable and there's no need to try to improve it — but that's not the case.
"A lot of times when you go to the doctor or even a dietitian that's not practicing HAES, instead of looking at individual habits, they're looking at the body size, a weight, or BMI," she says. "We're saying that there are ways to treat somebody that's not based on their weight because when you put someone in a restrictive mode, it's not going to be helpful."
I agree with the different approach and I've found intuitive eating to be a lot more helpful than trying to stick to a diet that may ignore my personal food preferences, my hunger, and most definitely my mood. Food and exercise should make us feel good and should add to the quality of our lives, not make living more stressful!

In my opinion, focusing on habits that support good health should lead to a healthy weight for each person, individually. That weight won't be the same for everyone and it may change over the years.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
article, article link, fat acceptance, fatphobia, haes, health at every size, lindo bacon