Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-30-21, 11:01 AM  
Negin

Classical Stretch Questions

I'm 53 and I realize that I've been chasing the diet and exercise pony for most of my adult life, well, at least since my thirties. I have a lot to choose from, so much, it gets overwhelming at times. And these days, with YouTube, well, you get the idea. Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. I am thankful.

So, because of having so many choices, I hadn't been doing much CS in quite a while. I usually try to do at least one every day or every few days. Once I started doing them again, and this happens to me every single time with every single program that I love - whether it's Jessica Smith, Ellen Barrett, Ballet Beautiful, Lee Holden, Jane Adams, Egoscue Method, you name it - I wonder, why am I not doing this program more often. The answer is too many choices and too little time.

Right now, I'm really enjoying a 14-day free trial to Essentrics TV. I am considering streaming, but that will be for the future, when, God willing, we'll be in a better place financially.

So here are my questions:

1. For those of you who enjoy CS/Essentrics, how do you work it in to your routine?
Do you do one daily? If not, roughly how often?
Do you add it in after your workout?

2. Do any of you do CS/Essentrics as your main workout? If so, how often, and for how long?

I remember a long time ago, I believe that it was Jackie, who mentioned that when CS is the main workout, one should aim to do it for 1 - 1/2 hours. I think that she said something along the lines of CS being effective at toning and tightening, but that one most likely needs more than 23 minutes a day to make that happen. The longer sessions would be, and this I remember clearly, where "zee magic" happens! Jackie, if it wasn't you, I apologize, but I think it was you.
Old 11-30-21, 01:26 PM  
Demeris

I'm currently not doing any Classical Stretch/Essentrics, but it is a huge part of my fitness/health plan.

I got back from 10 weeks abroad, and all I could do was Essentrics streaming and walking everywhere I went. I came back in better shape than when I left. I walked at least two miles every day--on days when I wasn't walking for exercise--up hill and down. Really, I was hiking more than walking because the town where I lived is hilly and webbed with narrow, cobblestone streets.

To get to the CS/Essentrics part: I did one episode a day, before I left my apartment. And after each episode, I felt so good, so light, so free. It relieved me of any aches and pains and freed up my mobility and lightened my mood.

Now that I'm home, I am enjoying my other workouts, but I might pop a CS dvd in the player on a light day or as an add on for some other workout. I might even use an episode as a warmup. Also, it's really easy simply to do two episodes back to back, and that will really give you a great workout.

Oh, I'm 64 with knee trouble. I attribute my lack of knee pain while in Europe to doing CS/Essentrics regularly.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-21, 04:43 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I try to do 3-4 CS a week. To do this, I only do about 3 weight workouts a week (pretty much just Cathe Live) and I keep them to about 45 mins. So I add a 20 min CS ep right after, which gets me to about an hour. If I know I'm doing 3 weight workouts, then I do one standing, one floor, and one barre CS through the week.

For in between days, I do a 30, 45, or 60 min CS/Ess (I have the streaming, so there's lots of choices). I guess I do these 1-2 times a week. I sometimes walk on the treadmill those days too.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-21, 06:26 PM  
Karla25

I recently started doing a Classical Stretch (CS) short program most mornings. It's pretty much eliminated my hip, knee and shoulder pain which were all on my right side.

I've always liked CS, but did them sporadically. Sometimes several days a week, and sometimes skipping weeks.

In the morning, if I have time, I will follow CS with a gentle 20-minute yoga practice. I prefer to do them in the morning because I don't always feel like doing CS after an evening workout.
Old 11-30-21, 07:21 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hi Negin!
I teach Essentrics 2 or 3 times a week, one or two in 60 min person classes and one 30 min class on zoom. I do my friend's live class once a week (we share the live classes). I practice for my classes and do one or two ETV or zoom classes as well. I rarely do the CS seasons, prefer the Essentrics workouts with a variety of instructors. I love the new live workouts, most are around 30 min. I usually do them as a warm up before my other workouts

I love Essentrics, but don't find that it gives me enough strength work, especially upper body strength work. I love variety & am a big believer in cross training so I tend to string short workouts together with Essentrics....strength, cardio, barre, yoga.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-21, 08:39 PM  
BunnyHop

I like CS as a warm up. It can be as gentle as I need it to be.
Old 11-30-21, 09:15 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
I remember a long time ago, I believe that it was Jackie, who mentioned that when CS is the main workout, one should aim to do it for 1 - 1/2 hours. I think that she said something along the lines of CS being effective at toning and tightening, but that one most likely needs more than 23 minutes a day to make that happen. The longer sessions would be, and this I remember clearly, where "zee magic" happens! Jackie, if it wasn't you, I apologize, but I think it was you.
I remember this conversation, but I don't think it was me that said "zee magic". I'm wondering if it was Glamgal (Jennifer)?

Pretty much all I do is Essentrics, walk, and ski. I throw in a little upper body, Jessica or Ellen here or there. I teach a lot of classes on Zoom and in person, so I don't have a lot of time to do other workouts.

Honestly, I think that a lot is just our own body type and nutrition. Some of the Essentrics instructors that are more athletic/slim/muscular are just built that way. I think bottom line is do what keeps you moving, happy and healthy. I'm mostly interested in staying comfortable and pain free, so Essentrics and Classical Stretch are my main workouts.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-21, 09:46 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
, I think that a lot is just our own body type and nutrition. Some of the Essentrics instructors that are more athletic/slim/muscular are just built that way. I think bottom line is do what keeps you moving, happy and healthy. I'm mostly interested in staying comfortable and pain free, so Essentrics and Classical Stretch are my main workouts.
I agree 100% Jackie! We are all different and you need to do what leaves you feeling good. I struggle with some chronic issues & I have given up intense workouts in favor of Essentrics and other low impact workouts like Jessica & Ellen.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-21, 12:17 PM  
Leonana

Justina Ercole said something similar about six pack Abs. She said most of the buff instructors with large followings on you tube had a genetic advantage. Not that they don’t have good workouts or didn’t workout a lot themselves, but not everyone is going to look like them.
Old 12-01-21, 03:16 PM  
donnamp

Oh my goodness, now I want to do CS. Maybe this evening, LOL!

I go in waves with it. It is great for mobility and range of motion!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, cs rotations, essentrics