Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-21, 07:17 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
"Women have slower metabolisms than men. That’s why they have a harder time controlling their weight. Menopause only makes things worse, slowing women’s metabolisms even more."

"All wrong, according to a paper published Thursday in Science. Using data from nearly 6,500 people, ranging in age from 8 days to 95 years, researchers discovered that there are four distinct periods of life, as far as metabolism goes. They also found that there are no real differences between the metabolic rates of men and women after controlling for other factors."
I'm deeply curious what those 'other factors' are.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-21, 07:20 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post

From Myth 2:

"Weight loss often starts off well at the beginning of a new exercise regime, but it fades over time, so that a year or so later, the weight lost is a vanishing fraction of what we would expect from all the calories burned through working out."

"The reason for this is frustratingly simple: when you burn more calories, you eat more calories. You might not mean to, of course, but that is the problem. The complex systems working subconsciously to regulate your hunger and satiety do an exceptional job of matching energy intake to expenditure."
Interesting language here. It tends to obfuscate rather than clarify. If he's talking about the endocrine system, then his other assertions also obfuscate rather than clarify because men and women have PROFOUNDLY DIFFERENT endocrine systems.
Old 08-14-21, 05:10 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I'm deeply curious what those 'other factors' are.
Weight and muscle mass are two factors mentioned specifically. I am also curious if there are any other factors they controlled for.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-21, 05:21 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Interesting language here. It tends to obfuscate rather than clarify. If he's talking about the endocrine system, then his other assertions also obfuscate rather than clarify because men and women have PROFOUNDLY DIFFERENT endocrine systems.
Here is the quote in context, though keep in mind this particular article appears in what seems to be a less academically/scientifically rigorous publication aimed at a more general audience*. I wish my library had online access to the more recent (August) Science magazine article:

"In one of the longer trials, men and women in the US burned 2000 calories per week during supervised exercise sessions for 16 months. After nine months, the men had lost around 5 kilograms, after which their weight plateaued. Women in the study lost no weight over the entire 16 months. Neither men nor women lost what we would have expected based on their exercise workload, despite the fact that their daily energy expenditures had edged up slightly.

"The reason for this is frustratingly simple: when you burn more calories, you eat more calories. You might not mean to, of course, but that is the problem. The complex systems working subconsciously to regulate your hunger and satiety do an exceptional job of matching energy intake to expenditure. What else would we expect from half a billion years of evolutionary tuning, where losing weight was generally a sign of impending doom? As a result, the amount of weight you can expect to lose from exercise alone over the course of a year is a paltry 2 kilograms or less."

*Edited to add: the New Scientist appears to be a non-peer reviewed periodical vs. a peer-reviewed academic journal.
Old 08-14-21, 05:47 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

FWIW, I just put in an interlibrary loan request to get the Science article since every other library around here except our home library appears to have Science magazine.
Old 08-15-21, 07:24 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Every time you turn around, there is a study that conflicts with some other study. I'm developing study fatigue. What I can't figure out is how you isolate some of the variables. I recently heard a gynecologist (on the radio) say that weight gain is not associated with menopause. She said it's associated with aging. But since aging and menopause happen concurrently, how do you parse out the two? I gained almost 20lbs. the year I went through menopause. Every single woman I know gains weight around menopause. It just seems incredible that the two aren't related. Sigh....
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-21, 07:57 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Every time you turn around, there is a study that conflicts with some other study. I'm developing study fatigue. What I can't figure out is how you isolate some of the variables. I recently heard a gynecologist (on the radio) say that weight gain is not associated with menopause. She said it's associated with aging. But since aging and menopause happen concurrently, how do you parse out the two? I gained almost 20lbs. the year I went through menopause. Every single woman I know gains weight around menopause. It just seems incredible that the two aren't related. Sigh....
I strongly suspect there are political reasons for ignoring the hormones and the endocrine system. I fear that any science of the human body that ignores this will, ultimately, hurt women.

And as for the sentences I bold-faced, why is it easier to lose that weight once the hormonal storm of perimenopause/menopause dies down?
Old 08-15-21, 08:12 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
And as for the sentences I bold-faced, why is it easier to lose that weight once the hormonal storm of perimenopause/menopause dies down?
Is it easier?! If so, that's good news! I was afraid I would be saddled with this extra weight forever!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-21, 08:21 AM  
Leonana

I did a search. The Mayo Clinic article said no, it’s aging. However, this article says lack of estrogen can have an effect.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/menop...t-gain-5184111

Quote:
How much of that weight gain is due to the hormonal changes of menopause or other factors like the effects of getting older isn’t entirely clear.2
Quote:
Females tend to gain weight as they age regardless of whether or not they are in menopause.1 But hormones—especially declining levels of estrogen—do play a role.

Some research points to the fact that estrogen can help block the body’s hunger signals, which, in turn, can help you eat less.5 What’s more, when weight is gained, it tends to settle as fat around the midsection.

One study followed average-weight premenopausal women for five years. By year three, those who had hit menopause or were transitioning into it (called perimenopause) had a significantly higher total fat mass, “truncal” fat (abdominal fat), and visceral fat (fat deep inside the body) than when the study started.4
Old 08-15-21, 08:43 AM  
Vantreesta

Dang, if estrogen blocks hunger signals I am in big trouble as it declines bc I am hungry all afternoon till bedtime as it is!!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, article, article link, metabolic rate, metabolism