Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-21, 07:22 AM  
Cher

Suggestions for out-of-shape exerciser

I went on vacation the end of April (no exercise but lots of walking) then had cataract surgery on one eye shortly after returning in May and the other eye end of May so I couldn’t do anything but walking until a few weeks ago.

I started backing doing Cathe’s Add-ons from her Basic Step dvd for a few weeks which went well. Yesterday I thought I’d pull out her LITE set of DVDs and did LITE Stacked Lower Body one set of each exercise. It was so hard for me to get through but I did it. I used a bit lighter weights than I used to. The problem is that I was SO TIRED the whole rest of the day.

Is this normal when starting back after a short break? Should I just keep doing Cathe’s LITE and it should get easier??? Or any suggestions what would be a good stepping stone between her Add-on workouts and her “Intermediate” workouts - like another instructor? It’s been so long since I’ve been in this shape, I can’t remember what I did before getting to Cathe’s 20 years ago. Maybe I’m just too old for these? . Of course before my vacation, I always did premixes and rarely did Cathe’s workouts as is. I was never that advanced. I would probably be considered an intermediate exerciser.

Any info or suggestions would be great.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-21, 09:42 AM  
BunnyHop

I've never been coordinated or strong enough to get any use from Cathe's workouts, but I have found that in general, the older I get, the easier it is to get out of condition and the harder it is to regain strength.

Just lately I've added lightweight indian clubs to my collection. I find it's a good way to warm up. My shoulders have bothered me just a bit in recent years, and this exercise seems to be helping. I think part of my discomfort was being so out of shape.

Next up for me will be some heavier weight clubs, doing similar (but not identical) sorts of movements.

Other stuff I like: Classical Stretch and Tai Chi.
Old 06-29-21, 09:58 AM  
Lori_Michigan

I'm 47 and perimenopausal, and I tore my meniscus back in February. I'm just getting back to weight training and YES I'd say that's completely normal to be tired. And I've been working out consistently since the early 90s. I've worried I've been too old or just too frail to do my favorite types of workouts. But I've recently given up that notion. As long as I modify and make it work for me, I'm going to keep doing what I can and focus on feeling good and having fun.

Even at my best a few years ago, I never did Cathe's dumbbells the same as she did. I've only done a few weight workouts in the past few weeks, but I've figured that I use half the weight amount that she does, and for shoulders I don't use any since I have a wonky left shoulder from an injury about 3 years ago.

I have also learned that I need about 2-3 days in between weight workouts so I'm not constantly tired. I fill those days with CS or just a 30 min light walk or I do a KCM lighter 30 min boxing and just kind of keep it lighter than I used to. I've realized lately that I don't do well with pure cardio anymore, it just exhausts me, and it does nothing for my weight gain either. Not worth it anymore.

I've been restarting back from various injuries over the past 3 years, and usually had to take months off at a time, and it's always hard to get back into it. I always feel a bit defeated each time, but then with the encouragement of other VFers, I feel better knowing that at least I'm moving and doing *something* other than nothing.

Good for you to get back into it!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-21, 10:22 AM  
kat999

I think one of the keys is to get into a good rotation that feels doable but doesn't overtax you to begin with. Probably not Cathe, because she's all about specific focus areas, but a lot of general total body workouts condition every single muscle group (unless it's pure cardio), and so of course you're going to be tired when you're just resuming exercise after a break.

Here are some things I do when I'm just restarting:

- Don't use weight at all for the first week. Do a rotation that mixes strength training with other modalities. One way might be:
-- MONDAY: strength
-- TUESDAY: cardio
-- WEDNESDAY: rest
-- THURSDAY: flexibility (Pilates, yoga, barre, fusion)
-- FRIDAY: strength
-- SATURDAY: cardio
-- SUNDAY: rest

Week two, add in VERY light weights. Like, 1 lbs. only or something ridiculous. Reduce the number of rest days down to one.

Week three, start to get closer to your "normal" weight sizes, but keep them on the smaller side than you might when you're in your ideal fitness shape. Either cut the flexibility day or do a cardio add-on.

Week four, reassess where you're at and keep at week three if necessary, but if you're feeling good, go ahead and increase your weights.

See if that helps!
Old 06-29-21, 11:40 AM  
Tugger31

It's totally normal to feel tired as you are getting back into exercise. Give your body the rest it needs without guilt or worry. Maybe for the first 2-4 weeks, just workout every other day and alternate weights and cardio/walking. I'd do split body parts for upper body. I think Cathe, alot of options, just have to make them work for you if Cathe is what you want to do. I often do her lower body workouts unweighted as my "cardio" now b/c I can't do impact and heavier lower body training bothers my back.

You could do something like this...

Upper body split
Rest/Stretch/yoga
Cardio/walk
Rest
Upper body split
Rest/Stretch/yoga
Lower body split or cardio
Rest

Etc, don't think of fitting everything into a 7 day week.

Sending positive vibes your way!

If you are wanting to do another instructor, I think Jessica Smith's youtube workouts would be a great place to start! She has great "Plug & Play" options to choose what you want to do!

https://jessicasmithtv.com/plug-play...tion-playlist/
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-21, 12:01 PM  
wendug

I always recommend Jenny Ford for getting back into exercising. She has tons of walking workouts, easy step, and even weight workouts. Nothing too taxing but gets you moving and you get encouragement from Jenny.

The first few weeks of working out are the hardest. Your body has to get used to exercising again so it is normal to feel tired. Just take it slowly at first!
Old 06-29-21, 01:40 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Do the workouts that you love, no matter what they are. I have some Cathe workouts that I like but I usually pick Margaret Richard because her workouts are gentler so maybe try some Margaret Richard workouts.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-21, 02:11 PM  
JENILU

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but want to go back and do so. I just wanted you to remember, you may not exactly be out of shape- or as much as you think anyway. Anytime I change a workout style, or leave and come back, there is always a tiredness involved. Its like a runner moving to swimming or something (I am neither), something new (even if you used to do it) is always harder. Once the muscle memory kicks back in, its usually easier again.
I am saying al this from memory, as I have different issues now, But I used to lift weights quite a lot and do walking cardio, then had to completely do recumbant bike for a while. Going back to weights and walking workouts was extremely hard at first, but kicked in quite quickly. After just a short break from the bike, I went back, and couldn't do near the intensity I had been doing. I could do the length, but my legs just could not get up to the intensity I had been doing. That is all probably why they say cross training is so good because of keeping different aspects of you in shape. I jsut do what I can of whatever these days- just so I move each day,
but speaking to your level, I don't think its age at all if you were doing a higher level pretty consistantly (I won't say easily, because you may have been challenging yourself quite often) before the surgeries. go back and forth between walking and those weight workouts til it feels more normal and then level back up- or atleast that is what I can do. Sometimes surgeries take more out of us than we realize. I know if I am supposed to have any type of surgery, they are supposed to really upgrade my steroid doses to keep my cortisol functioning properly, so I know in a regular perosn, it probably takes some time to naturally build that up and heal as well (It uses a lot of adrenaline or energy to heal.
I hope all this rambling makes sense, just saying don't give up on previous levels just yet- just build up a little slower than you think you should and definately rest properly to build muscle levels back up- foam rolling helps with this as well. I know all the lactic acid (I think thats it- whatever causes inflammation for healing) build up makes me tired till I get used to what I am doing.
I'll shut up before i totally don't make sense.
Many blessings and realize it take a little more out of use to heal as we get more mature. (Its all those extra brain cells we have now!! They use so much energy ya know)

After reading the other posts, I pretty much agree with everyone - even adding, I do much longer warm ups than I used to- even for kettlebells which they act like doesn't need a warmup. I may do a 10 minute or 15 minute low level cardio and then the Kettlebells and then yoga. That was the routine I did when I recently participated in a one week swing challenge. Her mobility warm up was 3 minutes and my muscles just were not loose enough after 3 minutes to do the moves without being in pain or exhausted. When I sowly warmed up, Iw as able to do a lot more. Shutting up for the second time. Wishing you God's many blessings!!

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-21, 02:13 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
It's totally normal to feel tired as you are getting back into exercise. Give your body the rest it needs without guilt or worry. Maybe for the first 2-4 weeks, just workout every other day and alternate weights and cardio/walking. I'd do split body parts for upper body. I think Cathe, alot of options, just have to make them work for you if Cathe is what you want to do. I often do her lower body workouts unweighted as my "cardio" now b/c I can't do impact and heavier lower body training bothers my back.

You could do something like this...

Upper body split
Rest/Stretch/yoga
Cardio/walk
Rest
Upper body split
Rest/Stretch/yoga
Lower body split or cardio
Rest

Etc, don't think of fitting everything into a 7 day week.

Sending positive vibes your way!

If you are wanting to do another instructor, I think Jessica Smith's youtube workouts would be a great place to start! She has great "Plug & Play" options to choose what you want to do!

https://jessicasmithtv.com/plug-play...tion-playlist/
PS: I also agree with everything she said, including Jessica Smith because I can almost always find something of hers i can do!

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-21, 05:00 PM  
Cher

Thanks everyone! Great suggestions and you all made me not feel like such a slug! I’ll just keep plugging away and will check out some of those Jessica Smith YouTube videos.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equipment gathering dust, restarting