Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-12-21, 05:45 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I was able to receive a "sample" of the ebook through my library (I'm on the waitlist for the real book, which is apparently quite long at 6 months!). Anyhoo, I read the entire sample today and enjoyed it.

I'm a book editor by trade, so I'm kind of a tough critic. I also feel like I've done a lot of my own research since my perimenopause has been so utterly tough. So, for me, I don't think I'd buy it. But once I can get it through the library, I'll read it thoroughly.

According to the Table of Contents, the early sections of the book are kind of the history of modern menopause and then moves into the real physical aspects of why we go through menopause. There's also chapters on HRT and a chapter on nutrition/alternatives. But I don't think there's much in terms of like groundbreaking info, but rather an overall informative book on a lot of aspects of menopause and perimenopause.

I did enjoy how she's very reassuring that all types of symptoms are "normal" and how truly distressing they are when you're really not expecting them at all and how suddenly it seems they all come on at once, and how long it seems when you're in the thick of it (just like me!!!). She also delves into how the aging process is thrown at us directly at the same time, so it's hard to distinguish what's due to hormones and what's just a part of getting older (I think she's meaning it's kind of up to the individual to determine).

I guess I would be more interested in how long or how many years severe symptoms last and some weight loss strategies, but again, that's solely because that's what my main problems are. Otherwise, I think it's great that it's charting so high on the Amazon best sellers and people are finally starting to give this incredibly disruptive time in our lives some attention in the media.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-21, 06:18 PM  
mamaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
That's where I discovered her, on Twitter. Boy she takes no prisoners! She also has a good series on Amazon Prime called Jensplaining.
Dr. Jen is the guest on this week’s Hit Play Not Pause podcast!

https://livefeisty.com/category/podc...lay-not-pause/
Old 06-20-21, 06:03 PM  
cecififi

I was in full menopause by age 45 and didn't have support as I was so young at the time. My symptoms at the time: I struggled to have a full night's sleep, was suddenly anxious and irritable for no obvious reasons, my hair was thinning rapidly (so much in the sink each day), lots of hot flashes and I gained weight despite no change in diet or exercise. I had to learn a lot on my own - especially how to keep my hair. I read lots of books, saw women's health doctors, naturopaths and osteopaths. I have a wonderful GP but she wasn't much help with this. What helped me the most was a small book by Dr. John Lee. His worked helped me realize I needed hormone replacement (only progesterone) so I have been taking bio-identical progesterone ever since (anxiousness/irritability and sleep issues gone instantly and my hair stopped falling). When my hair started falling out a year later, I realized it was my thyroid (Dr. John Lee's book helped here again) so I finally started taking a thyroid supplement and eventually started on medication for the first time in my life. I have never even been on the pill. My hair is in good shape now (not like before but I've got lots). I was prescribed estrogen but I gained weight instantly on that so stopped. For hot flashes - i figured out carbs above 15 g at a time left me flooded - even vegetables like sweet potatoes so I have to watch that - especially in the summer as I tend to flood more. I haven't heard of this doctor but I will surely check her out as I am 10 years into menopause and my symptoms are still there - on the edge - waiting for me. I don't consume cow dairy at all (allergy), i don't eat much grains at all and am definitely gluten free (mainly paleo). I take in very little sugar, cook my own meals etc. some have it tougher than others, i guess.
cecififi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-21, 10:45 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaste View Post
Dr. Jen is the guest on this week’s Hit Play Not Pause podcast!

https://livefeisty.com/category/podc...lay-not-pause/
Thanks! I saw some other good ones in the series, like one with Amanda Thebes. She wrote Menapocalypse, another good book with more of a diet and exercise slant.

Dr. Jen talks about MTHFR testing which isn't mentioned in the book, but is commonly sold to women: https://vajenda.substack.com/p/mthfr...g-and-estrogen

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-21, 02:50 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Thanks! I saw some other good ones in the series, like one with Amanda Thebes. She wrote Menapocalypse, another good book with more of a diet and exercise slant.

Dr. Jen talks about MTHFR testing which isn't mentioned in the book, but is commonly sold to women: https://vajenda.substack.com/p/mthfr...g-and-estrogen
I read Amanda Thebes' book, and it wasn't that eye-opening either. I subscribe to her newsletter so there wasn't much new info. Not much help though for those of us who can't/won't take HRT though.

I had genetic testing a couple of years ago and I'm compound heterozygous for both MTHFR genes. And I can tell you that I have nothing but problems with estrogen, either high or low. Puberty was horrible, being on the pill was horrible, being pregnant was horrible, the year after giving birth was horrible, and now perimenopause has been the absolute horrible time period of my life.
Old 06-24-21, 05:16 AM  
hypnomoon

Having a complete hysterectomy because of endometrial cancer last year has thrown me full-on into menopause, I have this book right now from the library. I haven't cracked it yet but it's good to know that it's got good info.
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-21, 12:36 PM  
momofcha

I thought my weight issues were related to my thyroid and then my hormones. I’m not sure what the issue is. I just can’t lose weight. I’m on HRT with nothing shifting in 3 months. I know I’m eating less because I cut out my snacks. Still nothing. Not sure what else to try.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-21, 12:50 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I read Amanda Thebes' book, and it wasn't that eye-opening either. I subscribe to her newsletter so there wasn't much new info. Not much help though for those of us who can't/won't take HRT though.

I had genetic testing a couple of years ago and I'm compound heterozygous for both MTHFR genes. And I can tell you that I have nothing but problems with estrogen, either high or low. Puberty was horrible, being on the pill was horrible, being pregnant was horrible, the year after giving birth was horrible, and now perimenopause has been the absolute horrible time period of my life.
I hope you can figure out what is causing your symptoms! But at least you can cross MTHFR off the list. And make sure your symptoms aren't signs of something worse like heart disease or cancer. Women sometimes don't get screened or treated for those diseases because they think hot flashes, fatigue etc. is "just menopause."

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-21, 01:11 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
I hope you can figure out what is causing your symptoms! But at least you can cross MTHFR off the list. And make sure your symptoms aren't signs of something worse like heart disease or cancer. Women sometimes don't get screened or treated for those diseases because they think hot flashes, fatigue etc. is "just menopause."
Thanks! Yeah, I hear people dismiss the MTHFR gene connection to estrogen but I think there's definitely something to it since I've been sensitive to estrogen my entire life.

Oddly enough, my perimenopause symptoms are kind of the complete opposite of a lot of women. I don't have hot flashes (yet) but I get chills before ovulating and before my period. I also had a complete blood panel bloodwork done a few months ago. My doctor didn't order estrogen or progesterone because he feels it isn't accurate (saliva preferred for that, but insurance won't cover it). All of my basic bloodwork is in the normal ranges, they are in the low normal but that's about it.

My TSH has ranged between 3.5 to 5, but my T4 and T3 are actually in the normal ranges oddly enough. I had been on synthroid briefly in my 20s and it made me incredibly ill and didn't do anything but make me jittery. I really don't want to be on that again but my doctor says he'd rather I not take it again right now since I really don't have any other hypo symptoms.

I have low ferritin, but it's actually higher now than it's ever been. I got my hemoglobin back into a good range from a few years ago. My magnesium level is great and my vitamin D is actually good (since I use a UVB light all year). I had two ultrasounds last year and no fibroids or cysts. I also had all types of cancer screenings, and thankfully all were fine.

It's really just this massive weight gain in the past 3 years of 30 pounds, all in my breasts and gut. Nothing stops it, nothing works to lose it. I've had numerous injuries in the past 3 years in attempts to lose it. It seemed to have gotten massively worse after my gallbladder was removed.

I could handle all of the perimenopause symptoms better if I could just lose any of this massive belly!
Old 06-24-21, 11:10 PM  
acey

I am going through perimenopause. I just turned 50, but have been experiencing symptoms (namely, menorraghia) since 48. In late fall 2018, menorraghia hit me like a ton of bricks. Bloody hell, literally! I've been able to control it with medroxyprogesterone, thank goodness, but right now at 50, I notice weight gain regardless of ramping up the exercise and not eating THAT much.

I just want to get to menopause so at least I don't have to worry about my uterus erupting like Mt. Vesuvius every so often.

Tags
aging, gall bladder, jen gunter, menopause