Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-12-18, 08:57 AM  
lizh

I'm a big fan of Talbots (always/only on sale). JJill has great styles, but I feel like the quality of most stuff sucks. I keep getting tempted to purchase things there because I like the styles but I've sworn myself off them.

I've had luck buying plain dress pants (many pull on) and a few random office appropriate blouses from Kohls. (also always on sale)

Thanks for reminding me about Dress Barn! I'm going to order from them this weekend.

thanks,
Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-18, 09:42 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but Old Navy's dress khaki's and black pants are my go-to. I don't even to try them on anymore, just order online and boom they fit.

I also really enjoy Land End's dress pants (w/ stretch). I really get mileage out of Lee dress pants, and they are super cheap and always fit (again, that stretchy factor really helps).
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-18, 10:11 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned before but Old Navy's dress khaki's and black pants are my go-to. I don't even to try them on anymore, just order online and boom they fit.

I also really enjoy Land End's dress pants (w/ stretch). I really get mileage out of Lee dress pants, and they are super cheap and always fit (again, that stretchy factor really helps).
Thanks Lori. I’ll have to check them out.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-18, 12:17 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I got some Dana Buchman Slim Straight mid rise pants at Kohl's this summer that are really flattering. They are pull on but are not baggy and the style I have has "tummy control" which I need. I don't wear pants in the summer so I bought several pair for the fall-one in navy, one in khaki and one in a black and white print that is really nice that they don't appear to have any more.
They are very office appropriate. These are the ones I got (Petite sizes):
https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-25...FcZHDAod3lQHAg

These are the same or similar in regular sizes:
https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-25...l-on-pants.jsp

These do not have pockets-I HATE pockets on pants because they are unflattering on me. However there are some styles in her slim straight line that appear to have pockets.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-18, 12:52 PM  
BunnyHop

This discussion has prompted me to realize that there's an outlet mall with all sorts of good options that I hadn't considered for a while.

I may well be going over there this afternoon, I've got a baptism service to attend and I should probably get a present too. Off to see if there's a gift registry.
Old 10-12-18, 01:40 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

I've actually had better luck with walking out of the store with business attire at JC Penny's than most of the wonderful suggestions here. I'm going to try Penny's and Dress Barn this weekend and if I run across an Old Navy, I'll check in. The Old Navy near my house doesn't even have jeans in stock in my size, pretty much ever, finding short or petite sizes in anything else isn't going to happen. I'm not looking for uncommon sizes either.

I find Kohl's dress pants to be more expensive than similar stores, even when I use discounts. The quality doesn't seem any different than Penny's.

I'd have to buy jeans too if that was part of the dress code. Where I live, it's warm to hot most of the year, so I wear shorts 90+% of my life. Bare legs are fine for me until the temps drop below 50.

Anyhow, what I see people wearing is often casual but just not jeans or tights, but not quite as dressy as the business insider article. I guess business casual -.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-18, 02:26 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I got some Dana Buchman Slim Straight mid rise pants at Kohl's this summer that are really flattering. They are pull on but are not baggy and the style I have has "tummy control" which I need. I don't wear pants in the summer so I bought several pair for the fall-one in navy, one in khaki and one in a black and white print that is really nice that they don't appear to have any more.
They are very office appropriate. These are the ones I got (Petite sizes):
https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-25...FcZHDAod3lQHAg

These are the same or similar in regular sizes:
https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-25...l-on-pants.jsp

These do not have pockets-I HATE pockets on pants because they are unflattering on me. However there are some styles in her slim straight line that appear to have pockets.
Thanks for the links, they do look nice. I’m going to put Kohl’s on my places to go this weekend. Dress Barn and Old Navy are in the same strip mall and Kohl’s is just down the road from them. I don’t usually shop at these stores so it will be fun to check out some new options.

Old 10-12-18, 04:28 PM  
BunnyHop

I got so distracted looking at clothing that I totally forgot to seek out a present for the baby. Sigh.

On the plus side, at Talbots I found two pairs of pull on velvet pants ($12!!) and a pair of pull on suede (well, polyester and spandex) pants.

Love the feel of both. I was beginning to suspect that my old velvet pants were going to wear out before I found a replacement, and now I have two new ones!

The suede pull ons are newer so the discount wasn't as great, but they're so, so soft. I found a similar top sorta at random in a TJ Maxx, which is what inspired me to give them a try. I'm so glad. Not sure I'll wear the two together, but I love having the option to choose.

Thank you for this discussion, I wouldn't have been inspired to go out looking otherwise.
Old 10-13-18, 05:09 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
I've also bought several pairs of Diane Gilman comfort waist jeans and leggings. They're sold on HSN under the DG2 label. Most comfortable jeans ever (but they're pretty high waisted, which I like because it cuts down on the muffin top, lol). ETA: I picked them up on Ebay for much cheaper!
I bought 2 pair of DG2 jeans from HSN today (not that I need any jeans—I need work pants ) but I was cleaning out my closet and filled a huge bag for Goodwill and had HSN on in the background. When they came on I decided to try them. I got one stretch bootcut in black and one velvet stretch bootcut in slate. Can’t wait to get them.

Old 10-13-18, 05:58 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbee View Post
Try Dress Barn - or Roz & Ali's (Same company). My daughter got me to try Secret Agent pants. I resisted but really they are my go-to dress pants a lot.

https://www.dressbarn.com/clothing/p...-pants/P-10761
These are fantastic! I was just coming here to suggest these. My issue is I have a significantly smaller waist than hips, so the elastic waist is a wonderful. I don't have a huge gap in the back.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, jeans, menopause, menopot