Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-09-17, 02:53 PM  
Sharaz

Body Beast vs Hammer & Chisel

I would like to know if H&C is as advanced as Body Beast.

I read past discussions and seems that many who completed H&C have NO experience with BB. If you tried both, please compare intensity.

I have not read too much about H&C.

Are these workouts Total Body only?

Which workouts from the set are advanced?

I'm not planning on getting this set now, but I'm curious. Maybe I missed some good workouts. On the other hand, I don't want to waste my money.

Do you think this fit my tastes. Please be honest
Old 09-09-17, 03:34 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Hi Sharaz,

I can't share my thoughts, as I haven't done the workouts yet. But I thought to add some links to detailed reviews, which might help a bit:

http://dysfunctionalparrot.com/healt...hammer-chisel/

https://2lazy4gym.com/2016/02/04/the...hammer-chisel/

Hoping others will chime in with their thoughts.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 04:09 PM  
horusosiris

Sharaz,

I have done both and I feel that BB is more advanced, while H+C is more intermediate to advanced. The intensity, of course, depends on your weight selections. If you truly challenge yourself with your weight selections, then BB is more intense and advanced. I seems to me that H+C is a mix of both BB and 21 DF. I much prefer Sagi to Autumn as a trainer and my trainer impressions held true for H+C. I preferred the hammer workouts with Sagi more than the chisel workouts with Autumn. Most of the workouts in H+C have a total body focus although within some of the workouts, varying body parts are emphasized more.

BB is a solid traditional solid weightlifting program that offers much variety with endurance and strength workouts that utilizes varying training styles, splits and rep patterns. It also has separate cardio and core workouts.

My favorite Hammer workout was Hammer Power (think of power lifting or olympic lifts). The Hammer Total Body workout is a remake of the BB Total Body workout and I enjoyed both versions. My favorite chisel workout was Strength Chisel.

As mentioned above, The Dysfunctional Parrot provides very a good review of both systems.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 05:14 PM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
Hi Sharaz,

I can't share my thoughts, as I haven't done the workouts yet. But I thought to add some links to detailed reviews, which might help a bit:

http://dysfunctionalparrot.com/healt...hammer-chisel/

https://2lazy4gym.com/2016/02/04/the...hammer-chisel/

Hoping others will chime in with their thoughts.
Thanks!!! I was looking for each workout total time. The workouts are short in general. I would have to double because I like to clock my lifting routine in an hour.
Old 09-09-17, 05:19 PM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by horusosiris View Post
Sharaz,

I have done both and I feel that BB is more advanced, while H+C is more intermediate to advanced. The intensity, of course, depends on your weight selections. If you truly challenge yourself with your weight selections, then BB is more intense and advanced. I seems to me that H+C is a mix of both BB and 21 DF. I much prefer Sagi to Autumn as a trainer and my trainer impressions held true for H+C. I preferred the hammer workouts with Sagi more than the chisel workouts with Autumn. Most of the workout in H+C have a total body focus although in some workouts, varying body parts are emphasized more.

BB is a solid traditional solid weightlifting program that offers much variety with endurance and strength workouts that utilizes varying training styles, splits and rep patterns. It also has a separate cardio and core workouts workout.

My favorite Hammer workout was Hammer Power (think of power lifting or olympic lifts). The Hammer Total Body workout is a remake of the BB Total Body workout and I enjoyed both versions. My favorite chisel workout was Strength Chisel.

As mentioned above, The Dysfunctional Parrot provides very good reviews of both systems.
Thanks for the details. I trust your judgement!

I'm interested in the full body lifting workouts only. I have no interest in the cardio workouts. I appreciate the recommendations.

These will fix well in a 3x week full body rotation. Probably will wait for a sale.
Old 09-11-17, 09:18 AM  
jcmclean

I have done two rotations and really liked Hammer and Chisel. I thought it was a good follow up to Body Beast with more metabolic weight lifting. The workouts really move along.

The only workout I didn't like was Chisel Agility (no weights) but the other 11 make its acquisition worth it. Even Chisel Cardio used weights and was unlike conventional cardio.
jcmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-17, 10:39 AM  
AnMrsDe

Quote:
Sharaz,

I have done both and I feel that BB is more advanced, while H+C is more intermediate to advanced. The intensity, of course, depends on your weight selections. If you truly challenge yourself with your weight selections, then BB is more intense and advanced. I seems to me that H+C is a mix of both BB and 21 DF. I much prefer Sagi to Autumn as a trainer and my trainer impressions held true for H+C. I preferred the hammer workouts with Sagi more than the chisel workouts with Autumn. Most of the workouts in H+C have a total body focus although within some of the workouts, varying body parts are emphasized more.

BB is a solid traditional solid weightlifting program that offers much variety with endurance and strength workouts that utilizes varying training styles, splits and rep patterns. It also has separate cardio and core workouts.

[snip]

As mentioned above, The Dysfunctional Parrot provides very a good review of both systems.
I agree with everything horusosiris says here. I think the thing I disliked the most about H&C is even though the workouts are categorized as "Total Body", most of them didn't include tricep or bicep isolation work. The muscles are worked indirectly but not in isolation, and as a result, I always felt the need to add on tricep or bicep work when finished with a workout. I think I'm spoiled by Cathe who always makes it a point to work all muscles directly to fatigue! Also, I felt some of the exercises were just awkward and hard on my knees done as is.

Sagi is laid back in these H&C workouts, moreso than Beast, but I feel he is super motivating in both sets and I can lift much heavier in the Beast workouts due to the rep patterns. And Autumn is super irritating, LOL. She is not my favorite with all her yapping, so Sagi's workouts are favored over Autumn's.

I would love a Body Beast 2!!!!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-17, 03:07 PM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnMrsDe View Post
I agree with everything horusosiris says here. I think the thing I disliked the most about H&C is even though the workouts are categorized as "Total Body", most of them didn't include tricep or bicep isolation work. The muscles are worked indirectly but not in isolation, and as a result, I always felt the need to add on tricep or bicep work when finished with a workout. I think I'm spoiled by Cathe who always makes it a point to work all muscles directly to fatigue! Also, I felt some of the exercises were just awkward and hard on my knees done as is.

Sagi is laid back in these H&C workouts, moreso than Beast, but I feel he is super motivating in both sets and I can lift much heavier in the Beast workouts due to the rep patterns. And Autumn is super irritating, LOL. She is not my favorite with all her yapping, so Sagi's workouts are favored over Autumn's.

I would love a Body Beast 2!!!!

LOL I love Sagi. I feel I would not like Autumn neither.

I think the H&C workouts are good as a break between heavy lifting split cycles. Sagi's new workouts looks great. Hopefully a Body Beast 2 is coming. He has a particular way of lifting program design that no one else offers.
Old 09-11-17, 03:39 PM  
horusosiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharaz View Post
LOL I love Sagi. I feel I would not like Autumn neither.

I think the H&C workouts are good as a break between heavy lifting split cycles. Sagi's new workouts looks great. Hopefully a Body Beast 2 is coming. He has a particular way of lifting program design that no one else offers.
I too would love a Body Beast Two with Sagi! Maybe before the end of the year? I can hope, can't I?
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-17, 05:05 PM  
Sharaz

Quote:
I too would love a Body Beast Two with Sagi! Maybe before the end of the year? I can hope, can't I?
We can hope Hopefully, our dreams come to reality.

Tags
body beast, hammer and chisel, power lifting