Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-13-16, 05:56 PM  
Kitten

Looking for beginners, restarters, and those who like to keep it low key

Are you a restarter? A beginner? Or simply someone who prefers low key workouts?

Lorelai & I are looking for like - minded people for a new check-in.

If you enjoy walking, fusiony, or any other low impact workouts, let us know.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-16, 06:10 PM  
cpcathy

Me! Restarting after breaking my wrist in September, need to get going again!

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-16, 06:15 PM  
TinierTina

Does low-impact, high intensity cardio count?

My knees and feet won't let me jump or jog much; or hyperextend or torque my knees.

I am borderline underweight; but Richard Simmons is up my alley ...

Maybe you didn't mean perennial beginners ... or no rebounding ...my bad

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-16, 06:24 PM  
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
Does low-impact, high intensity cardio count?

My knees and feet won't let me jump or jog much; or hyperextend or torque my knees.

I am borderline underweight; but Richard Simmons is up my alley ...

Maybe you didn't mean perennial beginners ... or no rebounding ...my bad
We'd love to have you Bettina. I'm a recent convert to low impact kickboxing myself.

And we do mean perennial beginners as well.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-16, 06:30 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten View Post
We'd love to have you Bettina. I'm a recent convert to low impact kickboxing myself.

And we do mean perennial beginners as well.
In, that case, please call me Tina.

I would be delighted ... I have gone from challenge to challenge, and two remain as of now ... don't really fit in most places ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
Old 01-13-16, 06:48 PM  
Lorelai

I like the term perennial beginner, lol! I sometimes start to feel a little down on myself, because I can find plenty of challenge in "beginner" workouts like Ellen Barrett or Jessica Smith's lower intensity workouts, even though I'm relatively young at 27, am not coming off an injury (except a tendency towards being too sedentary), with no known health problems. I don't think I'd want to get much above intermediate in intensity really. I think if I could do an hour long ballet/ barre workout that changes between large ROM and small pulses (I think Xtend Barre is a lot like this) then I'd feel pretty accomplished. Fusion workouts are really where it's at for me. That being said, I'd like to add some of Sadie Lincoln's and Sahra Esmonde-White's work eventually. If you're rotation challenged like me, or just kind of like to choose your workouts intuitively week by week or whatever, this might be a good check in for you too.

Right now my 11 month old is teething, and so while she's pretty happy despite this, 45 minutes is pretty much my max for one go. My personal goal is 30 minutes or so daily if at all possible. Please do chime in if any of this resonates!

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-16, 06:54 PM  
dmlarue1

I would love to join in too! I am trying to focus on lower key workouts because everytime I try to do something harder, I end up really sore and/or hurting for a few days which defeats the purpose. So I decided this year I want to focus more on consistency and lower my intensity (not that I was ever that high, I was never past intermediate lol!). So I am focusing more on Jessica Smith, yoga, classical stretch, etc...

I also cant do any high impact due to old knee and back injuries
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-16, 06:59 PM  
Lorelai

I just thought to add too, that this check in can be as low or high participation as you would like. Sometimes check ins can become very time consuming, which isn't to say that's bad, but I think sometimes it detracts and people don't want to participate if they feel they can't keep up. If you want to check in every day, or once a week, whatever works for you! Feeling chatty one day and all business the next? As Jessica always says, it's all about making it work for you.

Old 01-13-16, 07:21 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelai View Post
I like the term perennial beginner, lol! I sometimes start to feel a little down on myself, because I can find plenty of challenge in "beginner" workouts like Ellen Barrett or Jessica Smith's lower intensity workouts, even though I'm relatively young at 27, am not coming off an injury (except a tendency towards being too sedentary), with no known health problems. I don't think I'd want to get much above intermediate in intensity really. ... kind of like to choose your workouts intuitively week by week or whatever, this might be a good check in for you too.

Right now my 11 month old is teething, and so while she's pretty happy despite this, 45 minutes is pretty much my max for one go. My personal goal is 30 minutes or so daily if at all possible. Please do chime in if any of this resonates!
Yeah, I need to go a bit longer, most days. But long-term knee injury ... health problems that must be managed every day ... oh, don't forget my temperament doesn't get too, too into intensity ... generally, the works ...

It's a matter of "know thyself"

Not a bandwagoneer ... but I am sure there may be some gentle is the new advanced kinds of folks around too ...

#onlinestudiosandgyms

oh yeah, I used to have, until 2 years ago, an insulting name for gentle yoga. No more ... I think Josephine Lowey,kids yoga teacher, may have caught on that I had been using that brand to call "gentle yoga" a name ..

-Bettina

Old 01-13-16, 07:24 PM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
Yeah, I need to go a bit longer, most days. But long-term knee injury ... health problems that must be managed every day ... oh, don't forget my temperament doesn't get too, too into intensity ... generally, the works ...

It's a matter of "know thyself"

Not a bandwagoneer ... but I am sure there may be some gentle is the new advanced kinds of folks around too ...

#onlinestudiosandgyms

oh yeah, I used to have, until 2 years ago, an insulting name for gentle yoga. No more ... I think Josephine Lowey,kids yoga teacher, may have caught on that I had been using that brand to call "gentle yoga" a name ..
I like that phrase a lot! I think some lower intensity stuff like Ellen and barre actually can become more challenging depending on how much effort is put into it.

Tags
beginner, new check-in, restarters