Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-15, 04:56 PM  
cristinalatina

Fitspiration hall of shame

http://motherfigure.com/fitness-meme...ampaign=buffer

Great laughs from one of my favourite mommy bloggers, Meredith!

What do you think?
Old 06-08-15, 09:36 AM  
cmiyachi

I had a laugh looking at this. Thanks for sharing!

I have a professional relationship with web sites that sell yoga downloads.
cmiyachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 11:01 AM  
TinierTina

I don't feel like Laughing ...

This post is consciousness-raising and radicalizing.

There have been many petitions against images like these.
I left an inactive blog in Sparkpeople - in part - over these images.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 11:07 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

LOVE it.
Old 06-08-15, 11:12 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I don't understand the comments the blogger made. What point is she trying to make? Sounds like someone with self-esteem issues who is jealous of those in the pictures who should be proud of their hard work. Or, I'm just totally clueless.

Also, there's a typo in #8.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 11:16 AM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I don't understand the comments the blogger made. What point is she trying to make? Sounds like someone with self-esteem issues who is jealous of those in the pictures who should be proud of their hard work. Or, I'm just totally clueless.

You are not clueless.

I don't remember the last petition I've signed; but I think it was not long ago.

I do think it started becoming an issue though with the Facebook or Instagram Fit Mom : http://abcnews.go.com/Health/fit-mom...ry?id=21048325

The best inspirations and goals are the realistic ones ...

Even the #represent school of selfie studies, while in itself extremely too aspirational for many, has to be better than a bunch of commercial "Fitspiration" models ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
Old 06-08-15, 11:19 AM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
I think the point, and I agree with it, is that these images tend to perpetuate a very narrow, and unattainable for most people, image of what fitness is, and they're often paired with shaming statements implying people who don't look like those images are lazy, making excuses, not attractive, etc. That is problematic in itself, but I think she makes a particularly compelling point in showing how objectifying most of those pictures are. While you are right that the women in those photographs should definitely be proud of all of their hard work, they are people and the way those photos are edited and text added does not celebrate them as human beings. It generally reduces them to some abs or breasts to be stared at (hence her pointing out how often they are headless/faceless). I wouldn't say it's jealousy: I'd say she thinks those women deserve better, and women who do not look like that needn't feel ashamed about that either.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 11:22 AM  
TinierTina

The Lucky Sperm Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
I think the point, and I agree with it, is that these images tend to perpetuate a very narrow, and unattainable for most people, image of what fitness is, and they're often paired with shaming statements implying people who don't look like those images are lazy, making excuses, not attractive, etc. That is problematic in itself, but I think she makes a particularly compelling point in showing how objectifying most of those pictures are. While you are right that the women in those photographs should definitely be proud of all of their hard work, they are people and the way those photos are edited and text added does not celebrate them as human beings. It generally reduces them to some abs or breasts to be stared at (hence her pointing out how often they are headless/faceless). I wouldn't say it's jealousy: I'd say she thinks those women deserve better, and women who do not look like that needn't feel ashamed about that either.
Well, it's no mean feat for these Fitspiration models in their picking the right parents.

Hell, that's even doing God's work

-Bettina

Old 06-08-15, 11:27 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
I don't understand the comments the blogger made. What point is she trying to make? Sounds like someone with self-esteem issues who is jealous of those in the pictures who should be proud of their hard work...
Joni, I felt the same way.
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 12:07 PM  
little bird

Quote:

I detect some sarcasm with some of the photos. What's your excuse? Really? She could have said "You can do this too." To Me that would have sounded encouraging or inspirational and not sarcastic.

Tags
body image, fitness models, fitspiration, hall of shame, humor, self-esteem