Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-08-11, 02:09 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marissajd View Post
rlw3 I do think there is something to the Type A-ness/barre addiction. So many of the barre nuts I know are attorneys, as are a surprisingly high number of of the studio owners. Pure Barre Carrie was also an attorney in her former life. Maybe we find comfort in the predictable structure, rules, and attention to detail?
Hmm... interesting connection! That would definitely apply to me. I too love the structure of barre workouts, love how they require discipline, precision, and focus, love how they get more challenging as you become better at them (so there is a feeling of always progressing but never peaking). They are very aggressive in a very subtle, controlled way (if that makes sense!)
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 02:29 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Chiming in as a non-Type-A barre lover!!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 02:43 PM  
in paris

me three!
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 04:23 PM  
Demeris

Me 4 (hi, In Paris)
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 08:51 PM  
kariev34

Hmmm, interesting view on the type A personality thing. I definately have that personality trait. This may be why I haven't done so many barre as I'm not good at the form yet and coming from a perfectionist, this is frustrating. But i know practice makes perfect. I did P57 Vol 2 this am and loved it. Followed it with a mile jog on the beach at sunrise. Great way to start my day.
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 08:55 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Chiming in as a non-Type-A barre lover!!
Me five!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kariev34 View Post
Hmmm, interesting view on the type A personality thing. I definately have that personality trait. This may be why I haven't done so many barre as I'm not good at the form yet and coming from a perfectionist, this is frustrating. But i know practice makes perfect. I did P57 Vol 2 this am and loved it. Followed it with a mile jog on the beach at sunrise. Great way to start my day.
Kariev, What kind of results are *you* looking for? Barre is a great part of a workout routine, but it isn't the only way to get strength and flexibility. On the other hand, if you like it over more traditional weight training, or AWT, then what is making you ambivalent toward it?

I would like to add that although barre may seem like a new phenomenon, in actuality, its most current incarnation started in the 60s with Lotte Berk's classes, and her program was based on ballet conditioning that she learned before WWII, which in turn has its own history.

Last edited by beyond.omega; 03-08-11 at 08:58 PM. Reason: added stuff
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 09:01 PM  
kariev34

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
Me five!

Kariev, What kind of results are *you* looking for? Barre is a great part of a workout routine, but it isn't the only way to get strength and flexibility. On the other hand, if you like it over more traditional weight training, or AWT, then what is making you ambivalent toward it?

I would like to add that although barre may seem like a new phenomenon, in actuality, its most current incarnation started in the 60s with Lotte Berk's classes, and her program was based on ballet conditioning that she learned before WWII, which in turn has its own history.
Results I'm looking for? Leaner more feminine lines. I build muscle easily and don't want the thickened look anymore. I want to look toned but not muscular if that makes sense. My views on what I want my results to be have changed through the years. Im no longer into heaving as heavy of a weight as I can. AWT and traditional weight work no longer is making me feel good but is wearing me out.
Old 03-08-11, 09:08 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Results I'm looking for? Leaner more feminine lines. I build muscle easily and don't want the thickened look anymore. I want to look toned but not muscular if that makes sense. My views on what I want my results to be have changed through the years. Im no longer into heaving as heavy of a weight as I can. AWT and traditional weight work no longer is making me feel good but is wearing me out.
Yup...I hear ya about the weights. Barre is ideal for the kind of results you want, but keep in mind that it is only relative to yourself that you will get those results...you won't get Tracy Anderson legs is you are naturally more stocky (I'm sure you get that though .)
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 09:20 PM  
kariev34

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
Yup...I hear ya about the weights. Barre is ideal for the kind of results you want, but keep in mind that it is only relative to yourself that you will get those results...you won't get Tracy Anderson legs is you are naturally more stocky (I'm sure you get that though .)
Yes, I totally understand that I can't change my genetic shape but I can make what I do have the best it can be.
Old 03-09-11, 05:22 AM  
in paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Me 4 (hi, In Paris)
Kisses!

Quote:
The very same thing happened to me with rockclimbing. I made an *** of myself on holiday with the boys in Joshua Tree and vowed never again. I started lessons at an indoor rock gym immediately, only to find all my ballet training (and, fuzzie, my turnout ) made for an excellent base in climbing and never looked back.

There is something to be said for being a perfectionist. Many sports require exacting form to get the most out of them. And, once you learn it, you can put as much -- or as little -- into it, without fear of injury. (Tha's were the creativity can come in as well. Knowing what is right so you are able to change it up and challenge yourself.)

One of my reasons for loving barre (and rockclimbing training too!) is the precision becomes almost zen-like. I concentrate fully on form and become one with my body, turning off my over-active mind off. It's meditative, yet engaging my body fully... Much like a jog on the beach at sunrise, I imagine... I spent my years at college taking an early morning ballet class and would be the first in the rock gym so I could traverse the wall with nobody else there.

Keep at it! Overcome your frustration with barre and focus on form. Conquer it! Then, and only then, will you really see the results, imo, and by that point it will only be a bonus. Getting there is all the fun
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre, barre results