Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-11, 10:35 AM  
suegy3

Great review! Very entertaining! And congrats on your results. Laura's before and afters were impressive for only 30 days of the method. Seems like diet is a huge part of this...
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 11:21 AM  
F1mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickensgirl View Post
I loved this post, F1Mom, as I said above, but I'm a bit confused Your blog talks about Turbo Jam, SI6, Tracey Mallett, etc. Did you do the TA Method before & now you're on to these other things??? And is so, does that mean you aren't doing ANY TA even for maintenance??
I may have skimmed & misread both your post & blog but forgive me,
Jeri
No, I did the other things first (still have Si6 in the package), then decided on a whim to do the TA book. I wrote the review after I'd finished 4 days of the Sequence I workouts. I have not finished the 30 day bootcamp. This follows on having tried TA in 2009 after the birth of my son and getting scared off by the PP workout.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 11:29 AM  
2ndgen

Smile

Just to note that I did not say that being healthy and tiny (however one defines "tiny") is not possible (e.g., that it is one or the other).

I said being tiny was not my goal and health was my goal. I said nothing about the two things being mutally exclusive.

There was a discussion on the thread about being "teeny tiny" and I was responding that it wasn't my goal.

That my goal is health was a further point. I did NOT say tiny and health were mutally exclusive at all.

I did not discuss stress fractures or Laura Stroud (as I don't know who she is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmomof4 View Post
Just wanted to note that being healthy and tiny is possible, it doesn't have to be one or the other. I exercise for my health, but I also like the look TA's method gives me. Everyone's goals are different.

As for stress fractures, I agree with another poster who said overdoing anything can cause them, you can't really just blame one system. And it's all speculation that Kelly Ripa was taking a TA dance class when she injured her hip. She just said she got injured during "a dance class", from what I've heard. I used to teach Les Mills classes and had to practice hours a day. Then one day, I broke my foot. Would that lead people to assume Body Attack causes broken bones?

As for Laura Stroud it's funny, it never once crossed my mind that she might have a deal going with TA. I guess you never know! I think she looks very healthy and fit though, you go girl!
2ndgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 11:38 AM  
furmomof6

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 11:42 AM  
Pie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickensgirl View Post
I loved this post, F1Mom, as I said above, but I'm a bit confused Your blog talks about Turbo Jam, SI6, Tracey Mallett, etc. Did you do the TA Method before & now you're on to these other things??? And is so, does that mean you aren't doing ANY TA even for maintenance??
I may have skimmed & misread both your post & blog but forgive me, I'm a member of Packer Nation here near Green Bay & we are jonesin' for a FIGHT against DA BEARS Little distracted & watching Sports Center while I type
Sorry, back to fitness now!

Jeri
F1mom Great review.

Dickensgirl, Da Bears can't wait to kick some Packers butt!!! See ya soon....

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 11:51 AM  
Karianne

Here is another lady who had gotten results from doing the 30 days bootcamp.
http://www.bombshelllolita.com
Karianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 11:56 AM  
Kathy T

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
What is so beat your head against the wall frustrating about Tracy is that she has these "theories" of accessory muscles and cross vectors, but when you google these terms, nothing comes up. She would have more legitimacy if she would name the "accessory muscles" - I have looked at a chart of the muscular system and I can guess at which muscles she's thinking of, but without her naming them, how do I know that it's not just fiction created in her head?

And as for cross vectors, this is another term that exists only in TA world. I can only assume she's talking about total body integration during movement. For example, when I am playing Dance Central, I can just cheat the moves and only do the hand motion, or I can get more of a workout by putting my entire body into it, back, abs, hips, etc. But she makes up her own terminology for what might be authentic physical reality, and it becomes unverifiable and sounds flaky.
Maybe she's the E.E. Cummings of exercise anatomy!

3.5 hours a day. What's the maintenance requirement?!!!

We have great VF reviewers. Thank you F1mom.
Old 01-17-11, 12:56 PM  
F1mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy T View Post
Maybe she's the E.E. Cummings of exercise anatomy!

3.5 hours a day. What's the maintenance requirement?!!!
ROFL! e.e. cummings.

Actually, I figured out 'cross-vector' = on the diagonal. She's not as hard to translate as hieroglyphics.

I don't know where everyone is getting this 3.5 and 4 hour requirements. At most it would take 1.5 hours do do the whole program.
Old 01-17-11, 01:10 PM  
dickensgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie View Post

dickensgirl, da bears can't wait to kick some packers butt!!! See ya soon....
Back Atcha, Pie

Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did~ Mark Twain
dickensgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 01:28 PM  
F1mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee1forfitness View Post
That's what I said earlier in a upthread...I once did Turbo Jam 1-2 x a day, everyday for 3 months, (my at the time BF was taking me to Europe ) I dropped 50 lbs, so I could theorize that Turbo Jam is one helluva of method to..but realistic ANY method TA or Turbo Jam would work with those kind of DI*t and exercise commitents...I'm just saying
Not really. I got hurt with TJ and gained an inch in my waist after 3.5 weeks. And TJ is a system that pretty much everyone here liked and got results with except me it seems. Contrast that with losing an inch all over in 4 days with TA. And that didn't include the meal plan.

As far as the menu plan in the book, it's a boot camp and it's no more restrictive than any plan I've seen enclosed with a BB system or even South Beach. I actually like her plan better because it emphasizes whole foods instead of supplementation and it's clean eating at its luxurious best. She even says to eat more if you feel hungry (gasp!). That's all I'm going to say on that matter so I don't veer into restricted areas.

Ultimately I had to come to the point where I realized I had all the right knowledge, the right ways to do things, the right equipment and the right workouts and I was still struggling with PP weight. So what do I want? To be right and comfortably roomy or to get back into my clothes? That's a choice all of us have to make. Opinions don't give good results, after all.

It's easy for me to criticize someone for being too thin when I don't run the risk of that same criticism right now. That's the whole point of my review. Does that make TA a saint? No, it makes me an armchair fitness DVD expert who talks more than she works out. That's not a comfortable place for me. It would be nice to have the criticism that I need to gain weight for a change instead of the helpless "Oh, you'll never get your figure back after 2 babies and c-sections and being 40 because I never did ..." which is all I hear from the folks around me now.

Again, I don't know how or where people got the idea that this book requires 3.5 and even 4 hours per day. That's the kind of stuff rumors are made of. At best it's 90 minutes at the end of the sequences with tons of reps.

And what is 90 minutes? It's Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy and half of a CSI rerun I've probably already seen a hundred times, less if I actually focus and quit jumping up every time the cat, dog, husband or baby walk into the room. And because I'm not willing to commit 100% all the time the way Laura Stroud obviously did, I've worked out some additional scenarios to complete the program:

1. Do cardio and muscle work on consecutive days, stretching the program out to 60 days instead of 30 days.

2. Do full reps + 20 minutes of cardio one day, min 20 reps + 40 minutes of cardio the following. Repeat.

3. Add ankle weights to the lower body work per the book and max out at 40 reps, then follow with cardio.

4. Do cardio + muscle work at different times of the day, perhaps cardio in the AM before DH goes to work so he can watch both kids, then muscle work in the evening when he's home. Right now I'm doing it all in the evening and getting slower and slower about starting and finishing.

What made Stroud's blog so compelling is that it's the first blow by blow detail from a non-celebrity of how TA worked and it included before and afters. There's nothing suspicious to me about not having a Before picture. Plenty of BB folks on YouTube didn't take pictures of themselves in the very sloppy beginning, either.

I don't think TA is paying anyone to blog about her book. If you check her FB page, pretty much everyone on there has a blog about their daily experience with the book to the point they all read pretty much the same: it's hard work getting into shape

But we at VF already know getting into shape isn't easy, don't we?

Tags
30 day method, arms, barre, plastic surgery, results, tracy anderson, tracy anderson book, tracy anderson bootcamp, tracy anderson method, tracy anderson results