Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-15-13, 08:12 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Question PayPal Question

This may be slightly off-topic, but since I use PayPal mostly to make fitness-related purchases I figured it was not...

I have reached my "spending limit" with PP and they are now asking me to become "verified" by linking to a bank account. I am not comfortable with that. Is there a way around it? I thought about adding another credit card to my PP account but I cannot see a way to do this.

Have you verified your PP account? Have you found an alternative?

Thanks for your help!
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-13, 08:24 AM  
marmact

Nope, and I wouldn't do it. I closed my PP account long ago. I think it is much safer to use a CC that is only for online purchases. To me this seems like a better way to maintain some semblance of a wall between my bank account and merchants (and all the riff-raff desperate to steal from other people). CC companies have gotten very good about identifying theft as it's happening. Plus the bigger banks do offer the ability to generate one-time numbers. It might not be as convenient but it's certainly less hassle than having to unravel false charges.

That's just me, though. I'm sure lots of people will jump in and say they've never had a problem. I, however, HAVE had false charges in my checking account (used to use my debit card for everything - don't do that any longer, either). It took a lot of time, energy, and frustration to get those worked out. It made me feel very vulnerable and fearful. Not worth the risk, IMO.
Old 03-15-13, 08:59 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

I was in your position a while ago, fuzzie, and I was also not about to give them my bank info (though plenty of people seem to!). I worked and worked on trying to fool them with different email addresses even -- wouldn't work. But then somehow, I'm able to use it again and I'm not sure if finally another email address did work or if I'm just checking out as a paypal guest and they are using my card that way, but somehow it works again. I'm sorry this is so vague but I at least wanted to give you some hope.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-13, 09:16 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I do link my account w/ paypal. It's not my main account where paycheck comes in, and bills are paid from. It has enough money to cover whatever I need to buy.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-13, 09:26 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

If you can find a bank anywhere where you can open a FREE checking account, then you can link it to PayPal. The banks sometimes want you to keep a minimum balance. You might be able to get a free account with a low minimum balance at a credit union.

Don't keep much cash in there and you have no worries.

I refuse to link up a credit card with PayPal.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-13, 10:50 AM  
poohpeggy

I have had a linked account for over 5 years with no problems. Why is it bad? Peggy
poohpeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-13, 11:09 AM  
amoodygirl

I've also had a linked account for well over 5 years and never a problem. We also use the little Paypal security key as an added layer of protection.

Diane

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-13, 11:24 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohpeggy View Post
I have had a linked account for over 5 years with no problems. Why is it bad? Peggy
PayPal was hacked several years ago. I don't remember all the details, but some customer info was compromised. I removed my credit card info at that time.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-13, 11:25 AM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post

Have you verified your PP account? Have you found an alternative?
I guess I've found an alternative, in that I only use PP to pay with credit cards, and have never carried a PP balance (except short-term when I've returned things and gotten PP refunds). Periodically, PP asks/exhorts me to link a bank account, and I say "no thanks", and we carry on as before.

I haven't had any credit card problems that seemed related to my PP usage but can understand why people are nervous about it.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-13, 11:28 AM  
koinonia

Fuzzie,
Here's a couple of suggestions.

Close your existing paypal account and open a new one. You can use the same email address. I did this a year ago and didn't have a problem. I don't know about now though.

or

Add a bank account but don't finish the verification process. They forced me to link a bank account not long ago. They deposited a small amount of money in my account and I was supposed to confirm the amount, to finish the verification process. I never did the final step, but was able to use paypal like normal and my bank account is not listed as a method of payment.
koinonia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paypal