Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-12, 02:17 PM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Horiz Conditioning question

Hi,

Just did my first Horizontal Conditioning workout (Bootcamp) and it kicked my a$$ (yipppeee !). Maybe that wasn't the BEST one to start with. But, at least I now know how much room I have for improvement.

Questions to those those that have been doing these for awhile . . . How much improvment have you seen over the weeks? Do they get easier? Do you feel like you are getting more reps in each time ?

I don't think there was a single exercise (not including the cardio) that I didn't have to take a break or do a modification. How much easier are the volumes 1-3 ? This is just a curiousity question, I've drank the Kool aide . . . I'm on board for Sandra's type of torture.

If anyone is planning a visit to Sandra's gym, let me know. I'd love try a live class and get some form pointers.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 02:48 PM  
momof10

I have been doing these workouts for just over 6 weeks now. The first 3 Volumes do get much easier. As for Bootcamp and Volume 4, you will find yourself being able to get through it, but the workouts still feel challenging to me. I still love the first 3 Volumes. I would say my favorite of the first three is Volume 1, which has some great leg/butt work.

As for results, my waist is more pinched in. I have an hour glass shape, so it has always gone in, but now its more pronounced. My abs are definitely more cut and defined. My arms look the best ever. I don't see how someone couldn't get results from these. These are the best body weight, athletic workouts I have ever done. As for what some people call poor quality for her 101s, well, I don't care about the quality of the workouts when they are this good. Even the 101s pack a punch. I just received all 24 of that DVD Club workouts and I am flying high over all the challenging workouts I have to look forward to. I am 56 and an advanced exerciser, who plans on getting stronger and leaner on my way to my 60s.

Cheryl
momof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 02:51 PM  
momof10

Oh yeah, Sandra goes on the road and does conventions. She will be within a 100 miles of me in October. I want to go really bad, but my first grandchild is due the same weekend as the convention. Family comes first, especially for my first grand baby, who is a girl!!!!!

Look at her website to see when she will be near you.

Cheryl
Old 06-16-12, 03:05 PM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Actually, Birmingham is a 5 hour drive, but on the way to Atlanta. So I plan to make a stop one of these days.

I am so happy to hear you are in your mid 50's (I'm 43) and still able to be an advanced exerciser. There are so many threads on this forum about people having to scale back and being injured. It makes me wonder when the other shoe is going to drop and I am going to have to stop having all this fun. I try to be smart about listening to my body and cross training and stretching but I know other people have been smart about it also and still have had to cut back. I love my workouts and I want to keep that endorphin high forever.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 03:12 PM  
zippity

She's not too far away from me. I don't get to Birmingham very often, but this class is almost worth a trip!
Old 06-16-12, 03:40 PM  
momof10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
Actually, Birmingham is a 5 hour drive, but on the way to Atlanta. So I plan to make a stop one of these days.

I am so happy to hear you are in your mid 50's (I'm 43) and still able to be an advanced exerciser. There are so many threads on this forum about people having to scale back and being injured. It makes me wonder when the other shoe is going to drop and I am going to have to stop having all this fun. I try to be smart about listening to my body and cross training and stretching but I know other people have been smart about it also and still have had to cut back. I love my workouts and I want to keep that endorphin high forever.
Well, don't let those threads scare you. As long as you keep it up and don't stop, you will be fine. I have been at this for 38+ years and I am still going strong, even after having 10 kids. I get some negative comments on this forum, but I don't care. If you dont use it, you will lose it. I will be 57 this year and I keep continuing doing harder and more challenging workouts. You will be able to, too. I even have bad arthritis in my left hip. The doctor told me all the exercising saved me from having a hip replacement 15 years ago. He told me to keep moving as much as possible. Once I stop, I will need a hip replacement.

Cheryl
Old 06-16-12, 03:59 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post

Oh Sancho I feel the same way! I'm so glad to have Cheryl to look up to here on the forum! I'm 39 (will be 40 in October) and all that kind of talk sort of scares me, too. Actually, I'm terrified of menopause after reading some of the struggles people are dealing with. I know shouldn't be and everyone is different. I know I should just pay attention to myself and my own body and take things as they come. I really hope I can maintain my level of fitness for a long time to come! I worked so hard to get here and I've never felt more strong and empowered as I do today. Like you said, I think cross training and stretching are extremely important in preventing injury and set backs.
Old 06-16-12, 05:13 PM  
marmact

I've been doing these for three weeks. Mostly I've been rotating Volumes 1 and 3 (they were the first I bought). I have Get Rolling but didn't love it so I don't do that one. I bought the big package of 101s and HC Club workouts and it came today. I did the January HC workout - WOW! That was REALLY hard. I think I'm going to rotate the volumes and the 101s for a while before attempting 4, Bootcamp, or the HC again.

In terms of improvements, I can do more reps every time. I'm getting defined obliques and triceps. My glutes are sore ALL the time. Plus, there's just something SO addicting about these workouts. I really have to suppress the urge to do them every day.

I'm so glad you liked it!
marmact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 06:36 PM  
kariev34

First off, way to go on getting through bootcamp! Sandra herself said that workout even gives her some dread. Its super tough! All of the workouts are hard but in a different way. Just when you think you can't do anymore, she gives you a break. i've been doing these for 3 weeks or so and i'm finally happy with my arms. I tend to gain muscle pretty easy in my arms/shoulders. I'm natrually broad and heavy weights for my upper body just makes things worse. I've stopped all upper body weight training and have just done HC 2 times per week and my arms are completely streamlined and toned. My abs were always defined so I can't comment on that but I can say i'm much stronger then when I started.
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 06:51 PM  
Tiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof10 View Post
Well, don't let those threads scare you. As long as you keep it up and don't stop, you will be fine. I have been at this for 38+ years and I am still going strong, even after having 10 kids. I get some negative comments on this forum, but I don't care.
Cheryl
I think you are a total inspiration! I wanted to thank you for taking on HC and getting us a fabulous discount on the club DVD's. I just purchased volumes 1-3 from Mary and will definitely be getting the 101's in the near future. My plan is to rotate between the three 2x a week with maybe some extra upper body weight work. It is almost impossible for my arms to show any kind of definition or muscle so I will just play around with the volumes to see what works for me.

Thanks again!

H.O.P.E.=Hold On Pain Ends
D.I.E.T.=Did I Eat That

"If I fall, I will get back up. If I am beaten, I will return."
"Strong is what happens when you run out of weak."
"As the New Year dawns we look back on a year of upheaval through the world and through our lives as well. Life is difficult. For those of us raised with the illusion that if we go to school, work hard, all will be well, that illusion dies hard."
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bootcamp, horizontal conditioning, sandra koulourides