Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-05-12, 11:45 AM  
MARIKA

Thats exactly what they want from me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwichick View Post
This wasn't with PayPal, just a normal credit card transaction, but on the two occasions I have tried to order things from Canadian websites I have been asked to fax or email copies of my 'Government issued ID' (passport or drivers license) plus a utilities bill for proof of identification and address. These were large, well known stores. I decided on both occasions not to proceed with the purchases. I am sure they have their own reasons for these requirements, but from a customers point of view I don't want to provide anyone with everything they need to steal my identity.
I will just cancel paypal, it might actually be good. I can save alot of money.
Old 05-05-12, 03:25 PM  
rockette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
I received this email from PayPal in March:

"In an effort to keep our customers informed of changes which may impact their normal anticipated experience, we wanted to take this opportunity to share with you some changes that you can expect beginning in April 2012.

In July 2011, the Bank Secrecy Act was amended. In summary, money service businesses (such as PayPal) will be required to verify customers’ personal information prior to providing certain services or customer elected product offerings.

=====================
What changes can I expect?
=====================

For some specific products or balance funding options, PayPal may ask you to ensure your full legal name, address, date of birth, and the last four digits of your social security number are accurate. If your information is already on file with us, you may be asked to re-verify this information. If we do not have your information, you may be asked to provide or update this information before we can process your request for a particular product or balance funding action. We may refund monies to your funding source in the event that more information is needed.

PayPal will only ask you for this information if you are logged into your account. If further information is needed, PayPal will contact and direct you to resolve any concerns via our secured Resolution Center beginning in early April 2012.

=========================================
What can I do to help ensure my information is updated?
=========================================

The next time you log into your PayPal account, please ensure your full name, address, and tax ID information are accurate.

If you need to make an update, you can complete the process by following these instructions:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
2. Click "Profile" near the top of the page.
3. Click "Update" or “Change” beside the Name, Address, or Tax ID Number field(s).

We appreciate your business and look forward to our continued partnership.

PayPal

© 2012 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved. PayPal is located at 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131."

If you go the the PayPal site and click on the "Policy Updates" page, it will confirm the new changes:

"2.3 Identity Authentication. You authorize PayPal, directly or through third parties, to make any inquiries we consider necessary to validate your identity. This may include asking you for further information, requiring you to provide your date of birth, a taxpayer identification number and other information that will allow us to reasonably identify you, requiring you to take steps to confirm ownership of your email address or financial instruments, ordering a credit report, or verifying your Information against third party databases or through other sources. We may also ask to see your driver’s license or other identifying documents at any time. If you use certain PayPal Services federal law requires that PayPal verify some of your Information. PayPal reserves the right to close, suspend, or limit access to your Account and/or the PayPal Services in the event we are unable to obtain or verify this Information."

I'm considering closing my account. I don't even have a credit card hooked up with them since they got hacked a few years ago.
Thanks for the info. I haven't been asked for any additional yet but I really don't like the sound of this.
Old 05-05-12, 08:17 PM  
kiwichick

I work for one of the big banks in Australia, and when I was asked for all the additional information the second time around I spoke to one of our guys in credit card security. He told me (as we all know) that it is unfortunately easy enough for someone to hack into a cc account, but faxing or emailing such additional identification documents to a store or online retailer is pretty much the same as just signing over your whole life. Fax and email are not secure.

I'm not saying everyone out there is dishonest, but it only takes one person to intercept your information and it becomes a nightmare to resolve.

Last edited by kiwichick; 05-05-12 at 08:20 PM. Reason: to clarify
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 11:11 PM  
MARIKA

Sending a copy of my drivers license is extremely troublesome, Why would I do that??
Old 05-05-12, 11:19 PM  
Harantwanders

Your friend is so right. It is also easy for anyone to send phishing emails, create spoof sites and many other tricks to get info to hack into our accounts.

Even if this were a legitimate request, I personally, if it were me, would not be using paypal again in this lifetime and I'd never comply with a request like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwichick View Post
I work for one of the big banks in Australia, and when I was asked for all the additional information the second time around I spoke to one of our guys in credit card security. He told me (as we all know) that it is unfortunately easy enough for someone to hack into a cc account, but faxing or emailing such additional identification documents to a store or online retailer is pretty much the same as just signing over your whole life. Fax and email are not secure.

I'm not saying everyone out there is dishonest, but it only takes one person to intercept your information and it becomes a nightmare to resolve.
Harantwanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-12, 01:13 AM  
MARIKA

I'm taking it as the universe telling me to not ebay anymore! I get great deals but also waste alot of money. I have emailed them with cancelling my account my I think I will call to let them know.

Tags
paypal