Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-04-12, 10:28 PM  
MARIKA

PayPal Account Problem

Has anyone else been recently asked to submit your photo id to paypal? I tried to make a pyrchase and my account has been limited. They want proof of my identity and address. Why would I go to all the trouble of scanning documents to them when I can just use my credit card?
Old 05-04-12, 11:26 PM  
bee1forfitness

I think that sound rather odd...I'll call them if I were you, I've had Paypal for about 15 years and have never been asked for anything like that...even when my account was hacked...in fact perhaps you should double check by calling them in person to make sure your account has not been hacked. I wouldn't won't to send such personal ID like that over the internet...something doesn't sound right Marika
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 11:38 PM  
princess76

Someone is trying to steal your ID.
princess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 11:50 PM  
bee1forfitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess76 View Post
Exactly
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 12:10 AM  
MARIKA

Thanks guys, I figured something was strange. I almost take it as a sign to cancel PayPal, knock wood I have no issues ever but I do hear horror stories.
Old 05-05-12, 01:55 AM  
sm4987

I've been asked for the same information lately. I was doing some reading and found that they are beginning to ask for more information. Why i dont know. However i cant add money from a bank account anymore etc. Since I don't think PayPal that important, I'm not sure I'm going to give up that information. It's not that critical and why should a site like that need to keep all my personal information?
Old 05-05-12, 03:12 AM  
kiwichick

This wasn't with PayPal, just a normal credit card transaction, but on the two occasions I have tried to order things from Canadian websites I have been asked to fax or email copies of my 'Government issued ID' (passport or drivers license) plus a utilities bill for proof of identification and address. These were large, well known stores. I decided on both occasions not to proceed with the purchases. I am sure they have their own reasons for these requirements, but from a customers point of view I don't want to provide anyone with everything they need to steal my identity.
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 03:15 AM  
Harantwanders

Exclamation

Oh, yeah, they sure are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess76 View Post
Harantwanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 06:34 AM  
mandie123

I had some identity prob too in the past(getting email saying from paypal requesting info-I reported it to Paypal.If they need any info from you it would be on the Paypal site when you sign in under your acct there would be a message from them.
mandie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 11:44 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I received this email from PayPal in March:

"In an effort to keep our customers informed of changes which may impact their normal anticipated experience, we wanted to take this opportunity to share with you some changes that you can expect beginning in April 2012.

In July 2011, the Bank Secrecy Act was amended. In summary, money service businesses (such as PayPal) will be required to verify customers’ personal information prior to providing certain services or customer elected product offerings.

=====================
What changes can I expect?
=====================

For some specific products or balance funding options, PayPal may ask you to ensure your full legal name, address, date of birth, and the last four digits of your social security number are accurate. If your information is already on file with us, you may be asked to re-verify this information. If we do not have your information, you may be asked to provide or update this information before we can process your request for a particular product or balance funding action. We may refund monies to your funding source in the event that more information is needed.

PayPal will only ask you for this information if you are logged into your account. If further information is needed, PayPal will contact and direct you to resolve any concerns via our secured Resolution Center beginning in early April 2012.

=========================================
What can I do to help ensure my information is updated?
=========================================

The next time you log into your PayPal account, please ensure your full name, address, and tax ID information are accurate.

If you need to make an update, you can complete the process by following these instructions:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
2. Click "Profile" near the top of the page.
3. Click "Update" or “Change” beside the Name, Address, or Tax ID Number field(s).

We appreciate your business and look forward to our continued partnership.

PayPal

© 2012 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved. PayPal is located at 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131."

If you go the the PayPal site and click on the "Policy Updates" page, it will confirm the new changes:

"2.3 Identity Authentication. You authorize PayPal, directly or through third parties, to make any inquiries we consider necessary to validate your identity. This may include asking you for further information, requiring you to provide your date of birth, a taxpayer identification number and other information that will allow us to reasonably identify you, requiring you to take steps to confirm ownership of your email address or financial instruments, ordering a credit report, or verifying your Information against third party databases or through other sources. We may also ask to see your driver’s license or other identifying documents at any time. If you use certain PayPal Services federal law requires that PayPal verify some of your Information. PayPal reserves the right to close, suspend, or limit access to your Account and/or the PayPal Services in the event we are unable to obtain or verify this Information."

I'm considering closing my account. I don't even have a credit card hooked up with them since they got hacked a few years ago.
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paypal