Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-11, 04:08 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

How can you tell if a DVD is a bootleg?

I won an ebay auction for a Body Gospel set. It looks fine to me, but from what I've read here, many things from ebay are not a real Beachbody product. How do you know?
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 04:28 PM  
Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey vidiot View Post
I won an ebay auction for a Body Gospel set. It looks fine to me, but from what I've read here, many things from ebay are not a real Beachbody product. How do you know?
I don't believe you CAN know anymore. There are too many foreign counterfeiters out there that counterfeit practically everything in a package.

You not only get a counterfeit DVD and case, you get a bootleg jumprope, a bootleg measuring tape, and even a bootleg BeachBody shipping box that looks exactly like the real thing... whatever was supposed to come with the original BeachBody set, will come as a bootleg.

And if the DVD has glitches, you're stuck because BeachBody won't be able to help you.

I won't buy anything used anymore. And it sucks, because I used to buy and sell my tapes and DVDs on eBay.
Amazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 05:12 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Sometimes the picture quality on bootleg dvds is not as clear and crisp as on the originals. The colors can also be somewhat faded.
Old 09-05-11, 06:19 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

One way to spot a bootleg is to look at the written guides and other materials included in the set. With a bootleg set there are often typos in the written materials, some pages may be missing altogether, the paper quality may not be as high as one would expect, etc.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 08:31 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirl View Post
One way to spot a bootleg is to look at the written guides and other materials included in the set. With a bootleg set there are often typos in the written materials, some pages may be missing altogether, the paper quality may not be as high as one would expect, etc.
I won a CLX set on ebay and this is exactly what the printed material was like. I also had trouble with one dvd that would only play on my computer, not on either dvd player. I am sure it was a counterfeit.

I ended up giving it away--didn't feel like I could justify tring to sell or trade.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 09:59 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

you can do an internet search, like:

body gospel bootleg
body gospel pirated

and people might have posted somewhere how they could tell.

reading here on VF, for example. the tape measure might have no brand name on it.

but like jackie said, they're so good at bootlegging nowadays.

i went to a craigslist seller a few weeks ago because she had a jill miller set and 2 zumba packages, brand new.

the woman was a trainer and she was selling various odds and ends and fitness accessories that she was trying to get rid of. i looked at the zumba set, and said "interesting" and "did you teach zumba?" and she said "no, we were just trying to see if people would be interested in it" and i said "did you buy it from the manufacturer?" and she said "no, we found someone who was selling them."

boom, i knew it was bootlegged. i'm not even sure if she knew it was bootlegged, so i wasn't going to call the cops or anything.

it is very unlikely that the jill miller CD set was bootlegged, so i bought it. this trainer also developed her own body ball DVD and was selling kits of her own system in her studio.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 08:33 AM  
PeakFitness

Quote:
Or even if the materials look the same, you may look on the beachbody site and see that it's supposed to have a food guide, for example, but your set doesn't have a food guide. Or, with CLX, the guidebook is completely left out (the one you're supposed to write the reps in).
Old 09-06-11, 09:39 AM  
topfitmama

I have a Slim in 6 set and all the discs have the name of the workout engraved in the inner circle of the disc (shiny side) and the same number that appears on the front side of the disc SLDVD6101, 02 or 03. Would that be signs that these are genuine?

Many other DVDs have either some number or the name of the workout engraved in the inner circle, so I wonder if that is a "genuine" mark. Can this falsified too?
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 10:46 AM  
TLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey vidiot View Post
I got mine on EBay also. I was really nervous, but everything looks intact (literature, etc.) The chapters are where they are supposed to be. 2 discs had a couple of fine scratches. I wonder if they had a quality control issue with one batch.

I didn't think to look for engravings - that's a good idea.

"Try for progress, not perfection" Chris Freytag
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 11:16 AM  
Blackadar

Quote:
One way to spot a bootleg is to look at the written guides and other materials included in the set.
This.

I identified a CLX as a bootleg when the written guides were only 20 pages (still high-gloss, great quality) and the real CLX manual is like 90 pages.

Tags
bootleg, bootlegs, counterfeit, ebay, fake