Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-06-11, 10:05 PM  
suegy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
I disagree with anyone who thinks that using the Paypal gift option to pay for a purchase is not deceitful. It's a lie to say that you are sending money as a gift when you are actually purchasing something. It's a lie to accept money for something you are selling if the money is sent as a gift.

So, anyone who knowingly lies and says the payment was for a gift should not be entitled to buyer protection.

It amazes me that people feel that it's okay to commit fraud just because they think they might not get caught. If someone doesn't want to pay the fees charged by Paypal, then they shouldn't use it. If someone wants to be able to use Paypal, then they should pay the fees that apply to their transaction.
That's an excellent point.

And for the person that accepts Amazon gift cards, that's a great idea! I might sell some stuff to get the money on Amazon...I always shop there.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-11, 10:58 PM  
bee1forfitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
I disagree with anyone who thinks that using the Paypal gift option to pay for a purchase is not deceitful. It's a lie to say that you are sending money as a gift when you are actually purchasing something. It's a lie to accept money for something you are selling if the money is sent as a gift.

So, anyone who knowingly lies and says the payment was for a gift should not be entitled to buyer protection.

It amazes me that people feel that it's okay to commit fraud just because they think they might not get caught. If someone doesn't want to pay the fees charged by Paypal, then they shouldn't use it. If someone wants to be able to use Paypal, then they should pay the fees that apply to their transaction.
Thanks for posting this, I agreed with your entire post!!!
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-11, 12:22 AM  
muffins135

Good point(s) fitbop. I never thought of it that way. The other option is to send money as payment owed under the personal tab. There is no protection with that but it does deal with the gift issue.
This topic is interesting as many sellers on a FB page I go to give the option to pay for the item as a gift when using paypal. I was never comfortable with the no protection aspect.
Is there a problem with listing your price including the fees? Or price plus fees? I'm not running a business just selling items no longer needed.
muffins135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-11, 04:02 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffins135 View Post
Is there a problem with listing your price including the fees? Or price plus fees? I'm not running a business just selling items no longer needed.
I think the person who receives the money is meant to pay the fees. You can't charge extra for fees on Ebay either. The seller pays the fees for using the service.
Whenever I've refunded postage using paypal I always add a little extra for fees. I figure the giver is already going out of their way to get that DVD to me, so they should at least get a full reimbursement for the postage!

I have also paid a bit extra to cover fees when I bought a dvd listed on yayas, but this thread got me thinking: if everyone took paypal payments as payments, and not as gifts, everyone would add that little extra to their prices and nobody would feel like they need to pay more because their paypal account doesn't have the gift option or because they want the protection that paypal payments offers.

On a different note: I think the community aspect of these boards can make us feel safer than we should. How many people have sent out an item before receiving payment? how many people fail to send out a message to let their trading partner know they shipped their side of the trade?

A few months back I suggested having a feedback forum for traders but I was told that it had been suggested in the past and didn't work or something.
There are people who show up out of the blue (they never post) and suggest a trade. I don't feel comfortable with that at all, but if they were regular traders and had good feedback, I'd be more open to trading with them. As it is, the only thing that makes me feel relatively safe is seeing that a person who is trading with me is also active on here.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-11, 05:58 AM  
MM-Om

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
There are people who show up out of the blue (they never post) and suggest a trade. I don't feel comfortable with that at all, but if they were regular traders and had good feedback, I'd be more open to trading with them. As it is, the only thing that makes me feel relatively safe is seeing that a person who is trading with me is also active on here.
I know what you mean. There are traders on this forum with zero posts (they only post their trading list... which is kind of strange). I was very suspicious at first but I have traded with couple of them with no problem so far. I knew I took a risk, but it worked out just fine.
Old 08-07-11, 07:26 AM  
bearcatfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM-Om View Post
I know what you mean. There are traders on this forum with zero posts (they only post their trading list... which is kind of strange). I was very suspicious at first but I have traded with couple of them with no problem so far. I knew I took a risk, but it worked out just fine.
Me too. Everybody has to start somewhere (and I thank the members who did trades with me when I first joined). I've had several great trades with members who never post, but I got to know them because they made great trading partners after a while.
Old 08-07-11, 08:21 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatfan View Post
Me too. Everybody has to start somewhere (and I thank the members who did trades with me when I first joined). I've had several great trades with members who never post, but I got to know them because they made great trading partners after a while.
As a fairly new member myself I also appreciate that people have traded with me from the very beginning, but I have made the effort to let people know who I am too.
I remember the person who offered me the first trade ran into a situation that kept her from posting her end of the trade for several days. When I contacted her and it took her a day or so to get back to me, I checked her profile and saw that she is an active member and hadn't been posting for a few days, so I guessed something had happened.

My second trade took over a month to arrive. The trader is a very active member on here, so I doubted she'd arrange a trade and not follow through. She told me she had posted the DVD, I trusted her word.

But once I was offered a trade by someone who has no posts to her name. I couldn't even find her profile when I looked for it a few days after passing up the offer. I didn't feel comfortable and I think it's perfectly reasonable
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-11, 09:26 AM  
suegy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
This is why I'm suspicious of people trying to sell with low thread counts. If the user name on Ya Ya's was also a regular posting on VF then I would feel more comfortable. I never traded here but have bought and sold from Ya Ya's and my high thread count should let people know that I'm ok. I'm not going to screw someone over for $15 when my main focus is to share ideas and get fitness dvd information.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-11, 09:50 AM  
shoegoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by suegy3 View Post
That sucks. I saw that someone on Ya Ya's posted to use the gift option when buying their dvd's and I thought it was suspicious. That was the first time that I saw someone suggest that. I don't know why people are so deceitful.
I've used the gift option to buy and sell DVDs and I am not a deceitful person!

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-11, 10:07 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegoddess View Post
I've used the gift option to buy and sell DVDs and I am not a deceitful person!
Paypal is a business with fees for specific types of transactions including sales and purchases. Paypal developed the gift option so that people could send gifts. If people continue to use the gift option for sales and purchases (the motivation for which is to circumvent Paypal's policies and fees), Paypal will discontinue the gift option, and those people who honestly want to send gifts with Paypal will no longer be able to do so.

Besides the dishonesty of using the gift option for purchases, it's a risk to the buyer, who ends up with no recourse in the event the seller doesn't send the item or the item is defective.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buyer beware, paypal, ya-yas, yayas