Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-11, 12:48 AM  
pumptmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotted_zebra View Post
If he lived in the US it might be about greed. But as he doesn't I'm inclined to believe there's more to it than that.

I'll say this... all this tsk tsking is what's amusing me. Sorry, but there you go.
Huh?? If it wasn't a matter of greed, he wouldn't be making a profit from it. If someone isn't able to get a workout in their part of the world or if "extortionate" prices are a factor, c'est la vie. There are some workouts I'd like that aren't available in ntsc format and I deal with it. This guy is egregiously breaking the law with absolutely no concerns at all about doing it.

I think it's really sad that you mock that we're pointing fingers but that's exactly what's called for here. Oh, maybe I should remind you about the counterfeit Chinese products we've spoken about before. The same reasoning can be used to say "well yeah they're counterfeits...but they're saving people a lot of money." It's laughable and so conceited.

Oh btw, he also has a listing for counterfeit Lotte Berk sets, too as well as a relisting of the Tracy Anderson set. Knowing this guy's callousness, it looks like he'll be making up plenty more counterfeit sets in the future. Wow, what a really great guy! Gimme a break.

"We all have our own issues" - Lashaun Dale

"Hi, I'm Billy Blanks and welcome to Tae Bo" Billy Blanks - Tae Bo

** 50 time marathoner
** 15 time ultramarathoner (the longest was 40 miles)
** All time high scorer at Blast Billiards
pumptmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-11, 02:21 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Amazon.co.uk has other Tracy Anderson dvds at low prices. But I've never seen Perfect Design sold there, and I just checked again now and still don't see it. I've never reported anyone on Ebay, but if I did it would be someone misrepresenting what he's selling (and maybe not even then if I could work something out with the seller). But not this. If it's only available in region 1 then people with players that only play region 2 don't have many options.
I took this set to be Perfect Design
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tracy-Anders...8359183&sr=8-2

But I see I was wrong...
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-11, 07:30 AM  
twodiffsocks

Hi Ya;ll,

Usia--this is all i could find: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belpheg..._of_the_Louvre

I did find several copies on Ebay of this movie & the same on Amazon

Hope This Helps

"There ain't no rest for the wicked,
Money don't grow on trees.
I got bills to pay,
I got mouths to feed,
There ain't nothing in this world for free.
I know I can't slow down,
I can't hold back,
Though you know, I wish I could.
No there ain't no rest for the wicked,
Until we close our eyes for good".
Ain't No Rest For The Wicked -Cage The Elephant

"I dare you to do better." Christopher Pike
Start Trek {2009}

twodiffsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-11, 08:04 AM  
hollymarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post

Has anyone ever heard of the "Belphegor" TV series with Juliette Greco, from the 60's and NOT the remake from the 90's?
There are a few libraries in the US that own it:

http://www.worldcat.org/title/belphe...=brief_results

http://www.worldcat.org/title/belphe...ion&referer=di

“It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” Albus Dumbledore

hollymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-11, 08:52 AM  
Eibhinn

While I've unknowingly bought bootlegs from Amazon marketplace and been really mad about it, I've also knowingly bought bootlegs of videos which were otherwise unavailable to me. For example, despite there being a big market for it, for some reason the owners of the rights to the movies Koyaanisquatsi and Powaquatsi completely refused to allow the movies to be re-released. As a result, genuine copies were selling for insanely high prices on Ebay and Amazon. Someone offered to sell me bootleg copies at a reasonable price, and I jumped at the chance. It's not like the money for the genuine used copies were going to the filmmakers, anyway. When the films were re-released I bought genuine copies.

As another international VFer, I genuinely think this guy is coming from a place of frustration. There have been some videos I haven't been able to buy because the manufacturers wouldn't ship to Canada, or because their shipping costs were unreasonably high (I've seen everywhere from $20-$95 to ship a single DVD to Canada). And you know what? If the manufacturer is not interested in dealing with customers in a reasonable way, I would be more than willing to buy it from a bootlegger who is -- if they are honest about what they are doing. I think this is very different from people who mass produce bootlegs of widely available workouts like Cathe's simply to make some money by undercutting retail prices. Manufacturers who try to maintain a stanglehold over distribution by cutting off particular markets can't be suprised when this sort of thing happens. If there is a captive market, respond to it or someone else will.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-11, 08:58 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

I never believe in blaming a victim, and I don't believe the argument that it's the company's fault someone stole from them. Whether you continue to fuel it, at least admit it's illegal piracy and not a charitable act.

I used to help get companies licensed to do business in other U.S. states and sometimes there were hangups and holdups and increased costs for just that, so I'm inclined to believe there could be hardships in selling internationally as well, even if they aren't readily apparent to a potential consumer.
Old 02-22-11, 11:58 AM  
mamaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
And you know what? If the manufacturer is not interested in dealing with customers in a reasonable way, I would be more than willing to buy it from a bootlegger who is -- if they are honest about what they are doing.
Then download it from the same site that guy used. Bootleggers don't even bother to buy a the original anymore. They download it, usually from torrents, then sell it to you. If you're going to get it illegally anyway, cut out the middle man.

There is a thread on the Collage forum about TA meta. There are 2 posts on that thread begging the OP to make them copies or upload meta online. While I have no proof, expereince tells me they intend to make bootlegs not workout.
Old 02-22-11, 12:44 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
If he lived in the US it might be about greed. But as he doesn't I'm inclined to believe there's more to it than that.

I'll say this... all this tsk tsking is what's amusing me. Sorry, but there you go.
And at least he's not hiding the fact that these are COPIES, not originals Well at least Ebay is good for entertainment and craziness...I haven't had bad dealings with them, but I have never been comfortable buying from ebay...
Old 02-22-11, 02:31 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollymarie View Post
Thanks, the first one is almost certainly the "remake" of the original, but the second one looks promising. The original Belphegor from the 60's has so far been impossible to find. I would LOVE to lay my hands on it! Thanks very much for the links!
Usia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-11, 03:05 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
Has anyone ever heard of the "Belphegor" TV series with Juliette Greco, from the 60's and NOT the remake from the 90's?
It's available here: http://www.alapage.com/m/ps/mpid:MP-...-A13EBM8015916

It also might be available from www.fnac.com (though they are all in European region codes).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bootleg, bootlegs, dishonest ebay sellers, dvd region issues, dvds unavailable overseas, ebay, fraud, honest ebay ads, region issues, torrents