Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-22, 09:17 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I went to a naturopathic physician who helped me evaluate my particular food allergies, sensitivities and nutritional needs. It was well worth the money in helping me live a better life with autoimmune disease.

Another caution about MLM fads/schemes. They're like the Mafia - once you get in you can never get out.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-22, 09:37 AM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
It's frustrating.

Personally, I have had better luck in the past with seeing a functional medicine practitioner or similar. Someone who knows there's no "one size fits all" and will look at the individual for food sensitivities, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I went to a naturopathic physician who helped me evaluate my particular food allergies, sensitivities and nutritional needs. It was well worth the money in helping me live a better life with autoimmune disease.

Another caution about MLM fads/schemes. They're like the Mafia - once you get in you can never get out.
This 100%. You can shop around and find one who is going to be open minded, but firm enough to encourage you to try things you might really not want to try. I couldn't afford to see a functional doctor when my autoimmune was flaring for the first time and muddled through AIP on my own, had another pregnancy and postpartum period to deal with, etc ... But I was highly motivated to do things I hated doing, like giving up dairy for example, because I was home alone with 4 kids, 3 under 5 at the time, and was breaking out in psoriasis and had major aches and pains from food sensitivites (husband is an over the road truck driver and at the time had to be away for weeks at a time). Anyway, you want someone who will listen to you, look for your individual issues, and also be firm enough to challenge your ideas. Best of luck. 💜

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-22, 10:37 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelai View Post
Anyway, you want someone who will listen to you, look for your individual issues, and also be firm enough to challenge your ideas. Best of luck. 💜
Such a great statement!

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-22, 11:21 AM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

Ah...a naturopathic or functional doctor is a great idea as there are "issues" that I have to deal with.

Is there a website where you can find accredited (is that the right word?) naturopathic/functional doctors in your area?

Quote:
but firm enough to encourage you to try things you might really not want to try.
I'm probably going to need that

Quote:
I have used several. Some were better than others. Do you have specific questions?
Just what to look for. What to expect. Outcomes.
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-22, 12:25 PM  
BigBadBetty

I was a part of a weight loss study which involved meeting with a RD regularly. My RD did not believe in the one ultimate diet. She worked within your tastes and body's preferences. I think that is key. I would say the most helpful thing she did is help me set biweekly SMART goals. SMART stands for
  1. Specific
  2. Measurable
  3. Achievable
  4. Relevant
  5. Time bound
It really helped. It was not goals like lose 2 lbs by week. It was like do this specific change to your behavior which will likely lead to weight loss.

It sounds like you have the basic understanding how weight loss works. So did I. However, I couldn't make it work. This approach really helped me. It has helped me other parts of my life: focusing on behavior patterns rather than the end result I want.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-22, 12:32 PM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBetty View Post
I was a part of a weight loss study which involved meeting with a RD regularly. My RD did not believe in the one ultimate diet. She worked within your tastes and body's preferences. I think that is key. I would say the most helpful thing she did is help me set biweekly SMART goals. SMART stands for
  1. Specific
  2. Measurable
  3. Achievable
  4. Relevant
  5. Time bound
It really helped. It was not goals like lose 2 lbs by week. It was like do this specific change to your behavior which will likely lead to weight loss.

It sounds like you have the basic understanding how weight loss works. So did I. However, I couldn't make it work. This approach really helped me. It has helped me other parts of my life: focusing on behavior patterns rather than the end result I want.
It's definitely my behavior patterns that are causing the problems. Maybe I need to figure out why I like to sabotage myself so much
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-22, 01:29 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
There is a popular Twin Cities dietitian who left the field because the American Dietitian Association didn't reflect and support the current science for healthy lifestyle and eating.

Yikes. Makes me feel a teensy bit better about my own confusion.
Old 02-17-22, 04:11 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBetty View Post
...do this specific change to your behavior which will likely lead to weight loss.

... This approach really helped me. It has helped me other parts of my life: focusing on behavior patterns rather than the end result I want.
This is also my experience. i changed 1 thing a few months ago and was able to lose 5 #s in time for my cholesterol blood test (which came out lower - lower cholesterol and blood sugar).

the one thing? stopped snacking after dinner!

neck pain: started centering my skull directly over my spine. within a few HOURS - no neck pain!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-22, 04:26 PM  
Nelly G

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post

the one thing? stopped snacking after dinner!
Hi Jeannine,

Great what you did. I have no need for snacks all day except after dinner. I have a hubby that loves snacking after dinner so that does not help.
Do you have advice. I love to hear. Thanks in advance
Nelly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-22, 05:32 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly G View Post
Hi Jeannine,

Great what you did. I have no need for snacks all day except after dinner. I have a hubby that loves snacking after dinner so that does not help.
Do you have advice. I love to hear. Thanks in advance
Hi Nelly!
i discovered that i was snacking after dinner as a habit and not because i was hungry. i observed my legs walking into the kitchen, then i'd open the frig or look in the cupboard for snacks. and they weren't healthy foods!

so instead, after dinner, i'd plan to do something, like laundry or a chore, or even going to VF and read stuff. fortunately, i do not eat at the computer - i am likely to get crumbs or liquid on the keyboard, and i don't want that, so i know that surfing the internet will not involve eating.

i also do not eat in the bedroom. your habits could be different than mine. in my case, if i really want something in my mouth, i just drink water or herb tea.

my snacking after dinner:
- was mindless
- occurred in the kitchen
- was out of habit
- was replaceable with other non-food activities

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nutrition, nutrition tracking