Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-06-22, 03:32 PM  
Leonana

Trader Joe’s has salt free peanut butter. I’ve found chicken stock to have more flavor than the broth, and Swanson has a salt free version.

It does take some getting used to. I also find that regular food tastes too salty to me now.

I was trying for 1500 and it is hard. When I was tracking it, I think I was at 1800 to 2000.
Old 06-06-22, 07:18 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I am still struggling with preparing food for my husband's relatively low salt diet. It's been about 6 weeks now, and we're just scraping by with meals. I've given it my all buying low salt or no salt ingredients, buying low salt cookbooks, modifying recipes, and just cutting some of our favorite meals out entirely, but what typically happens is that I put a lot of effort into making something from scratch, and then we sit down to eat it and it's just OK (and sometimes awful) and not really worth the effort it took to make it. I am so tired of fish and chicken that tastes like cardboard, and plain quinoa is just awful. Neither one of us can see a nutritionist on our health insurance, and I'm not sure that a nutritionist could help with cooking anyway. The idea of sticking with this for the rest of our lives is starting to get depressing.

bfit, I have been cooking without salt for years, and at this point, both DH and I hate the taste of salt. You will get used to the lack of salt. I cook a lot (and recently wrote a cookbook), and use all kinds of spices. My favorite spices are pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and basil. I also use various other spices to make dishes interesting, like smoked paprika for grilled chicken.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high blood pressure, low sodium, salt