Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-22, 01:23 PM  
SamS

Essentrics TV: Which instructors or sessions should I look for?

I recently subscribed to Essentrics TV. I had a Classical Stretch DVD set, I liked the feel of the movements and the ideas. But... I didn't reach for it because of all the chatting also it felt like she spent a lot of time on the first side but hardly any time on the second side. I get that if I learned the program it wouldn't be as much of a problem, but I have a relatively low tolerance for too much chatter during an on-demand or streaming workout. I find I rarely reach for such workouts a second time.

Are there are classes or workouts that stay on topic and spend equal time on both sides? I like explanations of the technique though, just not too much chatting if that makes sense.

I subscribed to Essentrics because I wanted some low-impact, feel-good movement I could do in my apartment without disturbing downstairs neighbors. I have been doing a fair amount of yoga and it meets that need, but I want to give my wrists a break.
SamS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-22, 02:11 PM  
Izzy

Everyone has their own taste so this is just my opinion.

I really like their live classes. My favorite instructors are Gail, Amanda, Sahra, and some who are no longer there like Sasha and Meg.

There are also "workshops." These are more instructional in that they explain the moves, purpose, how to do them correctly etc.

Take some time to search the site. You can search by instructor, level, length of class, focus etc. You can then add the classes you personally like to your "list."

Some of the live classes go away after 48 hours but some they keep on their site. Especially the ones that are part of a challenge. I will go back and re-do these live classes over and over.

Adding your personal preference to your list really helps the time you spend searching. I did this on a slow work day and just went through and added ones I really liked be that it might be focus, length, level to my list. When new ones come on the site and I like it I add it to my list.

There is a lot of variety and lots to explore. The fact that they continuously add new material at all levels is really awesome.
Old 02-26-22, 09:01 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I've been using the streaming service for years, and admit I sometimes get overwhelmed by the choices. I've also found that after doing Essentrics and learning the techniques from the various instructors, I can now use the CS episodes with less frustration

I would suggest starting with the "Main Objectives" categories, and just pick something that you want or need that day. Toning? Stretch? Cardio? Standing? Floor? There's plenty of overlap, and you can do the strength workouts a little looser, if needed. All the instructors have good form pointers and it seems I learn something new with each workout.

I know we don't want to waste time trying something we might not like, but with so much content, you just have to jump in. I'm trying to introduce a friend to the program and this is what I'll probably tell her. It might take a few tries to find what you prefer.
Old 02-26-22, 10:38 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Anything by Gail or Sahra, and Sasha and Meg (please come back!!!).

I tend to vary standing, floor, and barre through the week.

I'm a huge CS season 12 fan for the scenery!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-22, 11:34 AM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
Anything by Gail or Sahra, and Sasha and Meg (please come back!!!).

I tend to vary standing, floor, and barre through the week.

I'm a huge CS season 12 fan for the scenery!
I love season 12 so far. I've only run across one episode I was meh about because I'm new to the barre work and felt like I was all over the place, but everything else has been perfect for my level and beautiful scenery to boot. I want to do more of Sahra's workouts just for different and possibly better instructions, but I keep reaching for the ones filmed outside. I'm trying very badly to not buy season 14 and Reboot and Rebalance until the summer sale.

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-22, 11:40 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I am enjoying the newer live workouts with Lauren, Jenny, Ellyn, Gail, Sahra, Dyan, & Amanda.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-22, 08:43 AM  
DCW

I haven't done any of Season 14 yet. But the vibrant colors and greenery is what I need while spring still sleeps. It was nice to see flowers and green grass.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-22, 09:55 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I thought of something else. There is a section where the workouts are organized by length. I often pick a "15 minutes or less" routine. They're more targeted (some release, some toning), and some are simply sections from a longer routine, but that might be a good way to try different instructors without a huge time investment.
Old 02-27-22, 11:09 AM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
I haven't done any of Season 14 yet. But the vibrant colors and greenery is what I need while spring still sleeps. It was nice to see flowers and green grass.
I agree, in terms of scenery this is my favorite season. I love the mountains, flowers, and greenery.
Old 02-27-22, 01:57 PM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I agree, in terms of scenery this is my favorite season. I love the mountains, flowers, and greenery.
I'm trying not to buy it until it's on sale. : But honestly I hope they will film more outdoor workouts with their own beautiful natural scenery, when it's warm enough.

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
essentrics, essentrics instructors, essentrics tv