Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-22, 08:41 AM  
Vantreesta

Linda, you saw Cathe in a thrift store?? Wow! I don't think I've seen that yet!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-22, 10:51 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Yup. It's super rare I see any but they had several titles ...Low max, Drill max and Imax 2 and Hardcore extreme were just some of the titles I remembered.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-22, 11:27 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
This is something I have debated regarding my own collection. So far, I have been sharing duplicates. However, there are a few I have held onto concerned I might regret it if I didn't keep a backup. Especially when product appears, it is typically not new or in very good condition. It's a conundrum!

Anywho, picked up some new to me treasures with trade in value: Donna Richardson's Body Gospel set, Sweating in the spirit 2, 3 day rotation.
Firm Zip Trainer DVD set (without the ball), Firm Zip Trainer cardio dvd,
Keli Roberts Flexibility for the inflexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Quote:
Yup. It's super rare I see any but they had several titles ...Low max, Drill max and Imax 2 and Hardcore extreme were just some of the titles I remembered.
coincidentally, Cathe's Hardcore series titles are the ones I see more often than her other titles on the off-chance that I do spot any Cathe DVDs. on two separate rare occasions, I picked up her Travel Fit and one of her Gym Styles.
Quote:
I think this was the first time in a long time that I saw so many items that weren't Jillian, Leslie or Element/Gaiam yoga.
It's gotten to a point where Leslie has become rare. I usually see Tae Bo.

The Firm Zip Trainer DVD set is one i've had on my wishlist off and on. I don't own the Zip Trainer or an Ugi ball, but i do have a Bosu and assorted medicine balls.

regarding sharing duplicates, I only pick them up if I know specifically that one of my frequent VF traders is looking for it. I've gotten stuck with what I thought were "good to have for trade/SASE."

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-22, 12:00 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
It's gotten to a point where Leslie has become rare. I usually see Tae Bo.
I wonder if I see so many Leslie's here because the outdoor walking involves so many hills so people buy these instead

Quote:
The Firm Zip Trainer DVD set is one i've had on my wishlist off and on. I don't own the Zip Trainer or an Ugi ball, but i do have a Bosu and assorted medicine balls.
What I previewed looked like it would be pretty easy to adapt with my med balls and BOSU. I haven't actually tried yet so can't say for sure.

Quote:
regarding sharing duplicates, I only pick them up if I know specifically that one of my frequent VF traders is looking for it.
I can see that. I am actually talking about reducing duplicates from my own collection that at some point I thought I "should keep" a backup copy or ended up with a duplicate because I purchased a set that had bonus workouts I wanted.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-22, 12:11 PM  
Vantreesta

It would be great to find Cathe!

The Goodwill closest to us doesn't have very many workouts. The thrift stores usually go to typically has a lot of pregnancy workouts, Jillian, some Denise. Winsor used to be in abundance but now I don't see many. They've had a few Turbo Jams, Kettleworx and Power Half Hour for a long time. There's usually some Firms too.

I have duplicate VHS of the Cher workouts and a backup of Winsor Bun & Thigh Sculpting. I would consider backups of CLX and TurboFire if I saw them cheap. There may be others too. Oh, all of Jill Miller's!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-22, 06:00 PM  
Leonana

I didn’t buy this, but I found a 35 pound iron dumbbell, old with the silver finish flaking off, at Goodwill. It was priced $69.49! I checked Amazon and they had one new for $50.99, $7.99 delivery. Another one was $70 with free delivery. Goodwill’s pricing is getting pretty high.
Old 02-22-22, 06:59 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I didn’t buy this, but I found a 35 pound iron dumbbell, old with the silver finish flaking off, at Goodwill. It was priced $69.49! I checked Amazon and they had one new for $50.99, $7.99 delivery. Another one was $70 with free delivery. Goodwill’s pricing is getting pretty high.
For only 69.49 you can have this rusty dumbbell with a side of tetanus!
Ummm. no. I don't have much luck at Goodwill so I don't go there often. However, reading through this thread makes me think I need to visit my local Amvets thrift store as I haven't been there in a few months.
Old 02-22-22, 09:09 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

So weird about the high price of the dumbbell!

I was kind of disappointed when the Goodwill stores around here moved to standardized prices for their clothing - e.g., all short-sleeve shirts are one price, all long-sleeve shirts, all dresses, etc. There are no allowances now for condition, brand, or anything like that. They used to also have a daily half-price sticker plus another sticker for 99-cent items, and now they only do the 99-cent items once a week.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-22, 10:48 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

that dumbbell price/condition reminds me of similar ads i see on craigslist - aren't they ashamed of posting something like that?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-22, 12:40 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
For only 69.49 you can have this rusty dumbbell with a side of tetanus!
Ummm. no. I don't have much luck at Goodwill so I don't go there often. However, reading through this thread makes me think I need to visit my local Amvets thrift store as I haven't been there in a few months.
Lol. I have to admit, I’m finding less and less at Goodwill nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
So weird about the high price of the dumbbell!

I was kind of disappointed when the Goodwill stores around here moved to standardized prices for their clothing - e.g., all short-sleeve shirts are one price, all long-sleeve shirts, all dresses, etc. There are no allowances now for condition, brand, or anything like that. They used to also have a daily half-price sticker plus another sticker for 99-cent items, and now they only do the 99-cent items once a week.
Our Goodwills still vary prices, although they aren’t always consistent. I look for that item that someone accidentally priced lower than the rest. We still have one color half off each week and dollar day Thursdays. Tuesday is 25% off for Seniors and same for students on Sunday. We can also get a 20% off coupon each month in their newsletter. Minimum purchase is $20 though. However, with the popularity of reselling nowadays and people trying to save money, the stores are crowded and deals are harder to find.

Tags
thrift store finds