Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-12-20, 12:14 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
If you've been doing pilates for 8 years and you enjoy it, you can probably keep doing it, although you might need some modifications...
ETA - Just wanted to add that I don't think it is unusual to feel paranoid when you first receive an osteoporosis diagnosis. When I first found out, I was afraid to do much of anything, thinking my bones were going to shatter into bits if I didn't bubble wrap myself and sit in a corner. Now it's four years later and while I'm aware of it, I don't dwell on it. And so far, knock wood, I've not had any fractures.
On learning I now had osteoporosis and not just osteopenia it took me a couple of days to get over the shock and to realize what I can probably continue with, with what modifications, and other things I should avoid completely. It had also dawned on me that for probably the previous six months I had been naturally, automatically, supporting myself when I reached and bent over to do things, so I now pay most attention to how supported or not I am when I do bend my spine but try to keep a neutral/flat back spine where possible.

Perhaps the greatest help in reconciling myself to my situation was to see how much Rebekah Rotstein is able to do with her osteoporosis. She was a Pilates instructor at the time she was diagnosed and so what she is able to do might not be recommended for others with osteoporosis but if you have been doing Pilates and other exercises, for the most part you can probably continue with just slight or various modifications as LAC stated above.

By the way Rebekah's Pilates dvd is entitled "Buff Bones" and she has a series of free video clips on Vimeo which show her doing things you might not expect, including spirals and twists. You have to judge for yourself what your capabilities and risks are.
Old 02-13-20, 01:15 PM  
killoffsonny

Thank you Judith. I've had both of my Pilates instructors tell me I could keep doing what I've been doing. I am careful when rolling like a ball. The instructor yesterday told me to make sure I stay off my neck. Just roll to the shoulders.

Another one of my instructors told me that one of her fellow pilates instructors has osteoporosis and continues to do everything. No modifications. She's had it for years and continues with all her activities.
Old 02-13-20, 04:14 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by killoffsonny View Post
I am careful when rolling like a ball.
It's funny, probably my first concern when I heard my diagnosis was the thought that I could no longer roll like a ball or do roll ups! I didn't dare do them for a couple of weeks and I really, really missed them. I finally decided since I had been doing them without any difficulty and they make me feel so good, and Rebekah does what she does, I could continue. (I confess for roll ups I put my feet in a strap which is tied to my Fluidity bar which is weighted down with weights -- something I've allowed myself since I learned that Joe P had everyone always use the straps on the mats no matter how advanced they were.)

I think it's important we keep active and hydrated, moving our spine to be sure there's good circulation there.

Tags
osteoporosis, pilates