Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-19, 07:51 AM  
sherry7899

for those of you who use fitness trackers...

I am debating about buying a Polar A370. I am looking for input from people here who use fitness trackers.

Do you end up getting obsessed with the numbers? I am worried about doing that. I had a Fitibt (clip on kind I think they stopped making) a few years ago and I got a little too obsessed with hitting step goals and ended up straining my hip/lower back!

I want to use it more this time for my heart rate and sleep tracking, and as as reminder to get up and move more. It will be interesting to see the calories burned for workouts, but I don't want to get too focused on that.

Thanks!
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-19, 10:46 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Hi Sherry!

I just upgraded to a Fitbit Inspire HR, and so far, I love it (except no way does the battery life extend to 5 days). I have a desk job, so I appreciate the nudging to get up and move. But I set my daily step goal to 4K or 5K because that's a more reasonable goal for my work situation. I'll add on 500 steps per week if I consistently reach my weekly goal. I pretty much ignore the calories burned feature. I love the sleep tracking. It tracks light, REM, and deep sleep, and now I know for sure that I'm not getting enough sleep.

When I had another Fitbit, I was getting a bit obsessed with the numbers (as in, "Oh, my walk didn't 'count' because I wasn't wearing my Fitbit"). In fact, DH and I joke that if Fitbit doesn't record it, it didn't happen! But now I'm looking at it as just data and a motivation tool. I may not have reached my step goal yesterday, for instance, but I logged more steps than I would have just sitting in my office all day.

David Sedaris wrote a hilarious piece called "Stepping Out," where he writes about his obsession with logging steps. It was published in the New Yorker and available online.

Hope that helps!

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-19, 10:49 AM  
sherry7899

Thank you so much, Joan! I want to use it for motivation as well I am glad it is working for you.

Old 05-23-19, 11:11 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I’ve had a Fitbit for several years, my latest one is a Charge 3. I love it because it’s waterproof and holds a charge for almost a week. I like to get 10,000 steps a day, but don’t always get there. I used to obsess about it but I don’t any more. It does encourage me to move.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-19, 03:26 PM  
kat999

I've had several different Fitbit models, a Jawbone, and now use an Apple Watch, which is now my favorite. I think as long as you decide what you want to use it for, you don't need to get too obsessive about it. I eventually went to an AW because it focuses less on steps and more on specific fitness goals, which you can adjust based on what you want/need. Plus it functions as just an actual wristwatch most of the time, and as an ancillary to my cell phone.

Use it for what you think is healthy for you to be mindful of.
Old 05-23-19, 07:58 PM  
DCW

I have the Fitbit Blaze. When I wonder why my feet hurt or hips feel wonky, I look at my steps and if I am over 15,000 steps my body doesn't like it. So I use my Fitbit to help me stay injury free. A couple of times a week is ok. But otherwise my body protests.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-19, 08:06 PM  
sherry7899

Thank you for the input. I appreciate it!

Old 05-23-19, 09:05 PM  
Vantreesta

I'm obsessed, no question. I admit I still wear my pedometer as I have for the past two decades plus my Fitbit. I record steps etc for every dog walk and my totals every night. When my Charge 2 is charging I wear my Flex. But full disclosure, I obsess about pretty much EVERYTHING! When I run I have sometimes 4 things tracking my miles!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-19, 09:13 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I think I'm pretty obsessed with it, but I'm not necessarily trying to change that and it doesn't interfere with my life to such a degree that I won't go the movies because I'll have to be sitting for an extended period of time. It motivates to move and walk more than I would without it. I also weigh roughly 25 pounds less than I did when I first got one 3 years ago, although I know that's more related to decrease in stress, better diet, and increased weight training.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-19, 05:47 AM  
JessicaW

I have a Polar A370. I have always used polar for heart rate monitoring. I love this fitness tracker. I love the various attractive time display settings you can use. It's so comfortable and the online polar community is pretty active. The only thing is the place where you plug it in and charge it always eventually breaks so I am on my third polar fitness tracker due to this issue. I swim in mine so maybe that is why. It's incredibly accurate in terms of steps and distance.
JessicaW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fit bit, fitbit, fitness tracker, fitness trackers