Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-05-18, 08:23 AM  
Carol K

I'm 60. I started the menopause process when I was 49, but I had been losing and gaining the same 10-15 lbs all my adult life. When I was 49, I was at my highest weight. The year I turned 50 I lost 18 lbs with calorie control and exercise. I completed menopause by the time I was 52. I kept the weight off for awhile, but by the time I was 57. I had gained 10 lbs again. I finally decided to get off that ride. I lost 11 lbs in 3 months (same methods) and I've kept it off by weighing myself every morning and if I've gained a lb or two, I take it off immediately instead of waiting to gain more. This has been the answer for me. All that said, if I suddenly found myself with a very large abdomen, I would see a doctor immediately. My stomach isn't as flat as it used to be, but I haven't see any drastic changes in the shape of my body.
Old 05-05-18, 08:28 AM  
sherry7899

Please see a doctor . A sudden bulging abdomen can be a sign of ovarian cancer. I am not trying to panic you, but please get it checked. A friend of my dh's wife had ovarian cancer found this way.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-18, 10:03 AM  
Demeris

A bulging abdomen can also be a sign of a seriously compromised liver. Go get it checked out.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-18, 11:27 AM  
Sara1000

Hopefully it is just middle aged spread. If that is the case, here's what worked for me.

A Margaret Richard Unplugged workout 3-4 times a week.
Walk a mile almost every morning.
A half hour on the stationary bike almost every afternoon.
I stopped any sweet snacks.

After a few months I noticed my 'pooch' was virtually gone and I could wear pants and shorts I thought I had put away forever. A reminder, though, a little fat around the waist is supposed to improve your immune system.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-18, 11:53 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I turn 60 in a couple of days and am pretty bummed out about it. I mean, it's going to happen but I'm wondering where the last 35 years went since my son was born. It seems like a flash.

I struggled with my weight during peri and meno, but post-meno I lost 10 pounds eating just the same as when I was trying to fend off the meno weight. I'm thicker in the middle though. My biggest problems aren't weight related or cosmetic (except for those the damn wrinkles and saggy arms). The curvature of my scoliosis has gotten worse and I also have osteopenia, so I've really got to be diligent there.

I put weight training ahead of cardio, and keep a steady regimen of yoga and Pilates going. When I do cardio it's only fun and low key, like Bellyfit and casual walking. For weights, I challenge myself at the gym twice a week and rotate KCM and Margaret Richard on work nights.

Six or so months ago I added Classical Stretch and have my fingers crossed that Miranda's bone strengthening claims will bear fruit for me. Balance is extremely important and I feel CS and standing yoga poses are good balance challengers.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-18, 12:01 PM  
Carol K

I had my first bone density scan at 57 and I had osteopenia too. I told my doctor I was working out with weights and doing some high-impact, I have milk and yogurt everyday and I was taking 600 mg. calcium. He told me to increase it to 1200 mg. Two years later I had another bone density scan and my osteopenia was gone. I wouldn't have thought it would be that easy.
Old 05-05-18, 01:46 PM  
DCW

Thanks for everyone's words of wisdom.

I gained weight due to work stress. My work stress was so bad I did not even notice peri-menopause. I did not have hot flashes so I had no clue. Work stress eliminated and I am finding myself again. Folks are now telling me I lost too much weight and look better having gained some weight. The irony is I don't look haggard, stressed, and sleep deprived. It isn't the weight. I think wearing clothes that fit makes a difference, too.

I lost weight due to writing down every morsel I put in my mouth. Nothing like looking at the truth.

I have exercised on and off for years. I swear Classical Stretch/Essentrics gave me my figure back. It is not the figure I had at 25 or 35. But I feel great. I still have the extra saggy skin but such is life. Thank goodness for Under Armour.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-18, 03:02 PM  
Carol K

I didn't have hot flashes either, probably because I was taking birth control pills. My only clue was that I would get headaches during the week I wasn't taking the pills and I only had periods every 6 months for two years.
Old 05-05-18, 03:03 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Our experiences after 60 will obviously vary as we do as individuals. I have had to be vigilant all my life about my weight/fitness, as I tend to gain weight easily and was heavy as a child. Since my recent weight loss, I have noticed a difference in my skin, and my small stomach bulge also includes some loose skin. Overall, I am learning to be happy with the shape I am in, and be the best and healthiest "me" that I can be at my age and going forward. Based on relatives and friends of similar age and their multitude of health issues, I can see where my 30+ years of regular exercise have made all the difference in my experience.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-18, 03:11 PM  
Carol K

I feel the same way. When I get together with friends my age, there is so much talk about aches and pains that I don't have. I honestly don't care what my thighs look like anymore. I'm just happy that my pants are comfortable and I can walk without pain.

Tags
aging, cancer, fibroids, menopausal weight gain, menopause, menopot, old talk, over 50