Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-05-18, 01:22 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post
My weight gain was during peri menopause when I had a ferocious appetite that nothing seemed to subdue. Gained 15 pounds. Am now 51 and post menopause lost the weight plus more with normal appetite regular exercise and feel great. So there is a light at the end of the tunnel 😊
This is very encouraging! Like you, I've gained 15-20 pounds during perimenopause, but now that I'm close to being in menopause (one more month to go), I have noticed that I've been able to lose weight and my appetite has lessened. For a few years there I had a voracious appetite. Hooray!
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 01:52 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I haven't touched soda or diet soda in years, only some beers on the weekends, drink water all day, one coffee in the morning. Have eaten clean (except for some occasional weekend meals) for the better part of 10 years, gone mostly vegan in the last year. Work out five days a week, try to cycle my workouts between different intensities.

Now that I'm in perimeno, I have gained at least 15 pounds in the past three years all in my midsection, and my bras and jeans don't fit anymore. So depressing...
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 02:00 PM  
warriorprincess

Short answer is yes, but it leveled off at ten pounds for me.

I went menopausal at 47, gained ten pounds, then went on BHRT at 48 when I was diagnosed with osteoporosis, and the ten pounds fell off like magic. After a number of years, my bone density went up but my periods got crazy heavy, so I stopped the hormones. The ten pounds came back. The bone density is starting to deteriorate. I don't really care about the weight. I don't look all that different. But I'm scared to death of osteoporosis since my Grandma and Mom suffered greatly with it. It's the balance between bone density and heavy bleeding that is driving me nuts. I will likely go back on hormones soon.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 02:05 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Yup, it's normal, it happens to a lot of us and there are lots of threads about it.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 04:24 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I read somewhere and interesting theory about menopausal weight gain. The theory is that some estrogen is stored in your body fat. The body still needs estrogen after menopause, so the body is storing extra fat since the ovaries aren't producing it anymore.

I started a thread about four years ago that still sums up my thoughts on menopause. Of course, I know that everyone's experience is different:

Menopause vs. Just Plain Getting Older
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=204873

I think this old thread addressed some of what I was trying to say in my post.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 07:15 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I think that gaining some weight is "normal" during and post menopause. The thing I noticed the most is some shifting around of fat stores. I was always a pear, and now I'm more of an apple based on my midsection. Until very recently, I was having a lot of trouble keeping my weight down, but I did some alterations in my diet (nothing drastic--life isn't worth living without m & m's) and have increased the workouts that incorporate weights. Even so, I still am a little heavier but I'm okay with it.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 08:24 PM  
ronnee
VF Supporter

Between menopause and having 5 surgeries I gained 16 lbs over a two year period. In mid-August I decided to tackle the weight gain and have been keeping a food journal and eating less (but not too restrictive). I've lost 1.5-2lbs a month! VERY slow, but it adds up. I'm down about 8lbs so far. I will say, it became easier to lose the weight after being in menopause for a year and a half. During the two or so years I weighed more, I focused on fitness goals and health, fyi. That made me feel good about my body in general.

Ronnee
ronnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 08:27 PM  
Lori_Michigan

This thread made me think of progesterone cream -- I tried natural progesterone cream after I went off the pill about 20 years ago (!) to balance out my hormones. It really helped me with a lot of the same symptoms I've been having in the past few years. I think I may give that a try again. Has anyone else tried that, and if so, any successes, and moreover, any brands to recommend?
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-18, 10:06 PM  
Genevieve M

I went through menopause at 52, while being treated for breast cancer. Sailed throough my 50's without any weight gain, then last year, at 59, almost overnight, I woke up with a spare tire around my waist.

Never had any issues with my mid-section; it was always my lower half. My PCP, also a woman, says that this is what happens after 60.

Tried my usual exercise, kettlebells, also walking. I had muscles; they were just surrounded by a layer of fat.

I have gained 30 lbs since last year and gone up two sizes. I know if I cut my calories WAY back, that it may help, but is that really sustainable.

My therapist says that I should just accept this change.
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-18, 11:21 PM  
Orlita

I gained 10 lbs. somewhat suddenly during perimenopause (starting right at 50), and it would not budge, no matter what. So frustrating!

But suddenly now at age 53, and for no particular reason I could pinpoint, the weight began dropping off again. I think my hormones are calming down, finally. So nice to fit into my pre-50 clothing again.

I do still have a pooch, though (I have always had slim hips/legs and slightly poochy belly). And my back isn't fat but it's flabby. So I think some of that will be hard to overcome. But I'm happy for at least one victory. And I do hope to work harder on building more strength in 2018.

Good luck! Watch out also for a sudden and inexplicable (and SO hard to heal) frozen shoulder. It is very common during menopause. I did not realize what was going on until it was too late to nip it in the bud, and it has taken years to heal (with PT & chiro and tons of patience and humility).

ETA: I never took any hormones or medications for menopause.
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, menopause, menopot, peri-menopause, perimenopause, weight gain